Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sitting Out?

Old 05-05-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitting Out?

Is anyone else planning on sitting out the first year(s) of the next generation of console games?

I realize the temptations will be strong with new features and graphics, but there are so many good games already out I have yet to play. Just curious if anyone else was going to try and play the current crop of excellant games they have not yet had the chance to before buying in.
Old 05-05-05, 11:13 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not likely to buy one at launch. I'm a little burned out and frustrated with the direction gaming is going and will probably hold off a while and see what games each console has and see if it looks like anything is changing innovation wise.

If it's the same old same old again, I'll probably sit out for good. I'm hoping the Revolution will offer something new and not just lame gimmicks, but we'll see.
Old 05-05-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about getting one at launch, but at this stage I can see the drying up of great titles on current gen machines, particularly xbox and gc. Admittedly the software bonanza on the ps2 shows no real sign in slowing, in the rpg genre especially.

I can't see myself buying another xbox game (Jade empire will probably be the last). For the gc I'll get Zelda and RE4, but that's it. PS2 will get another Silent Hill game I think, so I'll definitely grab that. Then theres the usual truckload of rpgs to sift through. However more and more franchises are slating their next release as a next-gen title.

I'll probably get a 360 around ps3 launch time with the expectation of a small price reduction from MS or maybe some tasty pack ins.
Old 05-05-05, 11:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Probably not. That's how I took last gen, I bought a Sega DC only when it had a sports version. Then I skipped the PS2 on its launch because the launch titles were putrid. Then after DC called it quits I jumped on the GC & Xbox bandwagon and eventually picked up a PS2 for the GTA factor.

I will probably pick up an Xbox 360 for its good exclusives & HD. Then I'll either get the PS3 or the Revolution based on launch titles. The following year I'll probably get whichever one I didn't get.
Old 05-06-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will buy whatever nintendo puts out at launch, and get the other 2 when they are $150 or less. Nintendo is a little slow on releasing great titles but during that time I can catch up on this generation.
Old 05-06-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I waited until the first price drop last time, and I'll probably wait until the first or maybe second price drop this time. I've been spending most of my time currently playing PSP and PC games.
Old 05-06-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never bought a system at launch(except for the Atari Lynx...), and that probably won't change for next gen. Unless I win the lottery(which would be amazing, since I don't play), or make a shizload of money with my films, I'll probably wait at least a year, if not longer. I have so many unplayed games on my shelves(all the way back to the NES), and I am determined to complete my catalog before moving on to new systems.
Old 05-06-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to try and hold off on buying the new consoles until some great games come out but honestly the temptation usually gets the best of me. I can't remember the last time I DIDN'T buy a new console on launch day. Including the portable ones. I need help
Old 05-06-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts
Much like boston george, I always tell myself to just take the wait and see approach. But I know right now that I'm only trying to fool myself and I will most likely have the Xbox 360 and PS3 within a week of launch. I can't control myself
I will definitely take a wait and see approach with the Nintendo offering. I only picked up the GC because of Rogue Squadron and I've probably logged only 60 hours total onto my system (thanks mostly to Zelda: WW).
Old 05-06-05, 07:16 AM
Banned

I'll be sitting out the year between the Xbox360 launch and the PS3 launch
Old 05-06-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ummmm, no. i'm getting the new xbox system and maybe the new playstation, but for sure the new xbox. i sat out enough in gym class i'm not being the fat kid in the console wars too.
Old 05-06-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably buy the new XBOX system. I have about $150 in credit saved up at GameRush....so, it won't be AS much out of my pocket. I'll still see what E3 and the MTV special say.....
Old 05-06-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably sit out for a bit as well. I'm not drunk on technology and would rather see some good games hit before dropping the lettuce for a new system. I see no shortage of quality titles for the PS2 and Gamecube in the coming year so it'd take a non-racing, non-FPS miracle to put my eyes on Xbox 360 when it hits. Much like the PS2, I'll have no interest in the PS3 initially but will eventually pick one up due to large third party support. Nintendo has the best chance of being picked up on launch especially if they land at $200 again.. but, all speculation aside, it's 100% about games for me; whichever system has the best looking launch lineup gets my bread.. and by best looking I mean most interesting, not highest resolution doo-doo mapping hoo-ha shading flips and flops crap.
Old 05-06-05, 12:17 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
it's 100% about games for me; whichever system has the best looking launch lineup gets my bread.. and by best looking I mean most interesting, not highest resolution doo-doo mapping hoo-ha shading flips and flops crap.
Ditto for me.

