Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Point Pleasant - The Complete Series'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-24-05, 11:11 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Point Pleasant - The Complete Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18345 and...it's not like The O.C., it's not like Buffy -- it's like Dark Shadows, in all the schlocky glory of that much-heralded show of yore. Sure it has a campy storyline and over the top acting (NOT a bad thing), but with humor and continuity that's much more entertaining than the reviewer seemed to find.

Find yourself with a few free afternoons? Make yourself some popcorn and enjoy yourself!!!
Old 10-24-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree. This show is very full of itself and just plain bad (the first two episodes being absurdly terrible). That John made it through the whole thing to begin with is to be applauded. While I certainly laughed at it in places, I too failed to find any camp enjoyment value. Point Pleasant took itself way too seriously to be associated with schlock or campy fun. Hell, even its own continuity is sketchy. I think John really nailed this review.

das
Old 10-24-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I think John really nailed this review.
das
Well, I guess you're NOT going to want to read my review.

Yes it was a little ham-handed, but I kind of dug the cheesey machinations. Call it a guilty pleasure that could have been better.
Old 10-24-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Wanted to like this show, but couldn't. Bad writing, bad acting, bad everything.
Old 10-24-05, 07:31 PM
Defunct Account

Like Josh I went into the show with a good attitude expecting to like it. Heck, I wanted to like it. No one wants to watch 10 hours of crap. Try as I might, I just couldn't enjoy the series.

I don't think the acting was over the top at all. My main complaint was that the lead actress didn't seem to act at all. She just stood there. Cackling madly like a ham would have been an improvement.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who enjoyed the show, I just can't fathom why.

Thanks for the comments das!
Old 10-25-05, 12:44 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always found humor to be the hardest response to predict. You either get the joke or you don't.
Old 10-27-05, 12:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've only watched the first disc but so far I'm enjoying it. The first two episodes were nowhere near the debacle some seem to have found. A couple times I cringed a little, but not every show can be "Buffy" or "The O.C." (orange and apple there, but both great shows). Dark humor is my cup of tea, so maybe I'm more predisposed to like "Point Pleasant" than many are, but I say it's worth at least a rental to anyone with an inkling of interest in it. It was on order when I read many of these comments (and the review), and I was ready for a disappointment, but I've been pleasantly surprised.