Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else had any problems with any of the Stargate SG-1 sets?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-03-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I picked up season 5 yesterday at an unnamed local retailer. I had to exchange the set 3 times to finally get one that didn't have a scratched up disc #4. All 3 of the sets at one store had the same type of scratches, two long, somewhat deepscratches running across the disc. We exhausted all of their sets looking for one that had a disc in new condition and not scratched to hell. They sent me to their other store across town where we finally found a set with a clean copy of disc #4. When I was leaving the first store, a guy at the front told me that there have been a lot of complaints about the Stargate sets having damaged discs and having general playability problems. Has anyone else had any of the problems? I finally got ahold of all seven sets, now I just hope that all seven sets play without any hiccups.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 04-03-05 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No problems w/ any of them that I recall.
Old 04-03-05, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No that's strange. I've never gotten any scratched or floaters in my Stargate sets as they all are in keepcases. The only problem I've had is that the last disc of Season 4 on the last episode would freeze on my right near the end of the episode, but a tap of the FF button would get through it.
Old 04-03-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sucked that I had to go through 4 Season 5 sets to find a clean 4th disc. I'm still watching the first season and it will be months before I actually get to watch season 5. I never got to watch these shows on tv, but after seeing the first season on dvd I have picked up the last 6 sets within the last month.
Old 04-04-05, 11:03 AM
Banned

It's a great show when you start from the beginning. A lot of people that haven't watched it from the beginning who try to watch an episode in these later seasons tend to say that they don't see what's so great about it. Well, I can understand that because much like Farscape, it's a continuing story that's not quite as sequencial from episode to episode like Farscape was. You'll get a bunch of stand-alone episodes as such, but with ties back to previous events. This is why later on (as you're only in Season 1) as certain episodes begin, you'll see the episode openings "Previously on Stargate" when it'll show you clips of shows in which events occur that relate to the upcoming episode. And these clips may go back several seasons. For example, an upcoming 9th season story will have to do with an alien encounter that happened way back in Season 3.
Old 04-04-05, 12:03 PM
boe
Suspended

Yes, I've had a number of issues. I don't think they were transferred well. One of my DVD players was able to read the set OK but another will hang on several of the discs.
Old 04-04-05, 12:30 PM

I have all seven seasons and no problems with any of them!!

Take care all!!!
Old 04-05-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm definitely going to watch all of the seasons in order. I'm glad (in a way) to have never watched them on television. Now I have 7 whole sets to devour at my own pace. I just finished the second disc of season 1 (33 more discs to go) and i'm looking forward to the rest. I have heard from a few people that season 2 is better than season 1. Does anyone else share that opinion?
Old 04-05-05, 09:04 PM
AOD

I have not had a problem with any of them (all 7 so far). Also, to those of you who have never seen any episodes on tv, it just makes it all the sweeter. Dollar for dollar, this is one of the best bargains in tv-on-dvd there is. Each set is worth every penny and priced good. The way all of the seasons weave in and out of each other is pure genius. It will be a sad day in my books when they stop making new episodes. I hope they pass up X-files and make more than 9 seasons, even if they do it just to prove a point. This show doesn't get the credit it deserves and it's time has come. BUY ALL THE SEASONS. You won't regret it.

Oh, and dsa shea, yes season 2 is better than 1. Not to say season 1 is bad, but it was more setting up the characters. They just keep getting better.

Last edited by AOD; 04-05-05 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 10:52 PM
Banned

Season 2 is better, but not by a whole lot, because the next couple of seasons are even better than that.

The problem with the first season is because, obviously, they were just starting out and trying to find their feet. A lot of the episodes were your typical new planet of the week, but by the end of Season 1, starting with the episode "There But For The Grace of God", the whole series takes it to the next level. Kinda what happened with the final couple episodes of the first season of Farscape.
Old 04-06-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to the next few seasons but it is hell getting through the first one. Not because of quality but because of time. Its hard to look at seven sets that I have never seen and think about how much time I'll need to see them all. I'll give a big cheers once the summer gets here as i'll have time to watch a few episodes a day.
Old 04-07-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problems with any of the seven seasons that I recall. You must have come across a bad production run of Season 5, disc 4.

Season 2 is generally liked better than Season 1, for reasons that others have stated above. But two of my favorite episodes are from Season 1: "The Nox" and "There But for the Grace of God". The former is a lot of fun. The latter is very intense (don't want to say anything more about it for fear of spoiling it for you).