Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony Wega

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-00, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just brought the 32" home last night for around $700. Was wondering what you all thought would be a good DVD player to purchase (no more than $400) to use with this set. I have a couple ideas but admittedly I'm not the best judge of quality with DVD players.

Thanks in advance for your insight and recommendations.
Old 11-20-00, 01:39 PM

I own a WEGA, and I have the Toshiba SD2200. I really like the quality of the player (especially now that I have it hooked-up via component input) as well as the nice zoom function it has. I've been hearing a lot of talk about problems with the Toshiba firmware, but I have yet to encounter any problems with mine. Since you don't have progressive scan component inputs, I don't really see the need to go with a progressive scan DVD player.

Good luck.

------------------
My DVD Collection
Old 11-20-00, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too have a Wega and am looking for dvd players for it. Take a look at the Sony DVP-S570D. It has built in dts and DD decoders, and it matches the wega. I found it online for $329.
Old 11-20-00, 02:34 PM

I also have the 32 in wega, and i have a sony dvd player. I would recomend sony, because i like it, and their compatibility. Whatever you choose, get component video, it looks good
Old 11-20-00, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can someone explain the difference between all the different WEGA models? There seem to be dozens...
Old 11-20-00, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Phuzbox:
I too have a Wega and am looking for dvd players for it. Take a look at the Sony DVP-S570D. It has built in dts and DD decoders, and it matches the wega. I found it online for $329.<HR>

You don't need to go with the S570D unless your receiver does not have the capability to decode DD/DTS but is DD/DTS ready.

If your receiver is able to decode DD/DTS then you might want to look at the Sony S360. 800.com has it for $249. With MSN Passport discount, 800.com discount coupon you can get it for less then $200.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-21-00, 09:02 AM

Question, how'd you pull home a 32 inch wega for $700? And I don't want to hear about coupon business etc, what store gives you that deal?
Old 11-21-00, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by guybrush:
Question, how'd you pull home a 32 inch wega for $700? And I don't want to hear about coupon business etc, what store gives you that deal?<HR>

I was wondering who'd ask me that

My wife and I went into a B&M to purchase a 36" Toshiba for around $600. Of course, they did not have anymore of that model instock, so he offered to meet us halfway on a $900 Toshiba 36". I then asked him if he'd do the same on the 32" Wega and he reluctantly agreed.

Now I have the cost down to $750.
Throw in the 10% coupon I had and we're under $700 before taxes. AND they included a free TV stand as well.

By the way, THANKS to all that made recommendations. It's either a Sony or Pioneer for us.