Reload this Page >

Spiderman 2.5

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spiderman 2.5

Old 06-28-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Spiderman 2.5

Just got my copy of this week's Video Store Magazine, did my usual quick perusal, and this caught my eye (or made my spider senses tingle):

Sam Raimi is already confirming a longer cut of Spiderman 2 (to be called Spiderman 2.5) to be released "long after" the theatrical release. He said that he will not be overseeing the disc, but has viewed all of the potential elements and offered advice and support.

Let the double dipping begin, again . . .
Old 06-28-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urrr....
Old 06-28-04, 02:08 PM

He talks about it in an interview @ Dark Horizons. WARNING! Spoilers in the full interview! No spoilers below though...

Question: SAM, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO SEE ON THE DVD?

Answer: There's not a lot that didn't make it in the final cut just like the last time. Pretty much what we had planned ended up in the picture. Now, 'There's ten seconds here that was a nice moment, lets trim that up to keep the pace going. This is interesting, but it turns out that that information in this particular scene is clear. We thought that maybe it wouldn't be clear, but we had this line here. It turns out the visual which we weren't thinking about when we made the script made it clear. So it seems redundant. Lets cut this out.' That's pretty much the type of things that were cut out.

Question: IS THERE A
Spoiler:
JK
SCENE THAT GOT CUT OUT?

Answer: You know what, yes. There's a
Spoiler:
JK
scene. I don't want to tell you. It's a surprise.

Question: THAT'LL BE ON THE DVD?

Answer: I think that Sony is planning to put it on the DVD later. I think that they're thinking is that they might do a 2.5 version. I think that they're thinking is that once the dad has spent the money to take the family to the movies, and then once the dad has bought the kid the DVD, they can still smell a few more bucks from the dad's pocket. The kid will say, 'Hey dad, I've got to buy the new one.' 'Didn't I take you to the movie and buy you the DVD already?' 'Yeah, but there's a new five minutes on this one.' I think that's what they're planning.
Old 06-28-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A longer cut not overseen by the Director ?

Hmmmmmm.........
Old 06-28-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't like the sound of that at all. No Raimi involvement = no sale for me.
Old 06-28-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's a
Spoiler:
JK
?
Old 06-28-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snowmaker:
Spoiler:
JK is, I expect, actor J.K. Simmons, a friend of Raimi's who plays J. Jonah Jameson.

I think this falls more under "rumor" than "confirmation" ... it sounds more like Raimi *mocking* standard DVD trends. Especially if "Pretty much what we had planned ended up in the picture" is true, because what [other than the
Spoiler:
JK
scene] would've been cut to restore?

Sidebar: Am I the only one who has a major pet peeve with studios changing the title of the film on the DVD? There is no "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark", no "Badder Santa", and no "X-Men 1.5". I'm glad they don't change the credits, but I wish they'd leave the spine alone, because I like the titles I see on my shelf to be accurate.
Old 06-28-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Here is the full article from VSM -- sounds like it was written from the same press conference:

Raimi: Extended Spider-Man 2 Planned
Author: FRED TOPEL

Director Sam Raimi said Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is planning an extended cut of Spider-Man 2, to be called Spider-Man 2.5 and to be released on DVD long after the theatrical cut of Spider-Man 2 streets.

During a press conference, Raimi said he is happy with the theatrical cut, which he estimates was only trimmed by five minutes, but he previewed the sorts of moments that might be reinstated.

“There’s 10 seconds here that was a nice moment, but it’s a little slow,” Raimi said. “Let’s trim that up to keep the pace going. This is interesting, but it turns out that information in this particular scene is clear. … That’s pretty much the type of things that were cut out.”

He teased the press with one complete scene featuring actor J.K. Simmons as the Daily Bugle editor that could be included in the extended cut.

“I don’t want to tell you [about it,” he said. “It’s a surprise.”

Raimi joked that the idea of doing extended cuts puts pressure on fathers to buy their children every incarnation of a film.

“I think that their thinking is that once the dad has spent the money to take the family to the movies, and then once the dad has bought the kid the DVD, they can still smell a few more bucks from the dad’s pocket,” he joked.

Extras planned for the theatrical cut DVD include behind-the-scenes featurettes, trailers, TV spots and more standard bonus features. Raimi was not directly involved in the production of those, but does exert his approval over the material.

“I do approve these things. I watch all of them, and I say, ‘Please, let’s not incorporate that. It seems too out of character for Spider-Man’ or ‘I don’t think the kids will like this,’” he said. “I usually make some edits and suggestions in each and every piece where I try not to give away too much of the magic unless it’s necessary. But really, it’s put together by other editors and filmmakers.”

Spider-Man 2 opens theatrically this week.
Old 06-28-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This one JK deleted scene is so amazing and so critical to the plot of Spidey 2 that when watching the movie with this scene added, it completely CHANGES the entire Spider-Man 2 movie. Nobody will ever look at the movie the same way again. Spider-Man 2.5 should be in everyones wish-list because, like i said above, this one deleted scene is so huge and magnificent that Sam Raimi fans everywhere will shit themselves. DOUBLE DIP!
Old 06-28-04, 04:26 PM
Suspended

It should already be known that Spider-man is Sony's cash cow, and they're going to milk it for every cent they can.
Old 06-29-04, 01:15 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let see, so far we got:

Spider-Man (separate WS & FS releases)
Spider-Man LE collector's box
Spider-Man Deluxe Edition
Spider-Man Superbit

Do we seriously think there will only be one version of Spider-Man 2?

