Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2005: recommended region free DVD players & where to buy 'em [merged]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-04-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Well I purchased a DVP642 late this past January and am very happy with it. For $70 it's a great player, in spite of it's flaws (which have been listed in detail in other threads here and in avsforum). Yet, I know I can do better.

So what is the best region free DVD player on the market now? Obviously I'm interest in the best picture/audio available but am also taking into consideration how well it handles PAL to NTSC and how reliable it might be with different types of discs.

In your opinion what is the best overall region free player?

Also, is there any point in having a player that upconverts to 720p and/or 1080i? I'm still a bit confused as to the benefit of that since, in the end, a current DVD resolution would still be 480p at best and I can't see how it would add resolution that wasn't there in the first place.
Old 03-04-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should choose the best player, then have it modified. Example would be a great player is the Pioneer 59avi elite player. One of the best on the market. It can be modded for $124. www.jvbdigital.com is who I used
Old 03-04-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the suggestion, RonBoster. I'll be sure to look up info on the Pioneer 59avi elite. I'm assuming that's the same player you have. Is that right?
Old 03-05-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Also, is there any point in having a player that upconverts to 720p and/or 1080i? I'm still a bit confused as to the benefit of that since, in the end, a current DVD resolution would still be 480p at best and I can't see how it would add resolution that wasn't there in the first place.
If you have an HDTV there is a definite advantage to having a good up-converting DVD player. If for no other reason than the image stays in the digital state from the DVD to the HDTV. Instead of being converted to analog and back to digital again, which is what happens with regular DVD players. Resulting in loss of image quality. But most of the better up-converting DVD players aren't region free.
Old 03-05-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thrush is correct. I would visit the avs stand. def dvd player forum at www.avsforum.com. What is your budget?

Ron

PS: Yes, I have the Pioneer. I chose it for PQ quality, upconversion and HDMI output. The euro version is HDMI out of the box
Old 03-06-05, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
You should choose the best player, then have it modified. Example would be a great player is the Pioneer 59avi elite player. One of the best on the market. It can be modded for $124. www.jvbdigital.com is who I used
Thanks much for the info. I was originally thinking about getting the denon 3910 but after researching over the net, it looks to me like the pioneer may be a better deal overall. Only drawback is no pal to ntsc conversion with the pioneer, but it doesn't seem to have the problems the denon has.
I currently am using the momitsu 880. Overall not a bad player, but the remote drives me crazy. Also, have not yet had a chance to see how well it does the pal to ntsc conversion. Have some pal dvd's coming shortly, so if it does a good job handling the conversion I definitely will be going the pioneer route for all my other region-free viewing. Interestingly, I've found that I get at least as good if not better imaging using component output rather than dvi to hdmi on the momitsu.
Old 03-06-05, 01:13 AM

As has already been mentioned, avsforum is an excellent place to find an answer to that question. It is not always a sure thing that using an upconverting player will result in a superior image. Much also depends on the television or projector you have it hooked up to. In any case, I'm sure you'll be able to get some good help at the aformentioned site. Good luck.
Old 03-06-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

guys, I'm looking for a dvdplayer that handles pal to ntsc conversion and that is region free with DTS. I've been using a CH500 for over a year and its already starting to act up a bit, and one i gave my girlfriend about 11 months ago just died. I'm looking at $100 range that is a more durable than the CH500. I'tll be playing with a standard 25"-27" TV. nothing special.
Old 03-07-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ahab
I currently am using the momitsu 880. Overall not a bad player, but the remote drives me crazy. Also, have not yet had a chance to see how well it does the pal to ntsc conversion.
I have the Momitsu V880DX connected to a Sammy DLP via DVI>HDMI at 720p res. I have tried numerous upconverting players (samsung, denon and panasonic) and in my view, this one is the best for the money ($250). Plus, its region free/macrovision free!

I have tried PAL disks and see no difference over NTSC. It is definately a wonderful player. I agree though, the only downside is the crappy remote, but I can live with that for all the other features.
Old 03-07-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RonBoster
Thrush is correct. I would visit the avs stand. def dvd player forum at www.avsforum.com. What is your budget?

Ron

PS: Yes, I have the Pioneer. I chose it for PQ quality, upconversion and HDMI output. The euro version is HDMI out of the box
I've been to avsforum before. I'm just more of a regular here so here's where I thought I should ask.

As for my budget, I'm working on a sanbox mentality here. I just wanted to have a general idea as to how much I'd have to save up for the best bang for my buck. But in the real world the Momitsu sounds more in tune to my currently available price range.

As for the Momitsu, regarding it's universaly panned remote, can this be corrected programming it's functions into any universal remote or would I instead be better off getting a remote like the Logitech Harmony to do away with the Momitsu remote?
Old 03-07-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As for the Momitsu, regarding it's universaly panned remote, can this be corrected programming it's functions into any universal remote or would I instead be better off getting a remote like the Logitech Harmony to do away with the Momitsu remote?
You would be better off programming them into a harmony. My issue is that the IR sensor is not very responsive (I think its specific to my player though). So, after about 6 feet, my remote doesnt work. I need to send mine in for a fix.

Also, if you have any pioneer equipment (especially receivers), the momitsu remote conflicts with it (they used the same IR codes as Pioneer).
Old 03-07-05, 02:44 PM

Mine!

it holds 301 and tis nice too lazy buggers dream come true!

