Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

All Pink Panther films - are they single or dual layer (DVD-5 or DVD-9)?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-12-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To anyone who owns and has opened up The Pink Panther Film Collection 6-DVD set, The Son of the Pink Panther MGM single DVD release, or The Curse of the Pink Panther MGM single DVD release...

Could you please tell me if each DVD is a single layer (DVD-5) or dual-layer (DVD-9) disc?

I would really appreciate knowing this info. I have searched all over the Internet and have not found any reliable info on the format of these movies (I do not consider DVD Empire's info reliable). The reviews I've found on these have conflicting data, so I need a definitive answer from someone who owns them. While most people may not care, DVD-5 vs. DVD-9 is very important to my buying decision. Thank you.
Old 02-13-06, 03:18 AM

Manzana,
I checked out my boxset of the Pink Panther Fil Collection and here's what I found:
While it does not say anyplace on the packaging whether or not they are dual-layered, I did find out the capacity of each disk. This is telling because, as I understand it, the dual layered is used to hold more info. Now every disk in the set, except 1 is less than 4 GB. The one that is more than 4 GB (#1, The Pink Panther) has an audio commentary, probably bumping up the total to that number. All the other extras in the set are on a seperate disk (disk 6), which may explain why the rest of the disks have such low numbers.

I would assume that since the rest of the disks would fit easily on a standard, single-layered 4.7GB DVD, that these (disks 2-6) are single-layered. I don't see why the studio would waste a double-layer disk when they don't need to.

hope that helps.
Old 02-13-06, 08:43 AM

Mod-Mod Worlld, thanks so much for checking your discs! I've been trying to get this info for quite a while. It sounds entirely believable that disc #1 is DVD-9 and the rest are DVD-5 in the Film Collection. That means they could've used about half as many discs (2 movies each) without losing any content or quality. It also explains the rumor I heard that the single disc re-issues are all DVD-5, and why the commentary appears to have been dropped from #1. Old films (especially with a lot of film grain) really need higher bit rates (and DVD-9) to look good, but the reviews I've read (which don't discuss how full the discs are) indicate these are good transfers.

With the answers to these questions, all I need to know is the same thing about Curse of the Pink Panther and Son of the Pink Panther, though chances are very high (now that I know the Film Collection is mostly DVD-5) that they are DVD-5 too.

Last edited by Manzana; 02-20-06 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-14-06, 03:06 AM

I checked the disk #1 again, and it's 6.23 GB.
I think the set looks pretty good too, and they are all anamorphic. I have not seen the original issues, but I'll bet these look a lot better (maybe DVD Beaver has a comparison) even though they fit on a single-layer disk.
I have not seen Curse of or Son of, so I'm not sure what type of disks those are....
Old 02-14-06, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Mod-Mod Worlld, thanks so much for checking your discs! I've been trying to get this info for quite a while. It sounds entirely believable that disc #1 is DVD-9 and the rest are DVD-5 in the Film Collection. That means they could've used about half as many discs (2 movies each) without losing any content or quality. It also explains the rumor I heard that the single disc re-issues are all DVD-5, and why the commentary appears to have been dropped from #1. Old films (especially with a lot of film grain) really need higher bit rates (and DVD-9) to look good, but the reviews I've read (which don't discuss how full the discs are) indicate these are good transfers.

Do you remember how full disc #1 (The Pink Panther) was? Was it barely over 5 GB or up near 7 or 8 GB? (The DVD-5 limit is roughly 4,690,000,000 bytes which is about 4470 MB.) If they are less than 4 GB each then MGM wasted some space even on the DVD-5s.

With the answers to these questions, all I need to know is the same thing about Curse of the Pink Panther and Son of the Pink Panther, though chances are very high (now that I know the Film Collection is mostly DVD-5) that they are DVD-5 too.
Wow, you put way too much thought in your DVD buying. Relax, you'll live longer. Pink Panther collection is a great set of films. Don't let your OCD get in the way of your enjoyment.
Old 02-14-06, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mod-Mod-World
I checked the disk #1 again, and it's 6.23 GB.
I think the set looks pretty good too, and they are all anamorphic. I have not seen the original issues, but I'll bet these look a lot better (maybe DVD Beaver has a comparison) even though they fit on a single-layer disk.
I have not seen Curse of or Son of, so I'm not sure what type of disks those are....
Thanks. I saw the original issues and they were not that good, so anamorphic should make a big difference. The only thing I'm bummed about is that MGM didn't spend a little extra money to go dual layer for a much higher bitrate.

It seems like a logical guess to conclude if MGM cheaped out on the Film Collection (except for the first movie), that the Curse of and Son of are probably also low bitrate DVD-5s.