Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

magazines XBN and GMR no more

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-13-05, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if anyone knew of this already but it kinda pissed me off yesterday. Last night, I received my XBN magazine and was reading the editors note when at the bottom of it he states that this is going to be the last XBN magazine for quite a while. That sucks, I realy enjoy this magazine. Then, as I'm reading the inside, they have a section that states their "shame of the month" and there was two. One that XBN was closing shop and the other stating that sister magazine GMR was closing shop as well. Now that realy sucks. Not that GMR was realy a great magazine, but I subscribe to both of them. Anyone else in this boat.

Darth
Old 01-13-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so let me get this straight, my brand new subsription to XBN that starts this month(Jan issue) and doesn't expire until Jan 07 is dead? son of a...
Old 01-13-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh well...there goes my free XBN subscription that started out free and continued free. No wonder they are going out of business.....
Old 01-13-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
[sarcasm] Deja vu. Didn't we already discuss this. I know it was WAY back in 2004, but surely the search engine can still pick it up.[/sarcasm]

I enjoyed my free XBN as well. Wasn't as biased in the reviews unlike the official mag.
Old 01-13-05, 11:20 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's the free subscriptions killing them, i wonder when EGM is going to bite it?
Old 01-13-05, 11:34 AM

I don't know but I get EGM free until 07' sometime and the last issue I've gotten was that Holiday one....I haven't gotten last months and now I see a new issue is out at the book store and I haven't gotten that yet either. I may have to call...I need something to read on the toilet and at work during lunch!
Old 01-13-05, 11:45 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by Wompratz
I don't know but I get EGM free until 07' sometime and the last issue I've gotten was that Holiday one....I haven't gotten last months and now I see a new issue is out at the book store and I haven't gotten that yet either. I may have to call...I need something to read on the toilet and at work during lunch!
LoL that sounds like something I could have written. Bathroom material all the way, but I haven't gotten an issue for like 2 months.
Old 01-13-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

XBN was excellent. It's too bad that EGM isn't nearly as focused on games and content as they were. Not to mention that the layout and aesthetics of the mag were light years better than the other US gaming mags.

Gamefan forever!
Old 01-13-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wompratz
Had the same problem with EGM, so I went to their customer service web site and sent them an email. They indicated that my subscription had been suspended but they "reactivated" it. My sub is good through like 2010. They would not/could not say why it was suspended.
Old 01-13-05, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sniper308
Had the same problem with EGM, so I went to their customer service web site and sent them an email. They indicated that my subscription had been suspended but they "reactivated" it. My sub is good through like 2010. They would not/could not say why it was suspended.
Interesting....I'll check that out. Maybe I have the same problem...Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-13-05, 07:24 PM

You know I never got the last issue either, completely skipped my mind, got a sub until 2008 so i'll need to check on that.
Old 01-13-05, 09:40 PM

I just got the new issue. It has a gray cover with Doom 3, stating is has an exclusive review. Skimmed through it, if it did in fact go under, I'm sure gonna miss it.
Old 01-13-05, 10:31 PM

Gamestar also folded, pretty quickly after launching I believe. I liked GMR the most of all the print pubs, they pulled no punches in their reviews.
Old 01-13-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
Don't know if anyone knew of this already...
These people did:

XBN and GMR Gone - http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400831
Old 01-14-05, 01:44 AM

About a year ago someone posted a link to subscribe to EGM for free, so my subscription is almost over How did you guys get EGM for free? Is there a link somewhere?
Old 01-14-05, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
[sarcasm] Deja vu. Didn't we already discuss this. I know it was WAY back in 2004, but surely the search engine can still pick it up.[/sarcasm]

I enjoyed my free XBN as well. Wasn't as biased in the reviews unlike the official mag.
[sarcasm] Sorry, didn't mean to piss people off or ruin anyones day by posting something thats already been posted. I mean god forbid, what was I thinking. It won't happin again masser, I'll be real good from now on and use that there search engine masser. [sarcasm]

If you already knew this, why even click on the post other than to bitch?
Old 01-14-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sniper308
I had the same problem. They asked if I moved recently. I told them I moved in July, but they sent me issues at the new address up through the December issue. No explanation, just a 'your subscription has been restarted' email. My 'first' issue will be April! I've already missed the issue with PSP coverage, now I have to wait until the April issue?
Old 01-14-05, 08:36 PM

Yeah I got EGM until Jan 08...I sent an email about missing issues since their year end "Holiday" issue along with my name and address. I get back an email response from "Muriel" about my missing issues asking for what issues I am missing and for my name and address.....Uh....ok....I thought I had sent that information originally.