Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Another Spiderman 2 release next year?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 11-30-04, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that the studio is actually going to release another edition of Spider-Man 2 as an "extended cut" version. Can anyone confirm this? Don't want to jump in for anything this week (was going to get the gift set, actually) if they are going to release a better version next year...Studios SUCK!
Old 11-30-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Yes it's true, it's called "Spiderman 2.5", coming out Spring of next year, Sam Raimi is going to add a few more scenes, mostly to the train sequence. All in all, the extended cut will add a few minutes. Not worth the wait, IMO.
Old 11-30-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts
Sam Raimi has mentioned in more than one interview that Sony asked him to come back and make a "2.5" version of the film. He admits that he's happy enough with what;s there, but Sony knows how to ,ilk these things. He mentioned that they'll be tweaking the action scenes with additional CGI shots, though he didn't elaborate (at least in what I've read) on any other additions.
Old 11-30-04, 02:35 AM

Sam Raimi working on Spiderman 2.5 special edition DVD

Sam Raimi told SCI FI Wire, that he is adding all-new scenes to the film for an upcoming "Spider-Man 2.5" special-edition DVD.

He said: "I'm kind of completing scenes that I didn't have the money to complete when we did the movie. I mean, the movie really was the best I could make it. It's not like I think I could make it better. But I said, 'OK, well, if you want to spend money and really give the kids a few more action scenes, OK, that's fine.' It's the kids' choice if they want to spend that money. And then I think it's fair.".

The new version will include extended action scenes and computer animation created specifically for the DVD release. "It may not seem like a lot to you, but it's a lot to me," Raimi said. "There's like six seconds new of the train. There's going to be like eight seconds new of some water fight you never saw. There's like 12 seconds new on the Bugle building. For me, though, 12 seconds is six shots that all have to be figured out, and within that two seconds, the amount of animation of each of those tentacles and how Spidey's going to move. It's very complicated for me."

Sam Raimi also admitted that the studio's decision to release two versions was mainly financially motivated, saying: "It's just a financial decision by the studio. They know the people who like the second movie would want to own it as it is on DVD. And then it's just a gamble. 'Oh, if we spend another $4 million can we make another $10 million?' I think that's how it works with them. I'm assuming that's what it is."

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1445.html
Old 11-30-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where's the "bargain"? Shouldn't this be in the DVD Talk Forum?
Old 11-30-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Where's the "bargain"? Shouldn't this be in the DVD Talk Forum?
What? You don't think that waiting several months and re-buying a title that will have (according to the director) approximately 26 extra seconds of footage is a bargain?
Old 11-30-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Where's the "bargain"?
There isn't one
Shouldn't this be in the DVD Talk Forum?
It already is.
Old 11-30-04, 02:24 PM

thanks for the posts...i think ill get in on the gift set for now