Old 03-07-05, 03:12 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with the JVB modification suggestion. You will will end up with the better quality DVD player. It worked great with my Panny RP-82 and allows for PAL conversion as well.

Personally, I was buying today, I would take the Denon 3910 over any of the others mentioned. It does not have the macroblocking problem you may have read about elsewhere with proper calibration and I believe there's a region-free code/firmware update for it somewhere. There's a good review of the 3910 here and evaluations on a number of players here.
Old 03-07-05, 06:35 PM

Anyone have experiences with the JVC players?...i'm trying to stay within a small budget for a region free player and spend more on an up-conversion or HD player and have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-09-05, 08:51 AM

Has anyone found a dvd player that does the pal to ntsc conversion very well? My momitsu 880 is better at it than the pioneer578a, but they both exhibit ghosting whenever there is much on-screen motion.
Just got my first pal disc the other day - Angel Face - and have found it unwatchable because of this ghosting.
Old 03-09-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Romerojpg
Mine!

it holds 301 and tis nice too lazy buggers dream come true!

I've got one just like that one. I assume is the Sony DVP-CX860. It can play all regions, but it won't do PAL DVD's. Mine doesn't like CD-R's either. DVD-R's work fine. Bought mine in Mexico.
Old 03-09-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a newer player that has the same features as the Malata N996? I've been looking to replace it sometime soon. HDMI and upconverting would be a plus. X/Y scaling and the ability to automatically detect if it is a 4x3 or anamorphic pic and to display as such. Most players I have come across doesn't do this and I have to change the aspect ratio on the tv to display the picture correctly. Thanks.
Old 04-02-05, 01:02 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Best Region Free player?

Guys,

I'm looking for some advice/help.

Where's the best place to get a region free DVD player from? Preferably one with the least amount of hassle too that is reasonably priced.

Any help/links would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-05, 03:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I would like to add: Best pictured (video) player under $200...
Old 04-02-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked this Malata up about two months ago: Malata 558 and so far it has played everything I've thrown at it. See specs.

There are two features I haven't used. One is DVD-Audio .. as it's set up to deliver. It does very good PAL-NTSC coversion in anamorphic .. on a 32" Sony Wega, but for the second feature that I don't use .. is progressive scan.

One negative remark on this player is in relation to its audio capabilities. I find the audio dynamic range to be a bit lacking when compared to my Pioneer 578 and my former Integra DTR player. Clarity seems to get muddied up when there is a lot of audio information happening or when there are sharp volume spikes .. with explosions, thunder and such. The other thing that gets me is the lack of dimming capabilities. There is a blue LED that lights up the room and is always on in suspended mode or on. The info display is rather bright as well, so be forewarned.

Keep in mind that this is all coming through a moderate level surround sound set up. So, if you're all about the video and are unconcerned with dynamic audio value, then this might be a good match.

Out of 5 ...

Audio: 3

Video: 4

Features/capability: 4

Construction/durability ..
Console: 4
Remote: 3

Cost/value: 4 (because for the price, it does do DVDAudio)

Appearance/chick factor: 4
Old 04-02-05, 04:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDMagic, I've merged your question with a similar thread from last month. From 2004, see also:

I need help finding a good DVD player inc. e-tailer recommendation(s) [merged]

+ What are some good online places for region free players..US and abroad?

& Recommended Region Free DVD Players ?

Last edited by benedict; 04-02-05 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-02-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My MALATA n-996 literally BLEW UP on me today.

I heard popping noises from the other room and then the power went off for about 3 seconds or so.

Opened the Malata up and it looks like 3-4 capacitors,etc. just BLEW UP!!!

R.I.P.

It was a great player...

Now I need to find a new player, but one that also has DVD-Audio.

Last edited by Heliosphann; 04-02-05 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
I'm now torn between getting the Momitsu V880DX or the Oppo DV971H. I don't really want to spend more than that, and I like the features of these (upconversion, DTS, DivX). I've read the discussions on this board and avsforums about these, but it's still not clear. The Oppo is $50 less -- some say the PQ is better. But there are also questions of macroblocking and it seems there are a number of other bugs that still have yet to be worked out through firmware updates. Everyone hates the remote for the Momitsu, but aside from that people seem really happy with the quality (for the most part). I'll be hooking it up to a Mitsubishi 62" DLP (WD-62525). Oh well, decisions decisions.
Old 04-03-05, 11:02 AM

Panny RP-82 and allows for PAL conversion as well
Do you mean PAL 'output'? I'm not aware of any Panasonics that do PAL to NTSC transcoding.
Old 04-08-05, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm now torn between getting the Momitsu V880DX or the Oppo DV971H. I don't really want to spend more than that, and I like the features of these (upconversion, DTS, DivX). I've read the discussions on this board and avsforums about these, but it's still not clear. The Oppo is $50 less -- some say the PQ is better. But there are also questions of macroblocking and it seems there are a number of other bugs that still have yet to be worked out through firmware updates. Everyone hates the remote for the Momitsu, but aside from that people seem really happy with the quality (for the most part). I'll be hooking it up to a Mitsubishi 62" DLP (WD-62525). Oh well, decisions decisions.
It would be wise to wait until the new firmware update comes out for the Oppo, it fixes ALOT of bugs.

If you have a higher budget, I would seriously recommend getting a modded 59avi, it's pretty much one of the best DVD players out there. At around $1000 dollars though, its quite pricey.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.