Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV OTA Indoor Antenna

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV OTA Indoor Antenna

Old 05-21-05, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV OTA Indoor Antenna

I'm in the Pasadena CA area and I just picked up a samsung hdtv with built in tuner. I need to get an antenna though. Do you guys have recomendations?
Old 05-21-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
Old 05-21-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I use a winegard 9065

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=HD9065P
Old 05-22-05, 08:25 AM
Cool New Member

Terk

I use the Terk TV50 and it works great in my attic.
Old 05-22-05, 09:24 AM

A lot depends on your situation. A lot of people report great success with the Zenith Silver Sensor, but a lot depends on your distance from the towers and any obstructions.

Otherwise, there are a number of options, again ranging in options for different situations. Use the antennaweb link above to get some valuable information. If you post your results, you can probably get some more detailed recommendations.
Old 05-23-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Throw me some ideas will you. I have an HMA that does not allow outdoor antennas (could probably get away with something small mounted on the side of the house as others have dishes) My house faces N around 37 miles south of the towers in Portland. No real obstructions in front of me. Would like something that would go in my garage attic. Thanks

One more thing, I have a minimal budget for this. Right now I pay $12 for cable and pick up ABC, NBC, FOX & WB in HD, CBS (KOIN)won't allow comcast to transmit their HD signal over cable. I don't want to pay much to get one channel in HD.

Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Compass Orientation Miles From Frequency Assignment
* lt green - vhf KPXG-DT 22.1 PAX SALEM OR 5° 36.4 4
* blue - uhf KWBP-DT 32.1 WB SALEM OR 5° 36.4 33
* blue - uhf KATU-DT 2.1 ABC PORTLAND OR 5° 36.4 43
* blue - uhf KOIN-DT 6.1 CBS PORTLAND OR 5° 36.4 40
* violet - uhf KGW-DT 8.1 NBC PORTLAND OR 4° 36.6 46
* violet - uhf KPTV-DT 12.1 FOX PORTLAND OR 3° 36.5 30
* violet - uhf KOPB-DT 10.1 PBS PORTLAND OR 4° 36.6 27

Last edited by hail2dking; 05-23-05 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[QUOTE=hail2dking]Throw me some ideas will you. I have an HMA that does not allow outdoor antennas (could probably get away with something small mounted on the side of the house as others have dishes)

I believe others have dish as it is against the law for an HOA not to allow them. I would not be surprised if it is illigal for them to try to prevent you from putting up an antenna as well. HOA's always try to prevent such things even tho they know it is against the law. My HOA had the same rule "no outside, visible antenna's allowed". However my neighbor up one up and got a notice. He simply sent them a note that showed the law and they never bothered him again. I thought I had the web site that covered that, but I can't find it right now.
Old 05-23-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I think if you get one of those round atennae that looks similar to a dish, you will be Ok.
Old 05-23-05, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hail2dking
Throw me some ideas will you. I have an HMA that does not allow outdoor antennas (could probably get away with something small mounted on the side of the house as others have dishes)
No covenant can prohibit an outside OTA antenna, or a small sat dish. The FCC says you get to one one, period. The HOA can issue small rules regarding placement, but if those rules would prohibit reception, then the FCC rule [you get to have one] overrides the HOA.[Condo's and Historic districts have other special rules.]
Old 05-24-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mostly agree with the last couple posts about the FCC mandates. One sour note: They can prohibit you from damaging their building or interfering with certain things. This means you cannot necessarily attach it wherever you want. But you can certainly "temporarily" attach it to your balcony or put it in a cement pot or on a tripod or something. It also means if your window faces north, you may be out of luck for a sat dish, for instance.

Check out the Channel Master 4149 for indoor. I haven't tried it, but it is reminiscent of the Rat Shack "double bow-tie" that is positively famous for its reception capabilities.

Try the Winegard Square Shooter for an innocuous, but apparently excellent antenna. SS-2000 is the model #.

