Reload this Page >

Supergirl DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Supergirl DVD

Old 11-17-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supergirl DVD

Does anybody know what is the main difference between the Director's cut of Supergirl vs the 2 disc version or is the 2 disc set the director's cut? Is it just extra features or better audio & pictures?
Old 11-17-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some answers can be found here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=972
Old 11-18-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
The link above has most of what I was going to say, I just wanted to add that in my experience, all of Anchor Bay's titles that are in LE sets are just bundles of the non-LE versions (Halloween + Extended version, Army of Darkness + Director's Cut, etc.)

This is true even down to the disc art (and catalog numbers,) AFAIK.
Old 11-18-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
About 14 minutes running time.

This was quite a steal when KMart had them priced at $6 each.
Old 11-18-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After you've seen the Supergirl Director's Cut, you'll never go back to the theatrical version.
Old 11-18-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So if I'm correct, the limited edition has both the director's cut AND the international version. And the International Version has 5.1 surround wherea's the directors only has 1.0 sound. Thanks for your quck replies
Old 11-19-04, 08:46 AM

I was just looking at my Limited Edition copy yesterday. Actually haven't watched the DVD yet. It comes in a thick double case. The international version is 124 mins and the director's cut is 138 mins. I'd like to have the US theatrical versions of both this (114 min) and the original Superman to compare, but as far as I know, neither are out on DVD.
Old 11-19-04, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
The link above has most of what I was going to say, I just wanted to add that in my experience, all of Anchor Bay's titles that are in LE sets are just bundles of the non-LE versions (Halloween + Extended version, Army of Darkness + Director's Cut, etc.)

This is true even down to the disc art (and catalog numbers,) AFAIK.
Well, I'm pretty sure that the original LE Army of Darkness Director's Cut didn't look like a DVD-R and say "Offical Bootleg Edition". Did the LE theatrical version disc actually say what version of the movie it was on the disc, because my disc does not? Yes, I have made my own homemade LE Army of Darkness with the "Ash screaming" and "Bootleg" DVDs.
Old 11-21-04, 12:28 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by marioxb
Well, I'm pretty sure that the original LE Army of Darkness Director's Cut didn't look like a DVD-R and say "Offical Bootleg Edition". Did the LE theatrical version disc actually say what version of the movie it was on the disc, because my disc does not? Yes, I have made my own homemade LE Army of Darkness with the "Ash screaming" and "Bootleg" DVDs.
I *think* there was a non-LE director's cut prior to the bootleg edition.

I never had the bootleg edition, only the theatrical and then later on the 2-disc LE. The 2-disc LE had the exact same disc as my theatrical edition, so I was worried someone had done a swap, but after posting a thread about it here, other members assured me that the LE had the same disc as the theatrical version.
Old 07-19-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too was curious about the difference between these two versions of Supergirl, and I found a much more useful analysis of the differences between the international cut and the directors' cut here (5 pages with images-- extemely thorough!):
http://supermancinema.co.uk/supergir.../cutting_room/
Old 07-21-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the director's cut works much better than the other versions. The audio comentary on the international cut is also good.

None of the cuts explain why Supergirl is dating while her planet is being destroyed.
Old 07-22-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IIRC, the audio on the Director's Cut is 1.0 mono (which is fine) coming out of only the front left channel on 5.1 setups (not fine). I found it annoying, although I never watched the entire version, anyway.

DJ
Old 07-22-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couldn't you just switch to Stereo mode to have the mono come from left/right?
Old 07-22-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Couldn't you just switch to Stereo mode to have the mono come from left/right?
Could be, but I didn't watch it long enough to bother trying.

DJ
Old 07-25-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Despite the technical glitches and the cheesy movie, I have to admit that the documentary included on this disc puts so many other newer "making of" features to shame! If you want to watch a cheesy behind-the-scenes feature nowdays, all you have to do is throw on any recent major Hollywood DVD release. On the other hand, this Supergirl featurette, which runs close to an hour, includes the actress rolling her eyes at the director on many an occassion. What a little brat! I love it!
Old 07-25-05, 03:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must say, the actress who played her was very good looking, but then in her later movies, she didn't look so good.
Old 07-25-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slowcloud
this Supergirl featurette, which runs close to an hour, includes the actress rolling her eyes at the director on many an occassion. What a little brat! I love it!
Sounds like she realized how much the movie was going to suck!
Old 07-25-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Sounds like she realized how much the movie was going to suck!
Perhaps. It was certainly the wrong kind of creative tension on the set-- on so many levels.
Old 07-25-05, 07:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Does anyone know if the SUPERGIRL (Helen Slater in costume) Safety Belt public service commercials exist on disc? They would have made a wonderful extra and I think there were 2 or 3 of them she made at the same time the film was made.
Old 07-25-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have an extra copy of the ANCHOR bay, if any one is looking.
Old 07-26-05, 12:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I remember buying this on a blind buy for $10 at K-Mart, watched it, then sold it...I regret this
Old 07-26-05, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kimiakane
Does anyone know if the SUPERGIRL (Helen Slater in costume) Safety Belt public service commercials exist on disc? They would have made a wonderful extra and I think there were 2 or 3 of them she made at the same time the film was made.
Crazy, but I can tell you this is not on the Anchor Bay Limited Edition (would have made a great extra, indeed, though-- retro extras are the best, like the featurette I already mentioned). I doubt it's on any of the other versions of this film, since this was the most complete version released (it even has reproductions of publicity material in the booklet, which included a maze, a crossword puzzle and more-- weird.).
Old 07-26-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I remember buying this on a blind buy for $10 at K-Mart, watched it, then sold it...I regret this
$10????

I remember getting it a K-Mart for $6 + tax. In fact I still have two out of the three I bought sealed in my vaults somehwere....