Heck no!
Old 10-11-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait for Raimi Commentary Until 'Spider-Man 2.5'

Sun, Oct 10, 2004, 02:10 PM PT
By Kelly Glover, Special to Zap2it.com

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The "Spider-Man 2" DVD is scheduled to be released Nov. 30 with more than 10 hours of bonus materials and commentaries but director Sam Raimi ("A Simple Plan") tells Zap2it.com that his contribution to the "Spider-Man 2.5" DVD won't be ready until much later.
"I know I won't be done with my part of it," says Raimi who is working on new effect shots, editing, and storyboarding new scenes for the "Spider-Man 2.5" DVD. "I don't think I can be done until January at least, maybe February."

"Spider-Man 2.5" will be an extended cut of "Spider-Man 2." Raimi says that he will complete scenes that he didn't have the cash to finish when he did Spidey 2.

"I board-out with my artists a lot of the sequences in the Spider-Man movies that I eventually cut down for pacing sake, most often times for money sake -- we can't afford them," explains the director while out doing press for the Sarah Michelle Gellar horror flick "The Grudge."

Raimi says that the additional scenes are short but take a lot of time to create.

"It may not seem like a lot to you but it's a lot to me. It's like six seconds new of the train, there's going to be like eight seconds new of some water fight you never saw, there's like 12 seconds new on this battle building," Raimi explains. "For me though 12 seconds is six shots that all have to be figured out, and within thattwo2 seconds the amount of animation for each of those tentacles and how Spidey's going to move and it's very complicated for me."

In epic films like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings," extra footage released on DVD is often provided by scenes cut from the film and story left out of the novels. However, Raimi says that's not the case for "Spider-Man 2.5."

"We have to work the other way: what won't they [the audience] mind that we could put in?" he says.

Raimi says that releasing 2.5 as well as "Spider-Man 2" is simply a financial decision by the Sony. "They know that people who like the second movie would want to own it as it is on DVD. And then it's just a gamble. 'Oh if we spend another four million dollars can we make another $10 million?' I think that's how it works," he explains.

"It's not really that I had some scenes to put in. The movie really was the best I could make it. It's not like I could see how you make it better. But I said, 'Okay, if you want to spend money and really give the kids a few more action scenes in there, that's fine it's [the] kids choice if they want to spend that money,' but then I think it's fair."

"Spider-Man 2" is scheduled to be released Nov. 30. "Spider-Man 2.5" as yet has no scheduled release date.
Old 10-11-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spiderman 2 Reg.
Spiderman 2 Deluxe
Spiderman 2 SuperBit
Spiderman 2 Ultime Edition
Spiderman 2.5 Reg
Spiderman 2.5 Deluxe
Spiderman 2.5 Superbit
Spiderman/Spiderman 2.5 Double Pack.

Good grief. Sony sucks.
Old 10-11-04, 01:36 AM

no one is forcing you to buy every single version
Old 10-11-04, 02:23 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I will just pick up the Superbit first and wait for the 2.5 super deluxe edition. Most probably I will just hold out until reviews about the various 2.0 editions are out.
Old 10-11-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm gonna pick up the regular version first since they say that the double-dip will be a long ways off. If the 2.5 version is much better than the regular version, I'll pick that up too.
Old 10-11-04, 08:35 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm cool with this. As long as studios give the consumer a plan of what they plan on doing rather than just spring another release on us. This way, I'll be passing on part 2 and buy only 2.5.
Old 10-11-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
I'm gonna pick up the regular version first since they say that the double-dip will be a long ways off. If the 2.5 version is much better than the regular version, I'll pick that up too.
Same here man
Old 10-11-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much longer of a wait are we talking about here? If it's like the X-Men 1.5 DVD, it would come out roughly around the same time Spider Man 3 hits the theaters, which is about five years away. But Rami said his part would be done by February at the latest, which would't be that long of a wait.
Old 10-11-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
See, this is why I know there are going to be 3 Spiderman films, and why I am simply going to wait until there the comprehensive box set. Why bother going through all of this trouble when you know one is on the way? Rent or borrow it until then. Problem solved.
Old 10-11-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
"It's like six seconds new of the train, there's going to be like eight seconds new of some water fight you never saw, there's like 12 seconds new on this battle building"

I LOVE the movie but will not doubledip for 26 SECONDS

Last edited by GuessWho; 10-11-04 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 11:26 AM

I want to wait for the 2.5. With so many other dvds to buy and watch, its easy for me to hold out.
Old 10-11-04, 11:27 AM

I want to wait for the 2.5. With so many other dvds to buy and watch, its easy for me to hold out. I am trying to avoid the double dipping when possible.
Old 10-11-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I'm cool with this. As long as studios give the consumer a plan of what they plan on doing rather than just spring another release on us. This way, I'll be passing on part 2 and buy only 2.5.
But when this is officially announced, I guarantee we'll still hear crys of "Why didn't Sony tell us?!?!?"
Old 10-11-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally posted by steebo777
I don't like the sound of that at all. No Raimi involvement = no sale for me.
What? No interest in the "Non-Director's Cut: The So-So, Not Very Limited Edition"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.