Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Return Policy w/out Receipt

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a few things for Christmas that I wanted to return to Best Buy. I did not have a receipt, but figured it was okay because nothing was opened or damaged.

I went to the customer service center and they were willing to except my returns until they found out I had exceeded my "return limit." The guy told me you are only allowed 3 returns without receipts at Best Buy.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is this 3 returns for your entire life or just per year? That kind of seems unfair to customers as not everyone keeps their receipts and things happen.

I was not looking for cash. Only store credit.
Old 12-30-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would call Best Buy corporate to find out their policy as a great deal of companies are doing this to protect their bottom line. I can think of another retailer who only allows 2 returns without a receipt within a 90 day period.

I do not know of ANY retailer that would make a policy that a customer can only return 3 items without a receipt for their entire life. They would literally be shooting themselves in the foot as this information would surely hurt their sales.

Anyone that works at Best Buy that can answer this ?

Here's their return policy per their website:
What is your return policy at Best Buy retail stores?

This policy applies only to purchases made at Best Buy retail stores and may vary slightly from Best Buy.com's Return Policy.

30-day Return Period
We accept returns or exchanges 30 days from the original purchase. Please review the details below.

14-day Return Period
We accept returns or exchanges 14 days from the original purchase on computers, monitors, printers, notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors.

Restocking Fee
Unless defective, a restocking fee of 15% will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems. Unless defective, a restocking fee of 25% will be charged on special order products, including appliances.

Missing Item or Damaged Product Fee
A missing item or damaged product fee will be charged for any product missing the original box, packaging material, contents, accessories and/or manuals (i.e., any product not in "like new" condition).

Return and Exchange Requirements
Your original receipt is required for all returns, exchanges, price matches and warranty repair services. All returns, exchanges and price adjustments must be made in the country of original purchase. For cash purchases over $250 and check purchases over $100, your refund will be issued by check from our corporate office within 14 business days of the return.

Personal Data
Please remove all personal data (e.g., computer or wireless phone data, videotapes) from any returned or exchanged products. Best Buy is not responsible for any personal data left on or in these items.

Nonreturnable Items
These items include labor and/or installation services; consumable items such as phone cards, gift cards, food and drink; or items that are damaged or abused. Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund. Any merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) is available for an even exchange only on the identical product.

Any product that is returned without promotional item(s) included with the original transaction (e.g., buy TV, get free DVD player; buy TV, get free gift card; or buy TV, get DVD player for half off) will have the value of the promotional item deducted from the refund amount.

Any product that was purchased when a mail-in rebate was available on the purchase is subject to having the amount of the rebate deducted from the refund amount.

Policy varies in Hawaii. See store for complete details.

Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return.

NOTICE the last line. Every retailer has that one in their policy. It allows them to deal with theives without having to worry about a lawyer getting into the picture. Of course they could file a discrimination lawsuit but that is another bag of worms.

I work for a retailer and KNOW what most return policies look like as EVERY retailer has them to protect against theives, scam artists, etcf, etc. Unfortunately due to the ignorant moronic nimrod theives out there, these policies have to be in place, or the prices for items in the store would go thru the roof to compensate for the loss of profits which would hurt everyone else's pocket book.

So it's a catch 22. Does a company allow anyone to return an item without a receipt as many times as they want and then in turn have to increase the prices of the items to compensate for this or do they develop a policy to deal with the small percentage(of which all scammers exist) of their customers that do this.

Yea, that's a tough one but there is no easy answer besides trying to escalate the issue. Theives will tend not do this as they do not want to draw attention to themselves if they do not need to. Of course there are the ones that will try to circumvent the policies or escalate the issue but they tend to get caught in the scam.

So, cornbetts, I'd escalate the issue to the store manager. If he cannot help you ask if you can speak with his district manager. If he will not allow you to do this. Ask for the corporate number and use that route. If I were to guess, you'll get the item returned for store credit if you escalate the issue.

Good luck and tell us what happens. At the very least find out what their policy is in reference to returns without a receipt. Is it 3 returns w/out a receipt for your lifetime or for 1 year(this is what i'd guess)?

But if I were you I'd just go shopping with a buddy and have them return it for store credit. I am a true believer in the road with least resistance.

Another option would be to return it to Walmart as they accept anything back. Or at least they used to. I've returned items to them without a receipt with no problem. Of course if it's not an item they carry then you would be SOL but another idea anyway.

Well, there's my short answer. Good luck!!!
Old 12-31-05, 02:34 PM

When I worked for Best Buy, if someone was in the same situation as you we would have to enter there driver license number and if you exceeded the amount of no reciept returns the computer wouldnt allow a return to be made. But with all situations there were ways around it. On a couple occasions if the person was nice about it we would try and work with them and do the return. As long as the item was still being carried by the store and it wasnt opened it wasn't really a big deal to just give store credit to the person, cause the store doesn't lose any money and gains a happy customer.
Old 12-31-05, 05:10 PM

Does anyone know if there is a firm number of "un-receipted" returns that can be made? I have heard the number of 3 per year, but I am not sure if that is a calendar year or a rolling 12-month period.

Of course, I always try to keep my receipts, but it's good to know what the non-published policy is.
Old 12-31-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I returned two items at Best Buy, with receipts, and as I walked in the store they tagged both items and stuck some 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper in my face saying it was their return policy. A full page of text, I balled it up and put it on the guys counter (he was rather rude to begin with). I'll not lose BB receipts and if I can buy an item ANYWHERE else close to their sale price I'll do it.

I really dislike BB.

(I could talk about the guy who kept following me around asking if he could help me, as I ignored him, then when I did acknowledge him he couldn't answer my question anyway. Not five minutes later he asked me again if he could help me. (not good with facial recognition) Or the guy who could not find the memory chip I wanted (sold out the first day of the sale), would not give me a raincheck nor did he recommend I get it online, which I did with free shipping.)