Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Almost Famous missing HBO feature

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost Famous missing HBO feature

Today I bought the original release of Almost Famous at Best Buy. The back cover clearly states that the special features include the HBO behind the scenes featurette. My disc does not have it! Can anyone explain this? I already have the Bootleg cut but wanted the HBO feature because this is one of my all time favorite movies. What's going on here???
Old 11-21-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hrmm odd. I have the 1-disc, and I'll have to check it out when I get back to school next week. I don't remember watching it, but we shall see...
Old 11-21-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I could swear that I remember watching the HBO featurette when I first bought the single-disc version. I'll try to check later tonight when I get out of work.
Old 11-22-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The single disc version I used to have included the HBO First Look special. The Untitled set I replaced it with loses the special though(along with the music video).
Old 11-22-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own the 2 disc version but rented the 1 disc when it came out. I think there were two pages of extras on it and the HBO stuff might be on page 2.
Old 11-22-04, 09:09 AM

Almost Famous special features mystery

There is only one page of special features on this disc. To make matters really strange, the Cleveland Concert, the Small Time Blues song with Pete Droge, and the Stairway To Heaven scene are all part of the special features on this disc! But no HBO featurette and no Fever Dog video. Despite the fact that the back cover of the DVD case clearly states that the special features are the ones that were originally on the single disc release before the Bootleg ever came out.
It looks to me like the studio made an updated version of the single disc with a new set of special features without changing the text on the back cover of the DVD case.
The bottom line is that I bought this DVD specifically for the HBO behind the scenes featurette and I don't have it!!!
Now what? Will Best Buy take back my opened DVD because of the circumstances?
I bet I can find an older version of the single disc in the meantime. What would you say to best Buy?
Old 11-22-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen it (on HBO, as I recall), and as typical of the HBO featurettes, it's an irredeemably saccharine shot right at the heart of the lowest common denominator. Mostly sell-sell with a little sap and maulin sentimentality thrown in for good measure. to put it bluntly, it absolutely, positively sucks.

[About the time you get to the part where Crowe is waxing sentimental about the sappiest of sappy exchanges in "Jerry McQuire" ('that's when I knew I was a real director'), you're ready to put your foot through the screen.]

I'd recommend you don't waste your time or money trying to acquire it.
Old 11-22-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
[About the time you get to the part where Crowe is waxing sentimental about the sappiest of sappy exchanges in "Jerry McQuire" ('that's when I knew I was a real director'), you're ready to put your foot through the screen.]

I'd recommend you don't waste your time or money trying to acquire it.
1) I agree.
2) You sir, have made me laugh.