Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Jackson' Heavenly Creatures

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peter Jackson' Heavenly Creatures

Old 01-05-05, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures

Is this film good? The only movies I've seen of his are LOTR, which I really liked (Fellowship being one of my favorite movies of all time). I want to see more work of his, but Heavenly Creatures seems to be the only one I'm interested in (horror is my least favorite movie genre).

So what do you think of this one?

Last edited by daniel18; 01-05-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 01:27 PM

Excellent movie. More of a character drama, although it has fantasy sequences that bear the mark of Peter Jackson. I think this was Kate Winslet's first movie and shes wonderful in it, as is Melanie Lynskey. The ending of this movie is very powerful and brutal. Based on this film, he should do a very good job with "The Lovely Bones" which apparently he will adapt after "King Kong". As for his other films, his "horror" movies are much more like gory comedies. I can't imagine anyone getting scared by any of those films, but they're very funny. His first movie, "Bad Taste" is very gross and very silly, as are "Meet the Feebles" and "Dead/Alive" (aka Braindead). "The Frighteners" was his first big-budget, Hollywood film and is closer in tone to something like "Beetlejuice" or "Ghostbusters", and while its flawed, it has some excellent sequences. He also made a wonderful mockumentary called "Forgotten Silver" about a supposed innovative film director from the early 1900's. Its a really clever film and could probably fool someone who didn't know it was a fake from the getgo.
Old 01-05-05, 01:37 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Great movie!
Old 01-05-05, 01:58 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for it, but I think it's far and away Jackson's best work.
Old 01-05-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a fabulous film, and definately sits right next to LoTR as one of his best works. It also was an academy award nominee for best screenplay.

Of interest, if you've seen the movie, look up British author Anne Perry. She writes novels of murder mystery, and is in fact Juliet Hume, the character that Kate Winslet played. Apparently she hid her identity until she was exposed around the time of the movie. Interesting as she is now a rather successful author.
Old 01-05-05, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic movie with superb acting from Lynskey and Winslet. Whimsical, sad, enchanting and disturbing. Still probably Jackson's best film.
Old 01-05-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
I'll probably get flamed for it, but I think it's far and away Jackson's best work.
I agree...I finally replaced my old ratted vhs(last one left, after my original trilogy tapes) with the dvd 2 months ago. This is the movie that started my infatuation with Kate Winslet.
Old 01-05-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
You won't be getting flamed by me.

I agree 100%

Not a fan of any of his other films.
Old 01-05-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I'll join in and say it's a wonderful movie. It shows that he doesn't need over-the-top gore or epic battles to make an engaging story. (Of course, I love his gore/epic movies too ).

He does a superb job as a director, not only with our two distressed damsels but with the entire supporting cast. His attention to detail really pulls you into New Zealand during the '50's.

Highly recommended!

p.s. - I keep hoping that Peter can revisit this movie and put out a nice DVD SE. I know, he's a little busy these days
Old 01-05-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great movie. Of course I seem to be turning into a Peter Jackson fanboy becuae I love (for very different reasons) every one of his movies.
Old 01-05-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I thought it was a very good movie. I say check it out.
Old 01-05-05, 11:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its a good film (based on a true story), I could watch it again but don't think I'd buy it.
Old 01-06-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
Its a good film (based on a true story), I could watch it again but don't think I'd buy it.
I also agree that it was a great film! And knowing that it was a true story truly blew me away....
Old 01-06-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with you guys, for me it's right there with Return of the King for his most complete film, and right there with Feebles for most enjoyable. I'm suprised by how relatively few people have seen this considering how big he's become.
Old 01-06-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
When I first saw it, I didn't know what to expect, after first discovering Jackson with DEAD ALIVE (Brain Dead), and then checking out BAD TASTE and MEET THE FEEBLES. It was very different from those films, but still very good. I like it.
Old 01-06-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by victant
I also agree that it was a great film! And knowing that it was a true story truly blew me away....
Even more interesting is that one of girls is now murder mystery writer Anne Perry. My mom reads alot of her books.
Old 01-06-05, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by fallfan
Excellent movie. More of a character drama, although it has fantasy sequences that bear the mark of Peter Jackson. I think this was Kate Winslet's first movie and shes wonderful in it, as is Melanie Lynskey. The ending of this movie is very powerful and brutal. Based on this film, he should do a very good job with "The Lovely Bones" which apparently he will adapt after "King Kong". As for his other films, his "horror" movies are much more like gory comedies. I can't imagine anyone getting scared by any of those films, but they're very funny. His first movie, "Bad Taste" is very gross and very silly, as are "Meet the Feebles" and "Dead/Alive" (aka Braindead). "The Frighteners" was his first big-budget, Hollywood film and is closer in tone to something like "Beetlejuice" or "Ghostbusters", and while its flawed, it has some excellent sequences. He also made a wonderful mockumentary called "Forgotten Silver" about a supposed innovative film director from the early 1900's. Its a really clever film and could probably fool someone who didn't know it was a fake from the getgo.

Hmm... maybe I'll check them out. But thanks for spoiling Forgotten Silver...