Here's a decent place to buy and an excellent place to shop: http://www.starkelectronic.com/allant.htm
Old 05-24-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Channel Master 4149

This is what I have - or rather, what I think I have - it may be a Radio Shack clone (what Spiky references above). I bought it 15 years ago when I was in college (no cable, but it did a decent job picking up distant signals since our campus was in the middle of PA). It was sitting in a box for years, until I bought my HDTV in January. Plugged it right in, and it works great. Not only does it get the DC HD locals, but it picks up strong signals for all of the Baltimore HD locals, which are 50 miles away. I don't even have to move the antenna.
Old 05-25-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work in the tallest building in Mpls, facing AWAY from the direction of the TV transmitters in town. It is surrounded by other tall buildings, tons and tons of metal to screw up reception. We had that RS version once and could actually get reception in the office. Nothing else even came close. It is ugly as sin, that picture doesn't do the ugliness justice, but it is the best. (for indoor) People actually bought them and hung them in their attic instead of buying a large outdoor antenna.
Old 05-25-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I work in the tallest building in Mpls, facing AWAY from the direction of the TV transmitters in town. It is surrounded by other tall buildings, tons and tons of metal to screw up reception. We had that RS version once and could actually get reception in the office. Nothing else even came close. It is ugly as sin, that picture doesn't do the ugliness justice, but it is the best. (for indoor) People actually bought them and hung them in their attic instead of buying a large outdoor antenna.

I live on the 13th floor, have other tall building around me too, and face away from both the DC and Baltimore transmitters, but that doesn't stop it from pulling in great HD signals (except UPN, which is very very weak in DC). Yeah - ugly is a generous description. I have it propped on a diagonal wedged btwn my tv and wall. Sticks out like a sore thumb, but I don't care. Friends who come over routinely ask me what the hell it is.
Old 05-25-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummm... Does your oven-rack attend formal dinners often?

Matt
Old 05-25-05, 10:52 AM

With the bow tie and handlebar mustache all that antenna would need is a monocle and top hat and it could be the guy from Monopoly
Old 05-29-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone recommend an antenna for attic intallation? Looks like I'm going to need a violet range one with amp. I guess I could also go with one of those that attaches to your dish antenna if anyone has any experience with them. BTW, I'm in far N. Dallas and looks like (per the map) most of the stations are S. Dallas.

In the end, I could put up one of those large "typical" antenna's on the roof, I just would rather not.

Edit: Well looks like I answered my own question. The high def forum has some great information and basically outside it best, especially at my distance. I did read where someone mounted a monster outdoor antenna in their attic, but I don't have that kind of room. Will go back to checking out an outside location.

Oh and here is the link from the FCC stated an HOA cannot prevent you from putting up an antenna, it is like the 1st or 2nd paragraph.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-29-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone have any experience with these? I can't figure out what CEA "color" they pick up at,

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=SS-2000

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...AT=&PROD=HDTVO
Old 05-29-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tend to avoid Terk products because they are overpriced and overhyped. They are no better, and often worse, than other brands. Weingard and Channel Master ARE the best. The Square Shooter has gotten rave reviews at AVS and the Spot and other places. I've never tried one, but it is one of the favs these days. $100 is the standard price, too. I believe they are a medium directional powered, I don't have the colors in front of me, though.
Old 05-29-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From the FCC page:
The rule applies to viewers who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.
Note: WITHIN THEIR EXCLUSIVE USE OR CONTROL. This is why you can't just slap one on the roof or attach it to the wall next to your apartment balcony. It is almost always possible to put one up due to this FCC ruling, but you have to do it correctly. The cement-in-the-bucket pole is very popular for apartments. Townhome/house that you rent should be much easier since more is in your exclusive use.
Old 05-29-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
I tend to avoid Terk products because they are overpriced and overhyped. They are no better, and often worse, than other brands. Weingard and Channel Master ARE the best. The Square Shooter has gotten rave reviews at AVS and the Spot and other places. I've never tried one, but it is one of the favs these days. $100 is the standard price, too. I believe they are a medium directional powered, I don't have the colors in front of me, though.
I did some reading of at AVS and the pub (or whatever it is called). It looks like for the my area of the smaller antenna's the fav's are

Terk 55 (the bar looking one)
CM Square Shooter and Stealth
Wingard GS 2008A

Guess I'll have to pick up a HD receiver and just purchase one and try it out and see what works the best.

I went back and tried the AntennaWeb again. Odd when I have my actual address in it says no HD channels available (well none of the major networks) when I put in just my zip, they all show up and not that far. Weird as there are no tall building or even 2 story homes around. Maybe I'm in a small valley or something. Ah well guess won't know till I try it.
Old 05-29-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The database probably doesn't have your address listed in the correct zip code or something. Common internet-type bug. If you want to read something difficult, you can get ridiculously detailed info from the FCC site.
Old 06-01-05, 03:48 AM

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB2_Indoor_antenna.html

Thats the one I decided to try. I bought an rca antenna from best buy last week and returned it a day later. It seems like the channel master 4149 is getting great reviews and this one is just a bigger 4149.