Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

pulp fiction, the family film?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-02-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't want to threadjack, so lets present this proposal in a new thread.

popcorntree suggests:
No, but you could probably watch Pulp Fiction with your grandma.
discuss.

personally, i think a good rule of thumb is:
if quentin trantino's in the theater, your kids and grandparents shouldn't.
Old 05-02-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your grandma wants to watch, more power to her. If she doesn't, no problem. Whats your point?
Old 05-02-05, 06:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

it was suggested that pulp fiction was more "grandma-friendly" than any wes anderson directed film in another thread.
Old 05-02-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It depends on the grandma. Why do we need to generalize an entire age group?
Old 05-02-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This reminds me of the time I was staying with my grandparents for a year when I was 13. This was in the early 80's and they had HBO. I stayed up late to watch "10" and my Grandmother probably suspecting that something was up, decided to spend a little quality time and watch it along with me. Once I realized she was serious, I tried to get out of it, but she insisted. We watched the whole thing with me squirming uncomfortably the entire time. She never said a word but the glare she gave me said it all. LOL!

and no... neither of my grandmothers would have enjoyed Pulp Fiction over a Wes Anderson movie.
Old 05-02-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 333 Likes on 218 Posts
If your grandma fails to remove the lit cigarette from her mouth as she tells the state trooper to kiss her hairy ass, she just might like Pulp Fiction. (or else she's a redneck)
Old 05-02-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To generalize, More grandparents would prefer a Wes Anderson film to Pulp Fiction any day. This is something I am confident about. Sure there would be some who would like PF to WA, but not the majority.

Pulp Fiction offers a more in your face story,and the comedy is the same.

Wes Anderson films are certaintly more along the lines of something grandparents could take. They may even enjoy the quirky relationships.

It boils down to this
Pulp Fiction- rather mean spirited yet great film.

Wes Anderson films-overall well spirited yet great films.

Well Spirited vs. Mean Spirited , for grandparents usually well spirited films win them over.
Old 05-02-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
I'm sure my grandmother would watch Pulp Fiction.

I was surprised when I visited her a few years ago and saw that she had bought this movie at a garage sale:

She watched it at least twice.
Old 05-02-05, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm sure my grandmother would watch Pulp Fiction.

I was surprised when I visited her a few years ago and saw that she had bought this movie at a garage sale:

She watched it at least twice.
holy shit. death by shishkabob!
Old 05-02-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think this all stemmed from the mis-interpretation of the term "walks of life". Some took it to mean age, which it very well can, but an alternate take could be social/economic brackets..in which case you could make a very strong argument that Tarantino appeals to a larger "walk of life".
Old 05-02-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Family film? If you belong to the Manson family, maybe.
Old 05-02-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still personally stand by claim because I know my own family. My parents and grandparents enjoyed Pulp Fiction more than The Royal Tenenbaums. Pulp Fiction is more mainstream, yes, there's violence, yes, there's anal raping, however, it is still easier "to get" than Wes' films. I'm not saying its a family film, I wouldn't let kids watch it. But I think its a suitable film for the elderly.
Old 05-03-05, 01:20 AM
Banned

Well, there's that Director's Cut of Pulp Fiction. I think it was missing a good 1/2 hour of material. They played it maybe twice on the WB.
Old 05-03-05, 01:40 AM
Suspended

I watched 'Robocop 2' and 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' with my gramma. She thot they were corny.
Old 05-03-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also personally all the 'graphic' content in Pulp Fiction is not so graphic afterall!!! The majority of it is left to your imagination and none of the stuff in the film traumatizes myself.

I recall hearing people complaining about the graphic violence and so forth when it was first released. What a surprise when I actually saw the film,it was not 'too' violent or even gory at all!!

I guess some people are alittle too sensitive?

So in that aspect,I think the film is more family friendly than a Wes Anderson film. For one,the charecters in Pulp are interesting(ie-showing you a slice of life you may never experiance..thus it's appealing in away)...whereas Wes's films are bland and boring,trying to be 'realistic'...and fail as comedies. Meanwhile the dark humor in Pulp works beautifully and is hilarious. All the while the dramatic aspects of the film work perfectly as well. Which I can not say for any Wes Anderson picture.

In other words,Pulp has alot more stuff in it too keep your interest than a Wes Anderson film. Which will keep audiences attention to the proceedings.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 05-03-05 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-03-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My grandfather's favorite part is when the kid gets his head blown off, but grammy loves the homosexual rape scene.
Old 05-03-05, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Also personally all the 'graphic' content in Pulp Fiction is not so graphic afterall!!! The majority of it is left to your imagination and none of the stuff in the film traumatizes myself.

I recall hearing people complaining about the graphic violence and so forth when it was first released. What a surprise when I actually saw the film,it was not 'too' violent or even gory at all!!

