Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Mallrats Collectors Edtion

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Mallrats Collectors Edtion

Old 07-22-99, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received the Mallrats Collectors Edition from Reel(yah they were a day late on mine too). Watched it last night. IMHO this is an excellant movie and an even better DVD. If your a Kevin Smith fan you must buy this, even if you didn't like Mallrats you will like the extras. There is a completley differnt begining that they cut and several scenes that tied in with it. The commentary was awesume (maybe funnier than the movie itself). I think they could have done a bit better with the transfer, the colors didn't seem as brillant as some other flicks. All in all it's definantly worth the price. There is about an hours worth of deleted scenes and commentary for your veiwing pleasure. I was more impressed with this DVD than I was with the Clerks one (probably because I had seen the laser disc version and there didn't appear to be anything added in addition to that version). Enjoy!!!
Old 07-22-99, 02:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
I watched it last night also and agree, an incredible DVD ! There are more features on it than any other DVD I own I believe. I loved the music video w/ Jay and silent Bob

As for the movie, I'm actually starting to enjoy it almost as much as the other two.

But I second the notion that even if you hate the movie, you must buy this DVD if you're a Kevin Smith fan.

T
Old 07-23-99, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree, a fun DVD, and the bonus material is longer than the movie itself. I spent over 4 hours and still didn't finish all the extras.
Too bad they could get any of the women in the audio commentary for the movie. You'll appreciate the heavy handedness the studios use to mold a movie from an original director into something that is supposed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, thus this is why Mallrats is usually the least favored among Kevin Smith fans, the movie is too watered down, and after major re-writes of the beginning, the rest of the movie needed lots of dialog-tuning/ADR/looping to make some sense of the movie once the original premise in the opening was excised from the movie.

I loved the retrospective take of the original cast and it was not very complementary of Universal, and yet Universal still put out this DVD, very ballsy.

I will say that I detected a British accent in Claire Forlani's dialogue in some of the cut scenes, and perhaps some of the movie scenes, but I didn't realize that she was a British actress to begin with. Neat factoid for me.
Old 07-23-99, 07:29 PM
gotdvd

I listened to the commentary track today and was very pleased. Kevin Smith and his pals were hilarious! I haven't yet watched the deleted scenes or the movie yet, but I'm already quite impressed with the DVD... Love their comments on Universal and especially Gramercy.

Old 07-25-99, 11:02 AM

Also if your a fan of Kevin Smith's you can pick up the DVDs from his shop, they are close to the retail price BUT he autographs them Clerks is $34.99 and Mallrats is $29.99 which doesn't sound bad for a signed copy. The link for Jay and Silent Bob's secret stash is http://st15.yahoo.com/jsbstash/

Other links
News Askew (news about Smith and his movies) http://www.newsaskew.com/

and viewaskew (Smiths companies page) http://www.viewaskew.com/

Check it out, they have t-shirts training cards etc....
Old 07-27-99, 02:57 PM
sab
Cool New Member

Did anyone else notice how in the beginning of the movie when Brodie is playing the hockey video game in bed he is playing one that I am not familiar with. but in the deleted scenes he is actually playing the EA Sports NHL game. i guess they couldn't get the rights to use the screens from EA or something.

just a little interesting tidbit I noticed.
i guess college wasn't a complete waste of time.
who says you don't learn anything useful at college?
Old 07-27-99, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Listen to the Commentary. Kevin Smith explains that Sega offered to feature the film Mallrats on some national video game tour if they used the Sega version of the game. Although Kevin Smith and his crew were devoted to the EA version, they reshot with the sega version for the good of the film in what he described as "one of the last times for that film that he sold out."
Old 07-27-99, 04:37 PM
Cool New Member

This DVD makes me mad. I loved Mallrats and this DVD rocks, but it pisses me off that Kevin Smith appologizes for making Mallrats and that it was a crappy movie. The only fault I see in the movie is overediting, and that didn't bother me much. My friends and I love this movie, it cracks us up, and with the prevalence of American Pie and Theres Something About Mary, this movie should make it big on DVD.
Old 07-27-99, 04:45 PM

