Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix Sending DVDs Out of Order

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-16-05, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I'm watching the Star Trek Voyager series via Netflix (there's no way I'm paying 100 bucks a pop for Voyager). I just returned Disc 4 from Season 3. I've got all the discs from each season in my queue, in the proper order with all showing availability NOW. So Netflix in their infinite wisdom is sending me Disc 1 of Season 5 and Disc 1 of Season 6. If all my discs are available now what possible reason could they have for doing this?

I've decided to only keep two discs at a time in my queue to prevent this from happening again (I'm on the two disc, unlimited plan). Anyone else had any problems like this?
Old 09-16-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Great, now Netflix is having these issues. Between my imminent cancellation with BBO because of similar, but not identical problems (see other thread,) and my planned return to Netflix, I kinda wish there was another company to consider. AARGH !!

I just can't win
Old 09-16-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They don't do this with me. I get discs in order, and if the first disc isn't available, I don't get any from that series (even if all the others are available).
Old 09-16-05, 02:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I dropped netflix 6 monthes ago, after being a member for over about a year, because it was taking sometimes as much as a week and a half between the I sent a dvd back and got the next one. I just joined netflix again 2 weeks ago and am back to the 2 day turn around from when I first joined.

If you want the best service from Blockbister and Netflix your best bet is to rotate who you rent from every six monthes. If you're with them any longer they don't really care at the point since their goal is to keep new members and if you rean a lot they're losing money..
Old 09-16-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I get it MrX. But as someone who runs a small business, it's a sh**ty way to run one. Large or small.
Old 09-16-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Netflix has sent me DVDs 'out of chronological sequence' on several occasions.

They also bypass my #1 choice, in favor of sending lower priority discs...even when my #1 choice is 'in stock'. I'm canceling my membership as soon as my 3-month trial membership expires.
Old 09-23-05, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Homer
I've decided to only keep two discs at a time in my queue to prevent this from happening again
The exact solution that I would have suggested. Your other option (if you have a lot of titles in your queue) is to keep all the season discs at the bottom of the queue except for the next disc you want. If you are ONLY renting season discs, then the previous option will be about the only thing you can do.
Old 09-27-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know BlockBuster does this to me. I rented Empire Falls...and they shipped me Disc1 and not Disc2...instead, they sent me something that was like 2 below disc2. It's ok, because it's not out of order, but still annoying.
Old 09-28-05, 07:19 PM

Had a couple discs lately with the return address to their shipping facility be more than a few states away. I live in Ohio and usually it gets sent to Cleveland. Last couple went to Florida and one actually went to California. Happen to anyone else?
Old 09-28-05, 07:39 PM

Yeah, that has happened a bunch to me. And it takes a real long time to get them, and equally long time for them to get them back. I wish in the queue that they listed if the title was available at YOUR location, and you could prioritize them that way. I usually rent more obscure titles that I'm sure they don't have millions of copies of, and I'm in Illinois - but have gotten ones from TX, FL, TN, MN, IA. And there is really no rhyme or reason to why they don't send some titles in my queue that are ranked at the top and say they are available - but they send ones below. Aggrivating.
Old 09-28-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wasn't too bad getting the alternate shipping location DVDs until recently because you still returned them to your normal shipping site.

Now that they not only send them from the alternate location but make you return them to the alternate location, it can really slow the process.

I've been getting several from San Jose recently.
Old 09-29-05, 12:14 AM

Since I used to send more than one disc back at a time, I have some return envelopes for my local distribution center so I simply send back the out of town discs in those envelopes.

I've been having problems with them actually checking in my discs. It shouldn't take three days for them to check in a disc that was mailed to an address 25 minutes from my home. Netflix is doing their best to slow down the amount of discs I rent.
Old 09-29-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the first time in ages I got one from Texas instead of San Jose. It took an extra day to get to me.

The return envelope said "Nearest Netflix Facility" and then had the Texas address printed on it. It couldn't have gone back to Texas, however, because it was checked in the day after I mailed it. It's my understanding that the postal machines route based on the bar-coded information and it really does get sent back to the nearest facility. The printed address is supposedly ignored, but there as a back-up. I know there's no way it made it to Texas by the next morning.
Old 09-29-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine definitely go back to the distant location that's the listed address despite the "Nearest Netflix Location" printed on the envelope.

