Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

is Canadian version of EXISTENZ worth a purchase? and if so, where?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

is Canadian version of EXISTENZ worth a purchase? and if so, where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-00, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any of you ever reviewed the Canadian version? And where is the best place to orderit?
Old 02-27-00, 10:07 PM

I totally recommend the Canadian version.

I got my copy from a Dutch auction on ebay from this seller: [email protected]. I think he charges $19.99 + $3 shipping to the US. I had no problems whatsoever with this seller, although it took a couple of weeks after I sent payment to get my copy.

I've heard on this forum that you can get it a couple bucks cheaper than that at some of the Canadian e-tailers also.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that the Canadian version features three commentaries (from Cronenberg, DP Peter Suschitzky, and FX supervisor Jim Isaac) and an hourlong documentary on production designer Carol Spier. It's a terrific DVD of a movie that gets better with each viewing.

[This message has been edited by theWitcher (edited February 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by theWitcher (edited February 27, 2000).]
Old 02-27-00, 10:24 PM

Definitely get the Canadian version.

I can also recommended [email protected]

It was a smooth transaction.

------------------

Old 02-28-00, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I paid about $25 for the Canadian version (one of my most expensive DVDs - excluding Criterions) and it's worth ever cent. I really enjoyed this movie and if you want the extras, get the Canadian version. Somtimes I wished I lived up there - know what I mean, eh?

=Blake=
|

Old 02-28-00, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll also recommend Nick([email protected])for buying canadian DVDs. Bought Pulp Fiction from him a couple of months ago .

------------------
My Addiction
Old 02-28-00, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for [email protected]. Shipped mine very fast for $23 on my credit card. The Canadian eXistenZ is a must-have DVD if you have even the slightest appreciation for Cronenberg's work. The documentary on Carol Spier is worth the price alone for its insight on how to make low-budget look good.
Old 02-28-00, 10:20 PM

a. yes.

b. I bought mine at DVDepot.com. Can't remember what I paid, but it was comparable to what was being quoted here.
Old 03-01-00, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Nick is the coolest! I recently bought Existenz, Pulp Fiction, and Clerks for about 20 bucks a piece. Probably the most I've ever paid for movie, but definatly worth it! His shipping was really, really fast for me. And what's coolest of all, he'll sell ya' anything your little heart desires off of eBay. I'll definatly be getting more from him.

Back to the movie; I loved the movie. I love the DVD! I can't really compare it to the regular release because I've never seen it [the regular relese]. Completly worth it for the movie though!

------------------
This Weeks Quote:

Elliot Blitzer: Hi, my name's Elliot, and I'm with the Cub Scouts of America. We're selling some uncut cocaine to get to the jamboree.

The Horror, The Horror
Old 03-01-00, 02:05 AM

At the risk of sounding a bit snobby, I am increasingly of the opinion that any title worth owning at all is worth owning in the most enhanced edition. With DVD prices rising and coupons disappearing, you need to love a film to buy instead of renting -- and if you really love a film, you'll want to get all those SE/CE extras as well. I don't regret "upgrading" the titles I bought in their orginal no frills versions (e.g., Shakespeare in Love, Brazil, eXistenZ) and I look forward (over time) to upgrading those that I haven't yet (e.g., Silence of the Lambs, A Bug's Life).

I got my Canadian version of eXistenZ at DVD North - $23 delivered, billed in US$, with no hassles.