He later said (not sure if it's on the dvd or not) that he was being sarcastic about apologizing for the movie. I love how he slams Universial and their affilate in the commentary and the fact they included it on the dvd. For the record, Smith is the only director who's commentary didn't bore me after the first 5 min.
Old 07-28-99, 08:26 AM
sab
Cool New Member

I listened to the commentary last night and I heard when he explained the EA/Sega hockey sellout. I agree that this is the best commentary for a film so far that I've seen.
It's a riot, you can tell how much these guys dig hanging out together. And they rip on people too(T.V.'s Jeremy London, Doherty)
Hilarious!

Oh yeah, how bad was the original beginning.
man that sucked!
Old 07-29-99, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Here is a review from the DvdReview Site.
Mallrats-Review

Kahuna
Old 07-29-99, 05:44 PM

This is one hella-smooth disc. Great commentary.
The original opening was unbelievably bad--no laughs at all. The following scene, however, where Brodie is talking to the tabloids, is hilarious--it's a shame that had to be cut out.
Old 07-29-99, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first time I watched the original opening I thought the same thing. No laughs. But then once I realized what was going on and watched it again, I actually loved it. I thought it fit it nice and how the other deleted scenes that were cut related to it throughout the film. Some of those are classic. Like when they meet up with Jay and Silent Bob for the first time at the mall. He walks up to TS and says "Well if it isn't America's Most Wanted". I thought that was a great line. Or Willam asking if he was on Baywatch last night.
Old 01-18-00, 02:42 PM

Mallrats DVD Collector's Edition

Before I begin, let me say I don't own a stand alone player. I have DVD ROM player. I use my P-200 64 MB ram with my ATI Expert 128 card and my SB Live Card.

I picked up the DVD on the recommendation of the clerk at Cinema One. I'm not a big Kevin Smith follower, I just happen to like this movie for some unknown reason.

The DVD is loaded with extras including over 1 HR of deleted scenes. (including Ben Affleck in drag) And the usual Universal movie soundtrack tie-in (like they did with american pie) and a comentary track featuring pretty much everybody in the cast. with was good if you like that stuff.

Anyways I thought it was a DVD considering the $44.95 CDN price tag. Flame away at your leisure.

DVD4Me
Old 01-18-00, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I recall correctly, there is a very funny easter egg on this dvd...does anyone remember where it is? .
Old 01-18-00, 03:30 PM

The Clerk at Cinema One Told Me About it as well. At some point during the movie, a white rabbit appears on the screen if you watch it on a stand alone player. He said silent bob comes up and says something to the effect of there is no **?# extra stuff .
Anyone else no what he's was refering to?
Old 01-18-00, 03:36 PM

This is a great disc. The movie is pretty bad, but I still like it.

The easter egg I believe comes from clicking on a Robot's eyes (or I could be thinking of somthing else). When you find it, Kevin Smith asks why you are wasting your time looking around for Easter Eggs on dvds.
Old 01-18-00, 03:39 PM

Great! Thanks i'll check it out after work

Old 01-18-00, 04:59 PM

I like the movie much more now after "experiencing" the commentary track.
Old 01-19-00, 01:12 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD4Me, why would anyone flame you? The movie is a riot (especially the last 45 minutes), and the DVD is extraordinary. Of course, the fact that you paid $44.95 for this puppy might be worthy of some heat...

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker
Old 01-19-00, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree - great disc. I also have a longer review at my website which goes in depth. The extras are great and Mallrats is just a great movie (IMHO). Also, welcome to the board DVD4Me!

My Mallrats DVD Review

=Blake=
|

Old 01-22-00, 10:16 PM

Son of Jor-El, kneel before Zod! Snoochie Boochies aheeheheheha
Old 01-24-00, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mallrats has a great CE DVD, but what the hell was Kevin Smith thinking? The movie was horrible!
Old 01-25-00, 02:23 PM

For those who don't like this disc or didn't like the movie. Would you care to trade for it? :-)

THanx
Frank
Old 07-13-00, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As good as or better than Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma???

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.