Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why Walmart Why?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why Walmart Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Walmart Why?

Here in the Southeastern MA area we have 5 Walmart in a 30 mile radius. When the new releases come out on Tuesday and they have there 'Bonus Disk' promotion, there is always one store that charges the same price for single disk or the bonus 2 disk set..The rest of the Walmarts all charge more (usually $20) for the bonus disk set. Does anyone know why one store charges the same but not all the others? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Walmart stores all owned by the same family?
Old 12-14-05, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am guessing they are mistaken at having both editions at same the price at that one store. I wouldn't tell them though!

:-)
Old 12-14-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I am guessing they are mistaken at having both editions at same the price at that one store. I wouldn't tell them though!"

My thoughts exactly!!
Old 12-14-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Walmart here always charges more for the bonus disk.
Old 12-14-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see these price differences at all my Walmarts too. One location, for example, had S5 and S6 of Seinfeld for $24.99 (along with all the earlier seasons), while the other, no more than 10 miles away, had each season for $35.99.
Old 12-14-05, 06:53 PM
Political Exile

Walmarts do charge different prices at their stores. They also charge different prices on their website then B&M stores.
Old 12-14-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have two super walmarts within 24 miles and another smaller store one about a mile away. The only one that offers discounted dvd prices on new releases is the super walmart that has a Target nearby for competition. Perhaps your situation is similar.

Take note, when or if walmart closes down their competition, prices will rise! Nice eh?
Old 12-14-05, 09:59 PM
Cool New Member

Walmarts base their prices alot on the location of the store. They also won't price match against other walmarts because some may have a Bestbuy next door and others might not have any large stores nearby.
Old 12-14-05, 10:35 PM

I have two WalMarts that I have easy access to - one near work, one near home. There's also a third that's not too far from me.

The one at work is near a Best Buy, with a Target a little further away. The one near home is near the whole gammut - BB, CC and Target. I've seen prices differ substantially between the stores. I remember once when the store near home was higher than the one near work.

I really, really don't like the fact that I can't go to one and be sure I'm getting the lowest price, and that I can't use their Web site to determine what the in-store price is. How can they use that "always low prices" line when they often get undercut by their own stores that are within driving distance of each other?
Old 12-15-05, 12:42 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I really, really don't like the fact that I can't go to one and be sure I'm getting the lowest price, and that I can't use their Web site to determine what the in-store price is. How can they use that "always low prices" line when they often get undercut by their own stores that are within driving distance of each other?
Me either, that's why I never even consider wal-mart when seeing who has the best price on DVDs as it's just too inconsistent and I just want to go to wone store that I can check prices in ads and pick the one that's lowest. It's a crapshoot as to whether wal-mart is lower or not, and the electronics departments in the wal-marts around here are terrible anyway.