Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So which Disney Movies are OOP and hard to find?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious so that if i come across them i can pick them up for my lil nephew and niece.
Old 03-27-05, 11:29 AM

I know Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Beauty and the Beast are both out of print. I think Sleeping Beauty and the Lion King are as well. Can't remember about the others. But basically, the rule of thumb is that if you see a Disney flick that you want you should get it because it'll probably be out of print soon (at least this goes for all the 2 disc sets).
Old 03-27-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will tell you everything you need to know. Ultimate Disney has a great site put together...check it out.

Ultimate Disney's Out Of Print List

Why do theydo this you ask?... from another thread

Originally Posted by Cameron
It is marketing. It always keep people wanting your product. When you have the vast library that Disney does, you can afford to release slowly. Take Aladdin. You start by using commercials....radio ads, tv, internet...you then crank up a new video of classic song like a whole new world by a hot new artist "Jessica Simpson" on disney channel. You do special promos at the theme parks celebrating the movie... You run the movie on ABC's wonderful world of disney the week before it comes out, so all the kids who just saw it are asking mom and dad for it...then when they get their new dvd you have trailers for the sequels available a little later....also you will find a new batch of toys at the disney store, and clothing all over....sell, sell, sell

fast forward a year, and you start promtoting, last time to own for seven years. with new commercials...you then start fresh with a new title....

it works....and the people who miss the boat end up paying double MSRP on ebay for it....people always want what they can't have....disney has embraced this...and made alot of cash
Originally Posted by Cameron
A quick Run Down on the Disney Vault...

The way it works...Ten Platinum titles

These will be released twice a year until 2007. They are available at retail for about a year at a time. When they go OOP, you will not see them again for 5 years (originally 10 years on vhs)...as of right now, they have given no wiggle room. I have also heard it said that seven year vaulting for other titles like Toy Story, and Pinocchio...however since these have not been scheduled for a re-release, its all up in the air. The article below can give you a full run down on all things disney dvd...check it out.

from Ultimate Disney (the full article)

On May 1, 2003, Disney announced a change in their release schedule for the Platinum Collection. Previously, Disney released one Platinum Edition DVD set a year (each fall) and put the title on moratorium the end of the following January, where it would remain for ten years. Their new plan calls for TWO Platinum Edition DVD sets a year (one in March, one in October), so that all original 10 titles will be released by the fall of 2007, which some forecast as the time when the next home video format (high-definition DVD) may truly begin to flourish. In addition, the moratorium periods will now be just five years.
Old 03-27-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The LI's that haven't been rereleased are hardest to get your hands on.
Old 03-27-05, 01:40 PM

thats some interesting stuff - thanks
Old 03-27-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A bunch of the direct to video sequels are OOP and are starting to rise significantly in price - namely, Little Mermaid 2, Cinderella 2, and Return to Neverland.
Old 03-27-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just checked out Return to Never Land (its the only one I own) I saw one on eBay go for 31.00, but then there are otehrs that went for $4-8. Some people are dumb.
Old 03-27-05, 02:43 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
So if the LI's are the hardest to get a hold of, HOw much do you guys think the LIttle Mermaid LI would go for?
Old 03-27-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcd
So if the LI's are the hardest to get a hold of, HOw much do you guys think the LIttle Mermaid LI would go for?
check Ebay, Half.com, and Amazon Marketplace for your answer.
Old 03-27-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Just checked out Return to Never Land (its the only one I own) I saw one on eBay go for 31.00, but then there are otehrs that went for $4-8. Some people are dumb.
The cheapies are bootlegs. The geniune ones are consistently getting >20.
Old 03-27-05, 03:34 PM
Banned

Yes if a Disney DVD is out and you "think" you might want it GET IT... As it will cost you more later or you will have to wait 5 to 10 years..
Old 03-27-05, 04:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i think the "Tarzan" CE is hard to find and pretty expensive.
Old 03-27-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wheher or not it is OOP you should pick up The Emperor's New Groove CE. A great film and excellent DVD. Check the Bargains thread for a good price on it.