Reload this Page >

Constantine D.E. glitch

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Constantine D.E. glitch

Old 07-19-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Constantine D.E. glitch

Just wanted to post and see if anyone is having this problem. On my two year old Toshiba, Constantine freezes and will not continue at the layer change (I'm assuming it's a layer change). When Angela is telling Constantine that she saw demons too, it freezes after she says "and one day I didn't seem them anymore." The view changes to a side view and there's somekind of green scenary and then it stops. I also can't access any of the chapters following it. I will be exchanging and it sucks because I was right in the middle of the film. Hope this is an isolated incident.
Old 07-19-05, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know. Just got my copy today, but haven't gotten around to view it yet.
Old 07-20-05, 02:44 AM

just finished viewing without any trouble.
Old 07-20-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Layer change freezes are a "common" defect as far as defects go. I've had it happen with two diffent discs over the years. I just exchanged them and the replacement worked fine. I think it has something to do with the player being unable to open the second layer that's why you can't skip past it with scene selection.
Old 07-20-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

exchange it. I've got a toshiba that is about 3-4years old and Constantine played fine for me.

MATT
Old 07-21-05, 09:50 AM
Cool New Member

sound issue

Is it just me or does the soundtrack seem very quiet. I had to turn up the volume on this disk louder than usual. Anyone else notice this?
Old 07-21-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No freezing up on mine but i did notice a lower voice volume. I dont know if it was the way they filmed i or the DVD itself.
Old 07-21-05, 12:41 PM

Yes, I do believe that is the point of the layer change because mine froze for a split second at that exact moment that you mentioned. But mine only lasted a moment and then continued without any problems.
Old 07-21-05, 12:44 PM
Banned

Yeah, it's definately the layer change. Apparently the OP's disc has a defective second layer. Exchange it and your problem should hopefully be solved.
Old 07-21-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't speak for the R1 but the R3 played flawlessly and there was no problem whatsoever with the volume of the soundtrack. It's so loud I had to crank it down a few notches.
Old 07-21-05, 01:50 PM
boe
Suspended

Volume

Yes, the soundtrack was significantly lower. I played it about 15-20% louder on my preamp than any other DVD I own. I was worried I was going deaf! I also noticed some scenes that had plenty of actions something that looked like big blotch pixelization (for lack of a better term). Love the movie but would have prefered a better transfer and DTS!
Old 07-21-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine played fine but I did notice the lower volume. No big deal.
Old 07-21-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boe
Yes, the soundtrack was significantly lower. I played it about 15-20% louder on my preamp than any other DVD I own. I was worried I was going deaf! I also noticed some scenes that had plenty of actions something that looked like big blotch pixelization (for lack of a better term). Love the movie but would have prefered a better transfer and DTS!
Maybe that explains why my wife kept asking me to turn it up, then turn it down. This happened numerous times and made it harder to enjoy the movie.
Old 07-22-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I exchanged it and it played fine. I thought the transfer was very good. A review I read commented about the sound being like you guys said and I noticed it too. I believe that they wanted to scare the audience by making jumps/scares very loud. To do this they had a quiet mix and very loud sound effects. Overall, not a bad track but could have had better balanced. The extras are good from what I can see though.

Another thing that I remember now and should have been more worried about then: On my messed up copy, when the rating screen appeared (whatever came right before the opening logos) the sound from the movie played. It then stopped and played again correctly as the movie opened, must have been a bad pressing. Oh well, problem solved.
Old 07-23-05, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Just watched my copy and it played fine all the way through. Glad you got your problem resolved. BTW, the movie was mediocre.