Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Disney The Little Mermaid Limited Issue R1: hologram?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 10-11-05, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this version, or any of the Limited Issue series come with a Disney or any other hologram on the case?

Is there an official Disney statement that confirms whether it does or doesn't?

Thanks for any info, I suspect I may have bought a fake DVD.
Old 10-11-05, 08:49 PM

No hologram, you bought an import they are quite common on ebay.
Old 10-11-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no hologram... If the case has a DVD9 hologram, then it is certainly a boot.

Also, Malay, Chinese, etc. subtitles mean bootleg.

A DTS banner usually means boot, and in the case of The Little Mermaid, always is a boot.

Even without that, there are some "passable" bootlegs that are going to appear slightly different than the original LI.

Finally, there have been some EXACT copies popping up, and they even have the mail-in coupon inside the case. Only close inspection can reveal the truth.
Old 10-12-05, 04:21 AM

Thank you Littlefuzzy and Tracer. I'm in the UK so not familiar with region 1 Disney's.

Yes I bought it on eBay and it came with a "DVD 9" hologram, which I suspected to be fake immediately, as I know when Disney does do holograms as in the case of Region 2 DVDs it's always an official Disney hologram, never a DVD 9 hologram.

Can you tell me though. Do any Region 1 Disney DVDs have a Disney hologram or was it omitted only from the "Limited Issue" series?

This seller has hundreds of region 1 Disney auctions going, all claiming to have a hologram.
Old 10-12-05, 03:46 PM
Suspended

No official R1 Disney DVD I've ever bought has had a hologram. A hologram or a DVD-9 logo is Piratese for "this is a bootleg. We know it's a bootleg, and we know that you know that we know it's a bootleg, but it's the highest quality bootleg you can buy, or at least that's what we want you to believe".
Old 10-12-05, 05:44 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Contact the seller, tell him it is a bootleg, and you want your money back. He may not even ask for the disc back, as they would rather avoid the hassles of you reporting it to E-Bay...
Old 10-12-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Did you not know that the uber special edition comes out next year?
Old 10-13-05, 05:45 PM

Thanks Forum Troll, at least I know now. Disney need to be more consistent though. On their region 2 anti-piracy warnings, they're always going on about a movie being fake if it doesn't have the official Disney hologram, yet they don't put any holograms on their region 1 releases. I wouldn't think their US and UK markets were that different.

I think that's how this seller is doing so much business because UK buyers will always insist on the Disney hologram, but how they can't tell the difference between a Disney hologram and a DVD-9 hologram beats me.

littlefuzzy, I did contact the seller initially, but she would only give a refund on the items' return. In the meantime she swore blind that it wasn't fake. I did send it back, but I didn't send it registered as it cost almost half the price of the dvd. No surprising she said she didn't receive it back. I caught her out though because although she sent it to me by trackable means the tracking number never worked. I was about to file a Paypal dispute for item not received. Shady I know but I was getting desperate. I only had to mention to her the invalid tracking number and she refunded me straight away.

I don't think I'm ever going to buy a rare Disney DVD on eBay again. Lesson definitely learned. Thanks to you all who helped me clarify a lot of things.
Old 10-13-05, 05:50 PM

Michael, where do you get the Disney re-release dates? I've read in some places it's Oct 2006, but in others 2008.
Old 10-13-05, 06:07 PM

www.ultimatedisney.com
Old 10-14-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

what littlefuzzy said.

Oct. 3, 2006

2008 was the original plan until they stepped up last year and started releasing two a year.
Old 10-14-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
what littlefuzzy said.

Oct. 3, 2006

2008 was the original plan until they stepped up last year and started releasing two a year.
Don't you suspect that this is due to the fact that they are backing blu-ray and want to get their money for the DVDs before they roll out the initial release blu-ray versions? Time to start the double/triple dip process all over again

umm anytime a DVD blatently advertises the fact that it's DVD-9 it's a ripoff. Never buy anything from Ebay when they state in the auction description DVD-9
Old 10-14-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not necessarily kakihara. Since they adopted this plan in mid 2003. Not sure how long they have been backing Blu-ray. I thought that was more of a recent development(around 6 months ago).
Old 10-14-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You may be absolutely spot on Corvin, but I think that if they knew exactly what they were going to be doing in a couple years they would want to ensure that they got thier product out to sell before the new format was priced competitively because that equals more dollars for them if they didn't blu-ray as being the next profitable medium they wouldn't worry about how long it took to get the DVDs out because they would be sure that there would still be huge demand for them.

Anyhow tough luck City*Chic but don't feel too bad; I've been a victim of bootlegs in the past as well especially when I first started collecting asian movies and I decided Ebay was a good place to go because of price it took about one lot of DVDs to come my way before I was like ummmmm these don't look right. lol the people here are right though, tell them you know for a fact that it is a bootleg and you will get your money back and may still be able to keep the merchandise. They don't want to be busted out by Ebay and you may just want to report them to 1-800-NoCopys or whatever it is.
Old 10-14-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

full of pics from the trailer, and so on...hope this helps

Walt Disney's The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition 10.03.06
Old 10-16-05, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Will definitely wait until next year.