Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I get some Gamecube advice?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-19-05, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if someone here could give me a little advice. I've had an Xbox for a few years now, and my kids are getting old enough to play video games on their own -- but my Xbox games are really complicated and/or inappropriate for that age group.

I am planning to buy them a Gamecube system, most likely for Christmas. I was going to purchase the system, plus 3-4 controllers and 2-3 games. My question is: where is the best value for a purchase like this?

I have seen the standard packages (one game, one controller) for $100. Some bundles have had an extra controller and/or extra game. Will there be a price drop or a better bundle coming during the Christmas shopping season?

Another option I have been considering is getting a used system at one of the video game resellers. I have bought some software from these before, but never hardware. Can I buy at one of these places with confidence that the hardware will work right for the long term? Or is it generally smarter to pay more for a brand new system?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 09-19-05, 02:57 PM
Suspended

There may be a bundle around X-Mas time as one last push to buy systems. If you really want a system now, go to a Gamestop or its equivelant and buy a used one for like $59. Spend the extra $10 if you want for a warranty on it. Make SURE that you get a Wavebird wireless controller. Playing any GC game without it sucks.
Old 09-19-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Buying a used system isnt a completely bad idea, just pay attention to what their return policies are regarding defective merchandise. If they have a service plan and you are buying used, the service plan is usually a pretty good idea if their used return policy is short term (most are 90 says or some even 30). The best value for your dollar on a new GC is the Smash Brothers bundle. You get the cube, 1 controller, and a free copy of super smash brothers melee. If you are going to buy a cotroller I must stress on buying first party controllers, anything less and your asking for a defect. Memory cards are a must and you can pick up the largest sized memory card (1019 blocks) for about 30 dollars, and it is an official Nintendo product; shop around if you think you can buy it cheaper. Hope I was of some help.

Not acting like a salesman right now, your friendly neighborhood
zero
Old 09-19-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right now CC is giving away a copy of Zelda: Wind Waker with a new system. $99 for the system, one (wired) controller, SSBM, and Z:WW isn't bad at all, imo. They also have a 2/$30 deal going on for any pair of $19.99 games. Some good stuff in the Player's Choice line.

Can you still buy the 59 or 251 memory cards? $30 for 1019 isn't bad, but probabaly overkill for the games he plans on getting.

And, oh yeah, Wavebird.
Old 09-19-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right now there's an official bundle for the $100 price point w/ a platinum console, a platinum controller, and a Player's Choice copy of SSB:M.
Old 09-19-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget to get them Resident Evil 4, Game of the Year

the SSBM bundle is a pretty good deal too
Old 09-19-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a widescreen TV? If so, I would suggest looking for the older version of the Gamecube. It had two ports on the back, one for regular A/V cables, and a second one for Component cables. You would need to buy Component cables from Nintendo, for about $30.

How old are the kids? Depending on their reading skills, they might love Animal Crossing.

I have heard that Gamecubes are built like bricks, so they might do much better than a PS2 or X-Box if you bought a used one.
Old 09-19-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dirj1
my kids are getting old enough to play video games on their own -- but my Xbox games are really complicated and/or inappropriate for that age group.
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Don't forget to get them Resident Evil 4, Game of the Year

Like most people have said, the Smash Bros. Bundle is probably the best official bundle out there. However, if you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership, they have their own bundles there also. On costco.com there is a Smash Bros. Bundle that includes the console, 2 controllers, memory card 251, and the Super Smash Bros. Melee game, all for $128.99. There's not much of a savings there if you were to buy everything seperately, but a savings of about $5-10 nonetheless.

By the way, another fun multiplayer game for your kids might be Super Monkey Ball and/or Super Monkey Ball 2.
Old 09-19-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first pikmin and definitely Super Monkey Ball are some good games in the player choice line up.
Old 09-19-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have still seen last years bundle with Mario Kart and two controllers for $100 at Target. This is a little better than the SSBM bundle IMO. I would suggest Wind Waker, Super Monkey Ball and some of the other Player's Choice Titles for the kids. How old are they?
Old 09-20-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ninte...arriage=befree
Old 09-20-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Note that link is $99 and comes with Zelda Wind Waker and Smash Bros
Old 09-21-05, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. To answer the main question, the kids I am buying for (besides myself) are age 7 and 4.

I do have a widescreen HDTV, and I had heard that the older model GCs have a progressive output. That's why I have been considering the 'used' option. Are those models hard to find, or are there a lot of them in circulation?
Old 09-21-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, you'll definitely want to skip Res Evil 4 for the kids, but for you, it is a great game.

I know of no different GC models but I'm no expert- I think the problem would be more in getting the cables.
Old 09-21-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nintendo says that 'cubes made after May 2004 won't have the digital port anymore. (I'm lucky enough to have an early model)

See here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ponent_faq.jsp