So in that aspect,I think the film is more family friendly than a Wes Anderson film. For one,the charecters in Pulp are interesting(ie-showing you a slice of life you may never experiance..thus it's appealing in away)...whereas Wes's films are bland and boring,trying to be 'realistic'...and fail as comedies. Meanwhile the dark humor in Pulp works beautifully and is hilarious. All the while the dramatic aspects of the film work perfectly as well. Which I can not say for any Wes Anderson picture.

In other words,Pulp has alot more stuff in it too keep your interest than a Wes Anderson film. Which will keep audiences attention to the proceedings.
you may be the first person to ever condemn wes anderson for his "realism". i don't think his films are "failed comedies". i could take them or leave them, but there's no denying that they contain a very specific, sometimes subtle, wry wit that may not be to your taste. and reading your comments again, you told us what works and doesn't work for you, but you havent told us why. care to expand?
Old 05-03-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker

i don't think 'family friendly' is the phrase you're looking for. just because we dont actually SEE the penis violating ving rhames' ass doesn't mean this is more 'family friendly' than something like rushmore.

a lot of people would wonder how a movie that glorifies villainy and trivializes violence could ever be considered 'family friendly.' we have a scene where we accidentally shoot someone, and we're supposed to get a laugh out of it because there's brain and skull on the floor?

i get the humor, and it is funny. but that doesn't mean i'm gonna plop some 13 year olds down in front of it over a WA movie.

furthermore, i really wouldn't agree that WA movies are realistic. they're farces.

while it prolly wasn't the intention of the parallel thread that this one stemmed from, the comparison of WA to QT is pretty indicative of how society seems to value comedy. with WA, we have a kid whining 'i wrote a hit play' as justification for just about anything with QT, we have accidental shootings, haughty bible readings and fights over who gives an adrenaline shot.

which one was more successful? pulp, of course. it gets in your face and that's what we seem to like. lavish, gross out comedies either of the pulp sense or the american pie sense.

with WA, it's all about nuance and subtlety. and its just not as mainstream or you'd see more movies of this nature opening in the summer.

but back to topic, except for battle royale, i think any movie that involves kids is virtually inherently more family friendly than something of pulp fiction's nature. hell, there's something attainable by virtually everyone from rushmore.
Old 05-03-05, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Yoh mammie...

:nopics:

(Should there be any doubt, I totally agree with pdinosaur.)

Last edited by baracine; 05-03-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-03-05, 12:11 PM

I love Pulp Fiction. One of my all-time favorite movies. But the last thing I would classify it as is "family friendly". Sure, we don't see some of the action onscreen but as others have mentioned - does that make it any different? We know Ving is being raped. People are shot and killed and it's just very violent. The theme doesn't change just because it isn't being displayed graphically. Although, I'd argue that the drug scenes are also way over the top and graphic.

I can't comment too much on Anderson's movies because I don't think I've seen one completely through yet. But I will say that I don't think Pulp Fiction is the great equalizer in movies either. Most people I know that like it tend to like violent movies in general. My mom certainly doesn't like it. My wife doesn't either.

Great movie - yes. Family-friendly or wide mass appeal (across ages, genders, races) - not so much.

BTW - pdinosaur
Old 05-04-05, 01:50 PM

I love Pulp Fiction. I showed it to my grandma, and laughed my ass off at the Marvin scene. She was confused, and I think a bit worried about how well I'd been raised. My answer? No, it's certainly not a family film.

Popcorn says that Pulp Fiction is easier to "get" than a Wes Anderson movie. I'd venture to say that neither are quite deep and profound, or hard to understand. However, a grandparent is more likely to "get" the dry wit in a Wes Anderson film, than to see the humor in a guy accidentally having his head blown off. Or, at least, that's what my experiences tell me.

-JP
Old 05-04-05, 02:37 PM

I must be in the minority -- I didn't care for Pulp Fiction at all. A thoroughly unpleasant movie-going experience.
Old 05-04-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Wait for the broadway show. Then it will be considered family friendly.
Old 05-09-05, 09:53 PM

My grandmother is over 80 & while I don't know if she's seen anything mentioned in this thread I'm sure they wouldn't shock her or anything. Her favorite tv programs are Fear Factor & Jerry Springer. I guess I don't have the typical grandma. When I was in Jr High & parents would complain about me or my sister doing or not doing something (like a chore) my grandmother would say "atleast their not on drugs".

My dad's a little over 60 & Pulp Fiction is one of his favorite movies. He also really liked Kill Bill.

In general though I think I'm in the majority when I say that while Pulp Fiction may be more violent or shocking, it would definitely be easier to shove it in someone's face & have them watch it than Bottle Rocket.
Old 05-10-05, 07:18 AM

^^^^ Wow, somebody actually watches Springer?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.