Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did yoda give up?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why did yoda give up?

Old 06-27-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Why did yoda give up?

After watching this a second time, I still think it is the best of all 6 films, but one thing bothers me.

Why did Yoda walk away from the fight with Palpatine? To me it seemed like yoda was obviously the stronger of the two, so why walk away and let the empire take over?

Yoda seemed like the type of guy that would fight to the death to protect the republic, yet he just walks away.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-27-05, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So people like you would have something to discuss....christ the movie is over and done with...let it go
Old 06-27-05, 02:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He had lost his light saber and just taken a long fall. He was beaten, he didn't give up.

He was holding his own, but he had bad luck and took that bad fall rather than just falling into a nearby pod like Sidious did.
Old 06-27-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by slcsnkman
So people like you would have something to discuss....christ the movie is over and done with...let it go
You know, you're right....now if you would please inform the operators of these forums that we are not allowed to discuss movies after they are released...this madness has gone on for far to long.
Old 06-27-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suppose he decided he would live to fight another day rather than risk dying and lose all hope.
Old 06-27-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
...because Palpatine had the high ground.
Old 06-27-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Dath Maul also did in Ep I but it didn't seem to deter Obi Wan.
Old 06-27-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also thought that in his situation, he no longer had time left to fight. Palp had clones there rather soon after Yoda crawled off. Had he stayed and fought, he most likely would have been dealing with Palp and a clone army.
Old 06-27-05, 07:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by slcsnkman

slcsnkman, threadcrapping is against forum rules. If you aren't interested in the topic, then please don't post in the thread.
Old 06-27-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by thematahara
You know, you're right....now if you would please inform the operators of these forums that we are not allowed to discuss movies after they are released...this madness has gone on for far to long.
Originally Posted by candyrocket786

Ya know, after watching this repeatedly [since it's probably my favorite of the saber battles, "Duel Of the Fates" overuse aside], I was wondering the same thing. However, some people that shop at the comic book store I go to said that in the novel he was doubting himself during the entire battle. Don't know if this is true or not..
Old 06-29-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I think the point is that Darth Maul was a punk (neato dual light sabre to the contrary) and that's why Obi-Wan bested him.
Old 06-29-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Admittedly, I think Darth Maul was a little too over confident in his fight with Obi-Wan and it definately cost him in the end. Yoda, I think new that there was little more he could do to fight for the Republic. The Sith had really played their hand well and had qucikly made the Jedi little more than a memory in a very short period of time. He fought the Emperor and stood his ground but it was definately time for a hasty retreat. I think he left so that he could assess the damage and decide if he should die today and change nothing or live to fight again another day, and work to overthrow the empire.
Old 06-29-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
Dath Maul also did in Ep I but it didn't seem to deter Obi Wan.
yeah, but unlike obi wan yoda could retreat and live. obi wan could either try a force pull up/jump or he could fall to his death
Old 06-30-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I don't see Yoda as being defeated as much as realizing that the best case scenario was going to be a draw. He wanted to destroy Sidious, but realized that they were both equals in terms of power and on equal grounds would always wind up in a stalemate. Also, there was the fact that had Yoda chosen to climb and face him again, he would be having to eventually face the back-up. I think this proves that Sidious knew he couldn't win flat-out either, as he needed back-up.
Old 06-30-05, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

he lost his light sabre. it's pretty hard to beat someone when they have a light sabre and you dont. plus he had fallen really far. still, i see what you mean, yoda probably could have picked up his light sabre and fought but i dont know... maybe theres some other reason he left as well...

All Your Base Are Belong To Us - Zero Wing

Last edited by muiaucht; 06-30-05 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
yeah, but unlike obi wan yoda could retreat and live. obi wan could either try a force pull up/jump or he could fall to his death
what about luke in Empire...
Old 07-01-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
he got lucky and got sucked into a side shaft instead of going splat on the flat bottom. plus the falcon came back, if it hadn't he would have likely fallen off that antenna thing in a short while
the shaft in TPM didn't seem like the same kind, I doubt it had side shafts that obi wan could slide into at an angle

plus, I always got the impression Luke was expecting the fall to be to his death

Last edited by mikehunt; 07-01-05 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 04:23 PM
Retired

Yeah, luke decided to fall to his death rather than join vader. He just got lucky and survived the fall.
Old 08-07-05, 07:44 PM

I'd like a more definitive answer for this (yeah right)

this would have been the last time Yoda would see action (not sure about the books)
There had to have been a deliberate choice in the script to have him bow out and not choose to act. It does seem to nag on me more because this would be the only instance where Jedi doesnt press on one-on-one, unless circumstances prevented it.

All the duels in Ep III seemed to whiz by too fast for me.

The last we saw was a look of resignation as he was leaving. (And the little matter of leaving his cloak behind so Sidious wouldnt bother going after him.)

I think every decision taken was made to get the audience to watch the OT again.
Old 08-07-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so that was the reason for leaving the cloak? I remember that being shown prominently, and I didn't get it at the time...
Old 08-08-05, 03:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After falling, the stormtroupers would of arrived and over powered Yoda.
Old 08-10-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seeing it the first time it looked like Yoda lost. But after a second viewing it was definitely a draw, cause both had equal force powers and repelled one another.

Yoda simply thought it best to live and fight another day as he wouldn't be able to take on both Palpatine and the troopers.
Old 08-21-05, 06:18 PM

Interesting how in OT neither Emperor or Vader mention Yoda at all, as if they were not aware he existed at all.

I cant think of any times in the prequels where you have a duel and troops interfere. Usually there is a weird circumstance where only the fighters are around. But I'm not aware of any rules where outside forces can attack while Jedi/Sith are duelling. But I'm probably getting that mixed up with "'immortals from Highlander' rules"
Old 08-23-05, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no need for vader to mention yoda in the OT...he doesn't mention 3PO either and he built the damn droid. No big deal.

I think a few factors come into play when it comes to troops or droids coming into a duel. First they just aren't around...episode 1's duel of the fates, episode 2's yoda dooku scene, episode 3 obi vader and so on.

however when they are onlooker in a new hope i would give this reason. They know Vader wants the fight. Imagine being the galaxy's biggest bad ass, and having no one to fight with in 20 years. No one is carrying around light sabres...finally vader gets to duel...do you want to be the jack ass of a storm trooper that decided to shoot the old man, basically saying to Vader....we thought the old guy from Ladykillers was going to beat your ass so we shot him....no way. You would be choked before you got the sentence out. This holds true with vader fighting luke. He is happy to meet him in battle.
Old 08-23-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.