Best Buy in-store Price Match policy?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-04-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang!

What is Best Buy's price match policy? Do they just beat competitors by 1 cent, or do they also offer some 10 percent additional discount (I thought some people mentioned that)? Is the policy in print anywhere online? There's a lot I want to get tomorrow, so I wanted to potimize savings, and make sure I know what there policy is when I go to the store...thanks!
Old 10-04-04, 09:06 AM
bga

BB and Circuit City both do a 110% price match, that is, the competitor's price minus 10% of the difference. I've found that CC will PM at the register, but at BB you have to buy at full price at the register and go to the service counter to get the PM. Some BB's will call the competitor and make sure it's in stock, too.
Old 10-04-04, 09:06 AM

in my experience they only meet the competitors price. your experiences at best buy seem to vary a lot depending on which cashier or manager you get, but for me you must have physical proof of the price you are price matching. (i.e. an Ad, or picture of the product in another store with a lower price). Some people have said that their stores would call another store to get the price, but mine will not.
Old 10-04-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For Best Buy, you're supposed to buy the item first. Then later when you find the price cheaper, take it to the customer service desk with the ad, and they'lll beat that price and refund you 10% of the difference (e.g. if you bought the item for $9.99 and Circuit City had it for $8.99, they'd refund you $1.10 + Tax).

If you just do a straight PM at the registers, they'll just PM the price to $8.99. Sometimes you can convince the cashier to give you the extra 10 cents but that's pretty rare.
Old 10-04-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah about a year ago now I brought in a Target Ad for the 2nd James Bond set for $69.99, I ended up paying $67 after tax for it but I spent 1/2 an hour arguing with the manager over getting the 10% difference off of it. I find it extremely stupid, that you have to wait in the checkout line, pay for it and then goto the customer service desk with the ad in hand to get the difference.
Old 10-04-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just take the ad to the checkout at BB and they do the PM at the register there...
Old 10-04-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At my bestbuy, they will only pricematch at customer service and you MUST have the original ad with you. And with my past experiences, they always call the store.
Old 10-04-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We have a few Best Buys in my area, and they handle PMs differently. One at the register, another at the Customer Service Line.

None have called the store unless I did not have the ad and asked them to, one seems to KNOW the competitors price and I only have to mention I saw it at Fry's and they say "okay...$X.XX" and the only time I have received the extra 10% was when I bought it outright then came back a couple days later when I saw a lower price.

I shop there exclusively for the reward points, and use the PM policy almost every week. As always, YMMV.
Old 10-04-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had their associates write me up price matches in the dvd aisles, then i just take the slip to the register. This happened once when i asked for a PM, and once again when i noticed that THX-1138 was priced wrong on the shelf a couple wks ago. In the past i've had both experiences: i've been able to just shoot them a price, and at times i've had to produce the actual ad.

Also, when my parents were shopping for binoculars, the salesman said if they'd buy two sets, he'd write up a $5.00 off PM for them.

I honestly think that they can all do what they want, and when they want to. It appears that every store has different policies, and even then, it depends on who you get to wait on you.....that's Best Buy for ya'!