Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Anakin ever completely die?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-04-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that it's been told to us for years that Anakin was killed when he became Darth Vader, particularly after the duel over the volcano. But when I watch Episode 3, the first thing Darth Vader says after he's got his life support system on is, "Where's Padme?" And all throughout the OT, he's searching for his son. Clearly there is a part of Anakin that never died, and a pretty important part, as it kept him connected with the past. Jedi, and I would assume the Sith as well, have to sever all ties with their past, and it seems that the Anakin we see in the first three episodes is not too far removed from Darth Vader after all, as even in his persona as Darth Vader, he still seems to retain much of the affections he had as Anakin.
Old 06-04-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They meant that he died spiritually, or that the boy they met on Tatooine died while the monster that grew within took control. In the literal sense, Anakin didn't die until the end of Jedi.
Old 06-04-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Anakin never actually dies until ROTJ. As Obi-Won tells Luke that Darth Vadar killed Anakin. He actually means that when Ani becomes Darth, Ani the man dies. But when he helps Luke he reverts back to Ani in ghost form via the force.

Hope you saw all 6 films or I just ruined it for you.
Old 06-05-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then edit your post and put it in spoilers.
Old 06-05-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mifuneral
They meant that he died spiritually, or that the boy they met on Tatooine died while the monster that grew within took control. In the literal sense, Anakin didn't die until the end of Jedi.
No shit. But it seems that part of his spirit seemed to live on, the spirit of his love for Padme and his desire to be with his children once he learned they were still alive.
Old 06-05-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, he did not completely die
Spoiler:
until Luke burned his mean old ass with a torch.
Old 06-06-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I know that it's been told to us for years that Anakin was killed when he became Darth Vader, particularly after the duel over the volcano....Clearly there is a part of Anakin that never died
LUKE
You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

BEN
You father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view.

And all throughout the OT, he's searching for his son.
Vader didn't know Luke existed until he blew up the Death Star... so he was only looking for him in 2/3 of the OT
Old 06-06-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
LUKE
You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

BEN
You father was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I have told you was true... from a certain point of view.

But that's my point....He did not completely cease being Anakin Skywalker. It appears that a part of Anakin stayed very much alive. I know Obi Wan was speaking figuratively, refering to the psyche or spirtual aspect of Anakin and not the physical body, I don't really need those points reitterated. It just appears to me that after watching Episode 3, when the ravaged Darth Vader's first words are, "Where's Padme" and seeing him respond the way he does to Luke and C-3P0 in the OT, it appears that there is very much an aspect of Anakin alive and well underneath that mask.
Old 06-06-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole point of the dark side is not ultimate evil, but preying on the weakness of emotions. In that respect Anakin's emotions are not in-tact in spite of the Sith, but rather they are encouraged by the Sith.
Old 06-06-05, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If he completely ceased being Anakin Skywalker, then I sincerely doubt Padme and Luke would think there was still good in him, and that ultimately even Anakin realized that fact.

So, once again, no - he didn't completely die (EVER).
Old 06-06-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Toad
If he completely ceased being Anakin Skywalker, then I sincerely doubt Padme and Luke would think there was still good in him, and that ultimately even Anakin realized that fact.

So, once again, no - he didn't completely die (EVER).
Luke did say he felt a struggle in him. So in essence there was a struggle between good (ani) and evil (vader) and Luke was correct.
Old 06-06-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...that's what I just said.
Old 06-07-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that it's been told to us for years that Anakin was killed when he became Darth Vader, particularly after the duel over the volcano.
We have?
Spoiler:
Anakin / Vader doesn't die until the end of ROTJ...