And the games have to be innovative. Even Nintendo's. I don't want to just play Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Metal Gear, etc. with the same old gameplay and a new coat of paint.

I'd pick up some of those, but there has to be a good bit of new innovative games to complement them for me to purchase a next gen console.
Old 05-06-05, 12:18 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I will probably pick up an Xbox 360 for its good exclusives & HD.
Isn't it currently rumored that the standard X-box will not come with a HD and will require an add on (which means developers will put it to even worse use due to catering to the lowest common denominator) while Sony and Nintendo have said their consoles will come with HDs.

That would seem to eliminate the HD as a reason to pick up a 360 over the other two.
Old 05-06-05, 01:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Isn't it currently rumored that the standard X-box will not come with a HD and will require an add on (which means developers will put it to even worse use due to catering to the lowest common denominator) while Sony and Nintendo have said their consoles will come with HDs.

That would seem to eliminate the HD as a reason to pick up a 360 over the other two.
HD, not HDD.
Old 05-06-05, 01:32 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be at a game store at midnight on Xbox 360 launch day. I am very weak.

wlj
Old 05-06-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really looking forward to XBox 360... but first, I don't have the money, I can barely supply my DVD/XBox1 addiction right now, even using all these great sales.

And second, it's coming out right before Christmas... hell, even XBox1 was out of stock here in Boston until almost March because of the huge demand for them.

I want the high end one, I'll sell my XBox and possibly my DVD player... if Xbox360 can play DVDs well enough... but I'll wait for a pricedrop thanks.
Old 05-06-05, 01:56 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
HD, not HDD.
Oops my bad.

But still the PS3 and Revolution will be high def as well, so that's not really a deciding factor for anyone.
Old 05-06-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
I want to wait out, but I'm weak as well. I didn't think I'd get either a DS or a PSP, and somehow ended up with both at launch. I have a huge backlot of games I haven't finished, but new ones always end up in my queue. And I'm not sure I'll ever catch up with my DVD backlog...

I'll probably wait until at least all the systems are out though, unless there's a really compelling reason to upgrade: some new feature, or a game I can't do without. Last gen, I held off buying an Xbox and GCN for at least a year, and I wouldn't have gotten a PS2 at launch if not for getting it as a gift...
Old 05-06-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Heck, I sat out this one. And the last one. My newest console is an original Playstation, and it sits next to my N64 and Atari 2600. I fried my Genesis and NES long ago.
Old 05-06-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely sitting out the XBox 360 launch. First of all, I'm bitter about the problems I had with the drive on my launch XBox (since replaced it - no problems) and I also seem to remember how quickly the price dropped on the original XBox (I think it dropped to $199 within six months if I remember right). Finally, there are countless current XBox titles that I'll be happy to pick up and play at cheap prices by the time the new one arrives. I love shiny graphics as much as the next guy, but it just doesn't seem like the jump between the current to the next generation will be as big as it was to jump from the PS1 to the XBox (which I did last time), so I can easily wait.
Old 05-06-05, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Oops my bad.

But still the PS3 and Revolution will be high def as well, so that's not really a deciding factor for anyone.
You're right if the PS3 and Revolution are high def, but I seriously question if the Revolution will stay committed to high def. Remember Nintendo did drop the digital out port on the cube.
Old 05-06-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
I will likely wait until the PS3 comes out to compare it with the Xbox2. I took my time on getting a game system after getting burned by the Sega CD/32X fiasco, so waiting a year or less won't bother me (at least I don't think it will).

The Xbox1 promised everything I had wanted in a game system at that time...PC like graphics, adult games, 5.1 sound, a hard drive, easy online play, HDTV support (though we are still lucky to get 480p even now) and a huge controller .

I still feel a little burn for plopping down $300 for it around launch after seeing price decreases after only a year or so. I have definitely gotten my goody out of the $300 and was the sole home of Halo games for a while for my friends. I have no ties to Xbox so I really want to see what kind of specs the PS3 will have and how it will compare. I have no time for more than one console and since I will never own a Nintendo console it narrows it down to two.
Old 05-06-05, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Apollo
You're right if the PS3 and Revolution are high def, but I seriously question if the Revolution will stay committed to high def. Remember Nintendo did drop the digital out port on the cube.
I think the fact that the Rev. will support monitors out of the box is quite a statement that intend to bring it. Nice feature, especially for college folk.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.