Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies You Fight For

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies You Fight For

Old 06-15-05, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movies You Fight For

When I saw Magnolia for the first time I ranted and raved about it because I was so incredibly blown away. I fell in love with P. T. Anderson's work and couldn't wait to see Punch-Drunk Love, which I quickly fell in love with. Both of the aforementioned movies I've had to defend endlessly. A lot of my favorite films are sort of polarizing with the fact that they divide audiences and my friends are usually the ones that are the first to not be on my side. Many people I know hated Magnolia and I have had to preach and preach about why it is so great.
Some other favorites of mine that have that effect are:

Adaptation- This along with other Kaufman films I've fought for. Most people seem to just focus on Charlie jerking off or Laroche's missing teeth. Or they just fail to be impressed by the irony (or don't get it).

The Royal Tenenbaums- I guess most people were expecting some off the wall Stiller/Wilson comedy or just thought it was too "weird." I just love Anderson's style and fell in love with the characters.

Eyes Wide Shut- Though not Kubrick's best, I was still thoroughly engrossed and impressed. And I can never get anyone to get into 2001, most of my friends just wait for everything to be revealed, and of course, the film just becomes an enigma to them.

The Triplets of Belleville- I just love this movie, my friends just give me a big "wtf?"

All About My Mother- Almodovar can do no wrong in my book. Most of his movies, like All About My Mother just weird out my pals (They seem to just get so distracted by the unconventional subject matter). I've had the best success with Talk to Her, but still with a lot of haters, hah.

There are also those movies that so many of my friends rave about that just don't do it for me, such as Saw, The Last Samurai, American Psycho and Battle Royale.
Anybody else have any movies that you love, but you have to constantly defend cause your buddies don't like them? Or movies that everyone else loves that you can't get into?
Old 06-15-05, 07:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Pootie Tang
Old 06-15-05, 08:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

alien 3

patch adams

jersey girl

freddy got fingered

eyes wide shut--my fav kurbrick
Old 06-15-05, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by whynotsmile
alien 3

patch adams

jersey girl

freddy got fingered

eyes wide shut--my fav kurbrick

I also liked alien 3 bunches (although flawed), it was so atmospheric and i loved a lot of the sequences. I've even grown to love alien ressurrection (although it's probably come from my love of jeunet).
but freddy got fingered still gives me nightmares. haha.
Old 06-15-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Most Oliver Stone movies.
Old 06-15-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I find it pretty useless to defend films -- how a person reacts to a film is extremely personal (and why I prefer to watch movies alone). As much as it can be affected by personal experience, I think it can be a gut reaction like hating brussel sprouts. I know some people who HATED "Fargo" and "In the Mood for Love". I won't even bother wasting my breath.
Old 06-15-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mattressman
When I saw Magnolia for the first time I ranted and raved about it because I was so incredibly blown away. I fell in love with P. T. Anderson's work and couldn't wait to see Punch-Drunk Love, which I quickly fell in love with. Both of the aforementioned movies I've had to defend endlessly. A lot of my favorite films are sort of polarizing with the fact that they divide audiences and my friends are usually the ones that are the first to not be on my side. Many people I know hated Magnolia and I have had to preach and preach about why it is so great.
Some other favorites of mine that have that effect are:

Adaptation- This along with other Kaufman films I've fought for. Most people seem to just focus on Charlie jerking off or Laroche's missing teeth. Or they just fail to be impressed by the irony (or don't get it).
You had to defend Adaptation? Let me know who they are and I'll kick their asses.
Old 06-15-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't defend any movie I watch. I like indy movies, David Lynch movies, and quite off the beaten path movies. I don't expect people to like what I like. If people don't get Mulholland Drive, I just let it go. If they don't get Wes Anderson, I pity them. They get in line for XXX or the latest Lara Croft crap fest while I am going down to the local indy theater to watch a movie like Millions and I know it's not me who is missing out.
Old 06-15-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
If people don't get Mulholland Drive, I just let it go.
Let me know who they are and I'll kick their asses.
Old 06-15-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
Let me know who they are and I'll kick their asses.
The majority of the public.
Old 06-16-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.
Old 06-16-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not that i defend a movie much outside of the internet...but one i do have to remind people isnt as bad as everyone seems to think it is.

"Last Action Hero"

Yup...i said that movie.

For the love of parody and Ah-nuld movies this is great. The first 2/3rds is comic parody gold...but the 3rd act of the movie, i admit, is weak.

Arnie scores a triple point bonus for throwing in self-deprecating humor.
Old 06-16-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Nothing. I like what I like and they like what they like. If we disagree then we disagree. The worst thing I hear is when I say I didn't like a certain movie and then someone tells me "thats because you didn't get it". No I got it, I just didn't like it. I don't want to be that guy so if someone doesn't like a movie I like I just let it go. If they seem confused by it I'll explain it to them and I may even tell them to watch it again, but other than that I just don't bother.
Old 06-16-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Ed Wood. The guy at the Walmart was pissed that I had the last 3 DVDs off the shelf and didn't want to give him one. We came to blows and I made him whimper like a biotch. If he wanted one, he can win one of my eBay auctions I said.
Old 06-16-05, 01:18 AM

No kidding. Every freakin' time I say I can't stand Pulp Fiction I'll hear all this crap about how I just don't understand it or I have bad taste or I'm crazy. People have different tastes! No sense in arguing over it. Funny thing is half the time they'll admit to liking some really stupid film like In the Army Now.
Old 06-16-05, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whynotsmile
alien 3
Are you a cute girl, because I'm looking for someone in common. Fincher rocked like Ridley Scott. Two in a row, but I stilll like that one more than 2 or 4 (and I loved Delicatessan).

Aliens is not rewatchable and neither is 4
Old 06-16-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
From Justin To Kelly
Cool As Ice
Old 06-16-05, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
The worst thing I hear is when I say I didn't like a certain movie and then someone tells me "thats because you didn't get it". No I got it, I just didn't like it..
Exactly ...This seems to be the thing that most people "don't get".
Old 06-16-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...efine%3Asatire

One of my favorite movies of all time.
Old 06-16-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I fight for anything and everything Kubrick.

Some recent additions are:

Closer; Saints & Soldiers; OldBoy; The Snow Walker; Imaginary Heroes; & Interstate 60.
Old 06-16-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blade Runner all the way.

Once I watched a rerun of it, on my way out of the theater I overheard a couple saying, 'Man, those replicants were really evil guys, weren't they?'. I would have gladly crushed their eyeballs into their skulls with my thumbs.
Old 06-16-05, 07:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
The worst thing I hear is when I say I didn't like a certain movie and then someone tells me "thats because you didn't get it". No I got it, I just didn't like it.
Glad I wasn't the only one put off by the original post.
Old 06-16-05, 07:59 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
You had to defend Adaptation? Let me know who they are and I'll kick their asses.

I got the irony; I just thought it was stupid.
Old 06-16-05, 08:54 AM

The thing that pisses me off is when people won't even watch a movie but will argue against it. That's the only time I'll really fight for one(outside of the internet that is). For example, I know people who refuse to watch Fight Club because it's "just too violent", which is just speculation on their part. My opinion is Fight Club is the least violent violent film out there.
Old 06-16-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Joe Vs. the Volcano: freakin' brilliant allegory. I've about come to blows with people who think that Turner and Hooch has more redeeming qualities.

The Life Aquatic

...and don't laugh... Babe 2: Pig in the City: most people dismissed this sequel. But I thought it was a fantastic film. Creative madcap fun for everyone.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.