But I don't think my Post Office scans the bar-codes on anything... I would not be surprised to learn my Post Office sorts mail by hand or with poorly trained monkeys.
Old 10-04-05, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rejoined Netflix last week after receiving a discount for the first three months of service. I joined on 9/28 and had two discs sent out that same day. I got them the next day. I live in Boston, and the nearest shipping facility is in Worcester, about an hour drive away.

I mailed one back 9/30 after 5PM (so it ended up being shipped back 10/1) and sent the other one back yesterday. They were both received this morning. Now they are sending out one DVD today, and the other tomorrow. I understand that after a few months Netflix slows down service to its older customers, but I've been a member for less than a week and it's already happening.

Last edited by Ghostface180; 10-04-05 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
I mailed one back 9/30 after 5PM (so it ended up being shipped back 10/1) and sent the other one back yesterday. They were both received this morning. Now they are sending out one DVD today, and the other tomorrow. I understand that after a few months Netflix slows down service to its older customers, but I've been a member for less than a week and it's already happening.
It may not be a throttle. This can happen if they have to send a disc out from a different distribution center. This would happen to me once in a blue moon during my first six months. It will depend on the scarcity of the titles you're after. When they start trying to slow you down it will happen most of the time, and you'll be able to see from the envelopes that it has nothing to do with which distribution center your disc is coming from.
Old 10-04-05, 03:11 PM

Oh wow!! it sounds like you guys are really getting the shaft :S whenever I get an envelope that's addressed like 3-4 states away I just toss it in the trash and double up the disks in one of the envelopes addressed to the local warehouse (South Bend or Indianaplis) but I do routinely get New York Addressed envelopes, it's annoying but I've gotten around it.

I've never had a problem with them sending the wrong disk in a series though. They don't always send me movies in the order that they appear on my list but generally they send series correctly here is what happened today, I was impressed actually.

1)I sent back my eight movies yesterday morning

2)They recieved four of them today

3)I have all series disks on my immediate list but one of them was not available in the middle of the set.

4)Instead of sending the next disk in the series they actually skipped it and the next season and sent me the first two disks of the next series on my list.

needless to say after nearly 3 years with them I'm still pretty happy. But I still get pretty bent out of shape when I know they are holding disks because I've rented too much.
Old 10-05-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I get a dvd from a distant Netflix location I change the address on the return envelope to the nearest one. Just print out some address labels for your local Netflix address.
Old 10-05-05, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by bdots48
When I get a dvd from a distant Netflix location I change the address on the return envelope to the nearest one. Just print out some address labels for your local Netflix address.
That's an excellent Idea. Especially becuase sometimes when I double stuff the envelopes it takes them an extra day to check mine in.
Old 10-05-05, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Over the past few weeks, my already crappy service continued to get even crappier. At best, I was only getting new movies once a week (I always return my discs the morning after I receive them), but suddenly, it was taking 4 or 5 days for them to credit my returns, then an extra 2 days for them to ship my next selections. (WTF?!?)

It shouldn't take 9 or 10 day to receive new selections when the distribution center is only an hour's drive away. This is ridiculous...I just canceled my membership.
Old 10-05-05, 12:13 PM

I've had problems with Netflix for just under a year (was given a year subscription as a gift). Netflix is a mess. A majority of my discs do not ship out the day the discs I return are checked back in. When they do ship out, it takes three to four days to receive them on top of the day or so it actually takes to enter into the shipping process. Lately, some of my discs are not checked back in. I sent back both discs of Entourage in the SAME ENVELOPE, and disc one was checked in, but disc two took seven days for them to check in. I contacted customer service about this, and they had no response. They "couldn't explain it."

If I had not been given a free NEtflix subscription, I'd be gone.

P.S. Two discs were checked back in today (Wed). The two discs being sent out: LOLITA (Kubrick) is shipping out tomorrow, and SIN TAKES A HOLIDAY is shipping on Friday.

Last edited by cmleidi; 10-05-05 at 12:20 PM.