Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man 3 news (new character announced, so potential spoiler?)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-18-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to a report on AICN, Sam Raimi is intent on bringing Gwen Stacy into the storyline. Apparently they've signed Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron Howard's daughter) to play the part. Good casting choice, in my opinion. She can easily go blonde, and she's got the acting chops to pull off any role she's signed to play. I say that having only seen her in one film: Manderlay. Caught it back in October or November or so, and throughout the film I kept wondering who the lovely and talented young lead actress was.

Anyway, so there's that..

-JP
Old 01-18-06, 10:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't seem like a spoiler to me.

And color me surprised you didn't see THE VILLAGE.
Old 01-18-06, 11:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
They already combined Gwen's story into Mary Jane's. If they were going to do this they shouldn't have had MJ in the first one at all and brought her in film 2. In the comics, there was a running gag forever where Aunt May was trying to set Peter up with her friend's daughter but he kept avoiding it...until the big reveal (that she was a babe).

I'm not a literalist that demands absolute verisimilitude in media adaptations, but why confuse things when there's a perfectly good way to do it?
Old 01-18-06, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Doesn't seem like a spoiler to me.

And color me surprised you didn't see THE VILLAGE.
Well, some people don't like to know what story archs are going to be in the next film in the series, so I figured I'd offer a warning for those few. Wouldn't want to ruin anything for them, so better safe than sorry.

As for "The Village," I was intending to see it...but I loathed "Signs" and heard all of the horrible reviews, so I decided to skip it in the theaters. I picked it up on DVD (found it for $3, and I'd seen the rest of Shymalan's work, so I figured it was worth picking up for a future viewing), but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

-JP
Old 01-18-06, 11:42 PM

Now you have a blond playing a red head, and a red head playing a blond.
Old 01-19-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
where's the devil for comfirmation?
Old 01-19-06, 01:06 AM

Didn't you say you only lasted 'halfway' into Manderlay?

Last edited by cfloyd3; 01-19-06 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-19-06, 01:10 AM

Yep, which was plenty long enough to get a grasp on her acting abilities.

-JP
Old 01-19-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Well nobody picked her when I asked the question.
Old 01-19-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
where's the devil for comfirmation?
It already hit the trades.... though I did see a cast list today.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1001881352

Jan. 19, 2006

'Spider-Man 3' casts its web over Howard

Bryce Dallas Howard is in negotiations to play Peter Parker's love interest Gwen Stacy in Columbia Pictures' "Spider-Man 3." Sam Raimi is directing the movie, which is scheduled to roll this month. Gwen is pivotal in Spider-Man lore as Peter's high school crush, his first girlfriend and his first love. She ended up being kidnapped by the Green Goblin and died during a bridgetop battle in "Amazing Spider-Man" issue 121. In "Spider-Man," Columbia put Mary Jane Watson, a later love interest of Peter's who was a model, in the Gwen role, casting Kirsten Dunst as the high school crush. The movie featured the famous battle on the bridge with the Green Goblin, though a Hollywood ending was added, and the character survived.
Old 01-19-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 01-19-06, 06:51 AM

I always wondered why they didn't use Gwen Stacey in the first film. It would have made perfect sense: Spidey versus Green Goblin with a climactic fight on a bridge.
Old 01-19-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was my personal choice for Gwen...as stated in another thread:
Old 01-19-06, 09:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
search is friend...

who would you cast as Gwen Stacy...
Old 01-19-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Didn't Bryce Howard replace Kirsten Dunst in the Village?
Old 01-19-06, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
A) I searched Spider-Man 3, and found no threads discussing the movie (such as the Superman and X-Men threads that are floating around).

B) You're only the third person to mention that thread. Way to be on the ball.

C) I still don't think this is a repost. This is an announcement, the other a hypothetical. It'd be like burying a "Brandon Routh confirmed to play Superman!" post deep within an old thread about "who would you cast to play Superman?"

-JP
Old 01-19-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I still don't think this is a repost. This is an announcement, the other a hypothetical. It'd be like burying a "Brandon Routh confirmed to play Superman!" post deep within an old thread about "who would you cast to play Superman?"

-JP
I fully agree. If you're not a mod, stop pretending you are and telling people how to post. This is new news, now a continuation of a "what if?" thread...
Old 01-19-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Huh. Weird. I too feel like it seems unnecessary to put Gwen Stacey into the current Spider-man movie storyline. Especially since they have modified MJ's role so much and given her a lot of what Gwen was in the comics. Strange choice.
Old 01-19-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I think they went with MJ in the first film because she's probably more well-known to casual fans of the series. I'm not sure how much they've screwed with continuity, but by the time I got around to reading Spiderman comics (late 80s) Gwen was dead and gone. Never had a problem with MJ being the choice.

And I'd watch Elisha Cuthbert read the phonebook - too bad
Old 01-19-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can add as many new women into Peter Parker's life as they want, but seeing the new villains in action are the only reason I'm interested in Spidey 3 at this point.
Old 01-19-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A) I searched Spider-Man 3, and found no threads discussing the movie (such as the Superman and X-Men threads that are floating around).
Spidey 3 villains revealed..

C) I still don't think this is a repost. This is an announcement, the other a hypothetical. It'd be like burying a "Brandon Routh confirmed to play Superman!" post deep within an old thread about "who would you cast to play Superman?"
I put a in my post because as Jack and I have discussed off board, I already knew the character was going to be in it, just no word of casting at that time. It's a hypothetical in "who would you like to SEE play the part", but not a "I'd Like Gwen Stacy to be in the next movie".
Old 01-19-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
from me. Not really familiar with the whole MJ/Gwen Stacy comic storyline anyway.
Old 01-19-06, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Xander
I too feel like it seems unnecessary to put Gwen Stacey into the current Spider-man movie storyline. Especially since they have modified MJ's role so much and given her a lot of what Gwen was in the comics. Strange choice.
Exactly. Adding Gwen Stacey is absolutely unnecessary at this point. Her importance in the Spider-Man mythos is
Spoiler:
her death at the hands of the Green Goblin
. Adding that storyline to Spider-Man 3 seems silly if said villain somehow makes an appearance.
Old 01-19-06, 12:25 PM
Cool New Member

NO NO NO! Banish the thought of Elisha as anyone else but The Black Cat. Think about it... yum!!!
Old 01-19-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Morf
Exactly. Adding Gwen Stacey is absolutely unnecessary at this point. Her importance in the Spider-Man mythos is
Spoiler:
her death at the hands of the Green Goblin
. Adding that storyline to Spider-Man 3 seems silly if said villain somehow makes an appearance.
Well, there are a couple things here...

Kirsten doesn't want to continue playing MJ. Would you want to recast MJ? Here, they are thinking more towards the future of the series (if Sony chooses to further Spidey's adventures) and Gwen Stacy can continue a relationship with Peter.

As far as Gobby, well if you read some of my small tidbit comments in the other Spidey thread and it's not really hard to see this progression from the last film...
Spoiler:
there is a New Goblin so there are 3 villains: Sandman, Venom, Green Goblin. And heck, Dr. Connors is in the cast also, but no mention of the Lizard.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.