Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Phil Spector & Girl Groups?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-28-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my ongoing quest to purchase every worthy song ever made (), I now turn my attention to the Wall of Sound. Or just kick ass girl groups. I've kind of avoided this area of rock because a lot of it sounds samey to me and I don't care much for some of the doo wop stuff around the same period. But every time I hear "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes I'm completely transfixed (and I also dig "Walking in the Sand" by the Shangra-las.)

I've been aware of the "Back to Mono" set from Phil Spector. I know there are some incredible songs on it, but I never could justify the price, especially with a full disc of Christmas songs (don't care for that stuff).

Anyway, do you know of any good various artists discs you are satisfied with... should I just suck it up and get that Spector set?
Old 11-29-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the Spector set.

I was at Brian Wilson's house and he was showing me the jukebox he'd just gotten for his birthday.

He puts a song on and of course it's his all-time favorite "Be My Baby".

Then he said "you've got 'Back to Mono' right? I said no and he said "WHAT? YOU DON'T HAVE IT????????"

So I found a used copy a few months later.
Old 11-29-04, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was one of the first box sets I ever bought. (I was a weird, geeky child, and into that wall of sound stuff). It's good. You get everything you need, more or less, from Phil Spector's non-Beatles-related stuff, IMO, including "River Deep Mountain High," "You Lost that Loving Feeling," etc. Good pop music. Just get it. Get it!

Editted to add: BTW, this sounds like a noble quest. I would be interested in what you have and what else you are trying to acquire. You can send me a PM if you want. I would really like to know.
Old 11-29-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Laertes
Editted to add: BTW, this sounds like a noble quest. I would be interested in what you have and what else you are trying to acquire. You can send me a PM if you want. I would really like to know.
Can we not PM? Says disabled by moderator in my profile. Anyway, Laertes... email me. It's in my profile. I'd be interested in an offline discussion as well. I also have my CD collection listed in my sig. Mainly alternative-type rock... lots of 80's stuff.

Buford, were you joking about being at Wilson's house? I am the king of sarcasm at work and fool people ALL the time, but I honestly can't read any joking from your post!

So, I guess I'll end up getting the Mono box one day. The unfortunate thing is that it's a bit more expensive than other box sets. I already have a Righteous Bros. best of. If I get that box I'll just add a girl group comp. to make it semi-complete.
Old 11-29-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No I was not joking.