Reload this Page >

Valve Bans 20,000 people from steam for using a pirated cdkey

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-23-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it. Anyone who tried to use a certain cdkey has been banned. 20k plus accounts are gone now.

that's great. Most of the complaining on the forum though is from people who lost all their legit games because they tried to use the pirated key on their account with legal games.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/s...hreadid=184810

discuss?

oh btw didn't see a thread on this that's why i'm starting one.. if there is one then let me know and i'll delete this one

Last edited by glassdragon; 11-23-04 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-23-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

why would anyone use the pirated cdkey for a LEGIT purpose?

These people broke the rules, they got banned.

birrman54
Old 11-23-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no i mean their account already had Halflife, Condition zero and such all purchased legally.. They they tried to steal HL2 and they lost ALL of their legal games too. I guess they tried to steal it and when it didn't work for them they bought it.. and got that Legal hl2 key banned because they tried to steal if at one time.. Still funny, they never should have even tried to steal it in the first place
Old 11-23-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It kind of freaks me out. They take away games that were legally purchased. It's kind of like a lack of due process or something.

That said, I don't have much sympathy.

Also, I know in the past, one game I purchased didn't include a CD key. Because I wasn't going to use the multiplayer, I just found one online. With the fact that many people have purchased this game, but had problems connecting to steam in order to get the files unlocked, maybe some people tried to get a hacked version... and now can't play their legal version, since they're banned. Once I even downloaded a game because I ordered the retail online, and it got delayed in shipping.
Old 11-23-04, 02:15 AM

It seems wrong for Valve to take away all your other games. They should just disable the one game you tried to steal. However the person in that forum is pretty whiney and should just blame his cousin.
Old 11-23-04, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent!
Old 11-23-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, what's to stop these people from just re-installing the Legal games they had, which were broken?
Old 11-23-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the cdkey is forever tied to their account that was deleted. If they try to put the games on another account it will say the cdkey has been used and won't let them
Old 11-23-04, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Based on comments in this forum, I bet more than a few DVDTalkers were caught in the scheme.
Old 11-23-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? where? another thread, or this one? Aside from mine (and I bought the game legally and didn't try to use a fake cd key... you can see my bitching about the CE I purchased in all the other HL2 threads ) I don't really see any comments here.
Old 11-23-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never really liked half life so I passed on this one. Good thing too, sounds like a company I would rather not support. I have no problem with them blocking a person from playing an illegal game but blocking them from playing games they have legally purchased just tastes like EULA abuse to me. I hate EULAs....
Old 11-23-04, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
Really? where? another thread, or this one?
Not this thread, just in general on this forum.
Old 11-29-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What if I were to make copies of my original discs for a friend and also give him access to my account? Would that work, i.e. could we both use the same account at the same time?

Seriously, I have no interest in trying this. Simply being hypothetical.
Old 11-29-04, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
What if I were to make copies of my original discs for a friend and also give him access to my account? Would that work, i.e. could we both use the same account at the same time?
That wouldn't work. Only one person can be using a Steam account at any given time. You guys could take turns using the account, but not at the same time.
Old 11-29-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have my account on 3 different PCs and it works out fine. I had several keys, so I have a couple accounts.
Old 11-29-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I was interested in how I would be able to install the game on two different PCs, my desktop and my laptop, and it seems easy enough. I read you can even play at the same time, but I think only different games, e.g., I could play Half-Life 2, while on the other PC, a friends plays CS:S. Kinda neat.
Old 11-29-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really have no problem with valve trying to make a system for people not to steal their software, but this is crazy. What if 5 years down the road Vavle goes belly up or decides to get rid of Steam for another system? Do you loose rights to play all the games you bought?
Old 11-29-04, 03:54 PM

I suppose if something goes awry in 5 years and I lose my right to play Half-Life 2 on Steam, if I really want to play it I'll go pick it up out of the bargain bin.
Old 11-29-04, 03:57 PM

In the words of Nelson "Ha Ha!"
Old 11-29-04, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I suppose if something goes awry in 5 years and I lose my right to play Half-Life 2 on Steam, if I really want to play it I'll go pick it up out of the bargain bin.
Yeah, but unless Valve releases a version of HL2 that works without Steam, that's not possible. Both retail and Steam downloaded versions require Steam to work. If Valve were to go belly up, we'd be SOL on playing legit versions, at least in its current state.
Old 11-29-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

that's what i heard too, that the CD version is nothing more than the Steam files on CD. I think Valve is getting ahead of the game here with this. I can understand if they sell a downloadable version that you simply burn to CD. Maybe they should have done something like that and simply found a way to watermark each download or something similar.
Old 11-29-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If Valve goes belly up, they will find a way to not make everyone get screwed over. Besides that, it doesn't look like they will be belly up any time soon.

This is very funny news.
Old 11-30-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

on a lighter note i read about this last week on anandtech.

someone had a link to the steam forums where someone complained about their account being shutdown. The mods answered that they were trying to buy the game with 19 different credit cards over a few months with fake names. I'm willing to be a large part of the shutdown accounts are people actually trying to steal the game.
Old 11-30-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
on a lighter note i read about this last week on anandtech.

someone had a link to the steam forums where someone complained about their account being shutdown. The mods answered that they were trying to buy the game with 19 different credit cards over a few months with fake names. I'm willing to be a large part of the shutdown accounts are people actually trying to steal the game.
I think the link that started this thread is that discussion at the steam forums.
Old 11-30-04, 08:16 AM

Doesn't this mean that you can't sell your copy of HL2 without also giving the person your account details?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.