Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sam Raimi to direct Spider-Man 4, 5 & 6?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-04-05, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Sci Fi Wire:
Raimi Mulls Many More Spideys

Spider-Man director Sam Raimi told SCI FI Wire that Sony Pictures plans to make six of the comic-inspired films, and that he'd consider helming them if he feels as strongly about them as he does about the upcoming third installment. "I've heard Amy Pascal [chairman of Sony's motion picture group] say she wants to make six Spider-Man pictures," Raimi said in an interview at the Saturn Awards in Los Angeles. "So I think she's a woman of her word. And if she says there'll be six, there'll be six. ... If they were to ask me, and if I felt as passionate as I feel now about the character and had this great hunger and desire to tell the story, which I really do now, you couldn't keep me away from it."

Raimi said the upcoming third Spider-Man film will in part chart Peter Parker's (Tobey Maguire) interior journey as he deals with his feelings about the death of his beloved Uncle Ben.

"The task that I had was to try and understand where he was when we last left him ... at the end of Spider-Man 2, trying to figure out what he lacked as a human being, as far as where he was immature and what he had not learned," Raimi said. "And certainly there's so much for that kid to learn. He really has been denied a social life. He's just been focused on being this do-gooder. And never really even dealing with the death of his uncle, just paying down his guilt with every criminal he brings to justice, never really addressing his own guilt that he feels in his heart and coming to terms with it. He's never really looked inside himself. So I think this picture ... he's going to have [to] look a little more inside himself and recognize and deal with some of the deficiencies that he has as a human being."

Thomas Haden Church (Sideways) will play a new as-yet-unidentified villain who is appropriate to that emotional journey, Raimi added. "We had to choose a villain that represented a proper obstacle in the path of that growth," Raimi said. "And so, though I'd rather not say who Thomas Haden Church is playing just yet—because Sony likes to make a proper presentation to the fans along with Avi Arad from Marvel Comic books—he was chosen because he represented that proper obstacle to ... Peter Parker's growth." Spider-Man 3 is in preproduction now.

Source
Old 05-04-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sweet news. Make it so.
Old 05-04-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the article it doesn't so much mean that he will direct them more than just help out. I recall him wanting to take some time off after 3 and besides that, Rumors were all around that he was going to do an Evil Dead 4.

I would say that at best, he'll be producing them and tag his name on it that way while someone else takes charge of it. Sony will want to crank them out as soon as possible.

Anyone else got the feeling of "sinister six" when it mentioned six films?
Old 05-04-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can see kirsten dunst making 6 spidermans. really.
Old 05-04-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but will Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst do six of these things?
Old 05-04-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
three tastes sweet, too much will rot your teeth.
Old 05-04-05, 03:16 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great news at least Hollywood has not fucked up these superhero movies
Old 05-04-05, 03:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Fok
Great news at least Hollywood has not fucked up these superhero movies
i thought the general consensus was that the first one blew.
Old 05-04-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. Guess that means we'll finally get Venom in a movie.
Old 05-04-05, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
Didn't love it, but don't think many people thought it blew. 89% on rottentomaotoes plus huge numbers at the box office. That tells me the general consensus thought it was quite good.
Old 05-04-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
First I've heard of that (there being a consensus, I mean.)

I think 2 is definitely superior, but the first was pretty great in its own right.
Old 05-04-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No doubt. I think it's a pretty mediocre film especially compared to part 2, but 400 million and very good reviews indicate that the first Spiderman is far from a disliked film.

As for this news...make sure Raimi gives me my Evil Dead 4, otherwise more Spidermans I could definately live with.
Old 05-04-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
So far I've really enjoyed both Spider-Man movies, but I really hope Peter lightens up a bit in the next one.
Old 05-04-05, 03:48 PM

1) A consensus is by definition general.
2) I've never heard that.
Old 05-04-05, 03:56 PM

I don't know, I think the first one blew pretty hard, as a comic fan, it seemed to get everything wrong. The second was a step in the right direction, but still not quite great.
Old 05-04-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
There really is no way Raimi will direct all these unless they take a long break between them. I'm really thinking that he will be involved, but not directing them.
Old 05-04-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I don't know, I think the first one blew pretty hard, as a comic fan, it seemed to get everything wrong. The second was a step in the right direction, but still not quite great.
What? The webshooters and Mary Jane instead of Gwen are the only things that were "wrong." And frankly, I agree with both of those choices.

Everything else was pretty much spot-on.
Old 05-04-05, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
from the article it doesn't so much mean that he will direct them more than just help out.
"Spider-Man director Sam Raimi told SCI FI Wire that Sony Pictures plans to make six of the comic-inspired films, and that he'd consider helming them if he feels as strongly about them as he does about the upcoming third installment."
Old 05-04-05, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I don't know, I think the first one blew pretty hard, as a comic fan, it seemed to get everything wrong.
Specifics?
Old 05-04-05, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
First I've heard of that (there being a consensus, I mean.)

I think 2 is definitely superior, but the first was pretty great in its own right.
Agreed on both thoughts.
Old 05-04-05, 04:19 PM

6 seems like overkill to me. They might be trying to milk this cow too much. But hey, if they continue to make quality films, I'll keep watching. I know, I'm a such a sellout.
Old 05-04-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by scott shelton
"Spider-Man director Sam Raimi told SCI FI Wire that Sony Pictures plans to make six of the comic-inspired films, and that he'd consider helming them if he feels as strongly about them as he does about the upcoming third installment."

Means very little in the industry. Especially if sony will push to get them done back to back to back. He wont do it. Another 9-10 years of work in that alone. Not going to happen. He'll be apart of it in some shape or form, but he wont be directing them all.

and the misleading aspect of the title is that "sam raimi to direct.." opposed to "sam raimi maybe/possible to direct..."
Old 05-04-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still feel that the first Spiderman is the best superhero movie so far. What I love about both movies is that is isn't simply about good vs evil...but about Peter Parker...that was the whole appeal of the original comic...he was just a normal guy with problems we all have...who happened to have superpowers. As long as the movies don't become mindless effects films and actually explore the characters...I say keep them coming.
Old 05-04-05, 04:55 PM

There really is no way Raimi will direct all these
I'm really thinking that he will be involved, but not directing them.
He wont do it.
Not going to happen.
he wont be directing them all.
It's nice to see you're keeping an open mind. FYI: Record broken.
and the misleading aspect of the title is that "sam raimi to direct.." opposed to "sam raimi maybe/possible to direct..."
I guess you missed the question mark.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 05-04-05 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-04-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was mainly refering to scott's response to me.

As for keeping an open mind. I'm sure that the same could be said when internet rumors started spinning about Venom being in this film or when toby was out. I wasn't aware that we couldn't represent both sides of the spectrum in discussion. While I may not think that he will do it, I'm sure there is plenty that will think he will. And it's funny how you pulled six quotes of mine out of the total 3 post that I had before this one.

My side of the fence is that he will want to do something else besides spiderman and Sony will want to crank out the franchise non stop. If Raimi was to stick with all six there would have to be a five year break between the two trilogies of down time. You may agree or disagree. I think my opinion can be tossed in, don'tcha think?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.