Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Differences Between the Two Van Helsings?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-05-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a chance to take a look at the two different versions of Van Helsing at my job. But, I forgot to compare the two boxes to see what exactly the difference is between the regular one disc and the ultimate 3 disc. I know that the 3 disc has Dracula, Frankenstein & The Wolf Man on the 3rd disc, but is there more as of special features since there are two discs as opposed to one?
Old 10-05-04, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2nd disc of special features is exclusive to the 3-disc set.
Old 10-05-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by joshualane
The 2nd disc of special features is exclusive to the 3-disc set.
That sucks if you already own the Monster Legacy Collection. Kind of the same thing Universal pulled with the fourth disc of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. You had to buy something you already owned to get it.
Old 10-06-04, 12:28 AM
Banned

I just looked at it this way...since the movie isn't one of the all-time "classics" as it could have been, and was generally panned by most critics, I decided just to get the cheaper 1-disc version, although I think it was stupid to package this release this way. The regular version should have been 2-discs, with the bonus disc with the obvious deluxe version. But because the movie wasn't well liked, I can see why Universal is only going with the 1-disc route for the regular version.
Old 10-06-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plus I could easily see them coming out with a Directors Cut version.
Old 10-06-04, 08:33 PM

Good, I plan on picking up the 3 disc. Unlike most people, I actually liked this movie. Also I have $280 worth of store credit at Blockbuster after trading in a bunch of movies, so it'll be free! Plus I get my 20% discount, so all is good! THANKS!
Old 10-06-04, 08:43 PM

Just an FYI you might want to check your blockbuster, I picked up Van Helsing today (ultimate edition) and it was priced wrong at 22.99.
Old 10-06-04, 08:50 PM

I work at Blockbuster, and I priced it at $49.99 and it WON'T be out until the 19th. I am very strict on putting it out early. Maybe I'll check other Blockbusters, but I doubt that it will be out. I found one thing early at a Blockbuster, ONCE! And that was Snow White all those years ago. (The DVD, what was that 2000? 2001?)
Old 10-06-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Unrated eXXXtreme Undertaker MTV version?
Old 10-06-04, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Mokees, that price will change next week. They had Aladdin (regular edition) at $29.99 when we got it 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-06-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
No Unrated eXXXtreme Undertaker MTV version?
You have to wait until Van Helsing 2 for that version.
Old 10-07-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Will the 3 disc have the animated feature as well?

While I liked the movie, I really don't see myself purchasing the 3 disc unless the second one has material I would be interested in watching (i.e. Kate Beckinsale naked or doing exercises....naked!).
The third disc just seems like a rip off to me. I got enough to buy on the 19th without worrying about this.
Old 10-07-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

While I liked the movie, I really don't see myself purchasing the 3 disc unless the second one has material I would be interested in watching (i.e. Kate Beckinsale naked or doing exercises....naked!).
The third disc just seems like a rip off to me. I got enough to buy on the 19th without worrying about this.
Same here. I don't like those other movies that it comes with for me to justify spending an extra $20 or so. It is bad enough October is going to be an expensive month.
Old 10-07-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Is it just me, or is Universal's new marketing ploy to package their re-makes with the originals?

Look at it this way: we have Cape Fear two pack

-The deluxe Scarface set had both the original and Pacino classic.

-The Truth About Charlie included the original Charade

-Van Helsing, while not a re-make, does re-imagine the myths of their classic monsters, and has a package with the originals thrown into the mix as well.

I would see the logic of this if it weren't for the fact that most of these classics included as bonus material only serve to illustrate how inferior the new versions are in comparison.
Old 10-07-04, 01:21 PM

I just didn't like that they ADVERTISED the Monster Legacy Collection and Van Helsing together when it was out at the theaters.

I bought the Legacy set off the net after seeing the advertisements.

It just plan pisses me off that I have to buy the 3 disk set, that includes something they already sold me, to get the 2nd disk.

I will probably end up getting the single disk because of this.

Universal sucks!

Rememebr Jurassic Park DTS problem? Spy Game subtitle problem? Back to the Future framing issue? and Fast and the Furious subtitle issue?

No other studio has had more technical issues than I can think of, yet they still want us to line their pockets! Rubbish!
Old 10-08-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had preorded the Special Edition even though I already have the old Monster movies, but trying to save some cash decided to just get the Regular edition at Best Buy because they have a bonus disc with some features. So I'll make my own 2 disc set, lol and save $20 for passing on the old monster movies.
(im sure the bb bonus disk wont have nearly as many features as the SE but it helped me decide
Old 10-08-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the R4 version that has the second disc with extras, and it's really nothing special. The only thing I found interesting was the 15 minute featurette on Beckinsale and the three brides. All those women are gorgeous, and it was nice to see some behind the scenes stuff on them (although they were clothed). If you really want the second disc and don't want to foot 50 bucks for the "Ultimate" 3 disc set (and you are all region capable), get the R2 or R4 versions. I got mine for about 20 bucks shipped (and I've had it for about a month).
Old 10-08-04, 01:34 PM

Are the extras really worth that much to have to also repurchase an inferior product of the Legacy Collection when you have a much better Legacy version?? I don't think so. I'll just buy the one disk and use the extra cash to pick the Mummy and Creature packs.

doc
Old 10-09-04, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Mokees, that price will change next week. They had Aladdin (regular edition) at $29.99 when we got it 2 weeks ago.
I know, thanks anyway, looking for a hopeful $44.99 or $39.99

Originally posted by DrMcKittrick

Are the extras really worth that much to have to also repurchase an inferior product of the Legacy Collection when you have a much better Legacy version?? I don't think so. I'll just buy the one disk and use the extra cash to pick the Mummy and Creature packs.
Yeah, if you like the movie, I could care less about the monster movies, because i own those, but i want the second disc.