Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I just got the new issue of DVD ETC. !!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-12-05, 01:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading here about this magazine, I immediately subscribed looking for many reviews of DVDs as it's content. I just got the first issue of my subscription after waiting almost 3 months to get it and.... the editor's page says it is the last issue.

Well, it looked like it would have been a great magazine, anyway.
Old 04-12-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Good luck getting your money back. I got burned on a subscription to "The Nose" several years back. I think I got 3 or 4 of the 12 issues I was supposed to get.
Old 04-12-05, 01:37 PM
Banned

Old 04-12-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For as popular as DVDs are, you would think magazines devoted exclusively would last. I had the same experience with a different magazine a few years ago, the magazine ended well before my subscription did.
Old 04-12-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I signed up for the Leonard Maltin DVD Review magazine years ago. It was one of those disc based magazines. Naturally they never released any issues besides the freebie that got me to sign up and I never saw my $20. If I ever run into Maltin I will be sure to kick him square in the nuts though.
Old 04-12-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having Total Movie flashbacks here.
Old 04-12-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Yeah, that's the one.

I'm sure I lost some money on my Spy subscription, it started, ended, came back, then died again. Their 'customer service' was an AOL email address.
Then again, I guess the 4,124 years worth of mag subs I've gotten for free thanks to this site and others kinda balance out. Although I miss National Lampoon, is that mag still in business? However, some people made out--Playboy a few months back had a letter from one of 150 or so 'Charter Subscribers' who paid for a lifetime sub. They got their money's worth.

I guess people who are really into DVD, get a lot of their news/info from the net; and people who aren't really into DVD, wouldn't buy a dvd-only mag.
Old 04-12-05, 02:35 PM

The reason DVD magazines don't work is because there are websites out there that do the same thing (news, reviews, etc) ...for free ...and daily instead of monthly.
Old 04-12-05, 02:36 PM

My favorite magazine/DVD combo of the moment is Res - short films, music, and music videos 6 times a year, at about $4 apiece. Apparently, the magazine is sold in bookstores, but doesn't include the DVD. Truth be told, I barely read the whole magazine once, but the DVDs are never far from my player.

For more info, check out their site - http://www.res.com/index.res.html

Fins després.
Old 04-12-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

substance tv was great as well...but folded....I had this and total movie...

sheesh, i wish one could stick around
Old 04-12-05, 09:12 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Although I miss National Lampoon, is that mag still in business?
No, it's gone the way of the dodo bird. Some company bought the name and they license it out for movies.
Old 04-12-05, 09:21 PM
Banned

This sort of thing reminds me of the old Cable Guide magazine we used to get back in the '80s. Once on-screen channel guides became normal features, there's no need for those. Speaking of which, does TV Guide still exist and who buys those things?
Old 04-12-05, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
does TV Guide still exist and who buys those things?
Hell yeah! Been doing their Crossword Puzzle for many many years. (I don't pay for the subscription, though. Thanks to 'Hot Deals' forum )

PS: They have a website for TV listings also.
Old 04-12-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
This sort of thing reminds me of the old Cable Guide magazine we used to get back in the '80s. Once on-screen channel guides became normal features, there's no need for those. Speaking of which, does TV Guide still exist and who buys those things?
My grandparents still get them. They've got interviews with celebrities and such.
Old 04-13-05, 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joshualane
The reason DVD magazines don't work is because there are websites out there that do the same thing (news, reviews, etc) ...for free ...and daily instead of monthly.
So why are newspapers and magazines being sold these days?
Old 04-13-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had the same thing happen with a mag called Mystique. It was a very thick magazine entirely made up of sexy women in hot lingerie. I got the first issue, and never heard from them again. Lost close to $40 on it.

Last edited by A-aron; 04-13-05 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-13-05, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then again, you might get lucky. Sometimes, when a magazine folds, it sells its subscriber list to a competitor; in turn, the competitor transfers all-or-part of the original subscription to their magazine. (Other publishers do the same thing internally, absorbing a failed magazine's subscribers into one of their continuing publications.) I got about six months of Entertainment Weekly a few years ago because some now-forgotten (at least, by me) magazine I had a free subscription to folded.

Last edited by RevKarl; 04-13-05 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Kimiakane
After reading here about this magazine, I immediately subscribed looking for many reviews of DVDs as it's content. I just got the first issue of my subscription after waiting almost 3 months to get it and.... the editor's page says it is the last issue.

Well, it looked like it would have been a great magazine, anyway.
Read further Dude.

I have this magazine and they are combining it's content into it's sister publication HD-DVD, ETC.

Your subscription will continue but with that magazine.
Old 04-13-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I signed up for the Leonard Maltin DVD Review magazine years ago. It was one of those disc based magazines. Naturally they never released any issues besides the freebie that got me to sign up and I never saw my $20. If I ever run into Maltin I will be sure to kick him square in the nuts though.
Same here! Be sure to give him two kicks in the nuts if you see him!
Old 04-13-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by gotrice487
Same here! Be sure to give him two kicks in the nuts if you see him!
He's at Disney World recording commentaries for the next wave of Disney Treasures..... Go get em!
Old 04-14-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker

Strong agreement. I still think not subscribing to round two was one of the smartest decisions I ever made.

I bought Spy at the newstand for a long time, finally subscribed and it closed a few months later.
Old 04-14-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
He's at Disney World recording commentaries for the next wave of Disney Treasures..... Go get em!
I'll be there next week...but i never bought his magazine...so you'll have to kick him in the nuts yourself
Old 04-14-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read through a couple of old threads about Total Movie. My friend LOVED this mag when it was out. I wasn't into DVD's then or I would have checked around places like here about it. I paid $79.99 (and he paid me back) for a 2 year (I think) subscription for him. Plus he got the 40 movie pack, plus they sent him a region free dvd player. Two players in fact.

He got a few issues of some other mag after they folded I don't remember the title. So he was upset the magazine folded, but I think he got his money's worth.

He still has all the issues/dvd's. Except I think he still wants the Star Wars parody issue.
Old 04-14-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The only movie magazine I would (humbly) say is worth subscribing to is Cinefex, and the magazine costs like $10 an issue. Thankfully, it only comes out 4 times a year.

Old 04-14-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Yeah, I'm still waiting for my refund...of a 3-year subscription. Bastards!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.