Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need to be able to record DVDs REGION FREE [merged]

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I need to be able to record DVDs REGION FREE [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 04:52 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My, do I need your help or what?

Okay, it's time to start recording our old home video VHS tapes on to DVDs so they will last. My problem is also that I need to be able to record REGION FREE because my family lives in Eastern Europe and I in the USA. I also need a recorder that is able to make DVDs (again...region free) from our new digital mini-cam.

I need something reliable, of high quality, and not too terribly expensive. I am a technophobe so it also needs to be easy to operate and easy to hook-up. Any suggestions?

Please help!!!
Old 09-30-04, 04:52 PM

Help me if you can???

Okay, it's time to start recording our old home video VHS tapes on to DVDs so they will last. My problem is also that I need to be able to record REGION FREE because my family lives in Eastern Europe and I in the USA. I also need a recorder that is able to make DVDs (again...region free) from our new digital mini-cam.

I need something reliable, of high quality, and not too terribly expensive. I am a technophobe so it also needs to be easy to operate and easy to hook-up. Any suggestions?

Please help!!!
Old 09-30-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought that all DVD recorders (stand alone) recorded region free.

My Panasonic E80H does for sure.

Sonic
Old 09-30-04, 06:14 PM

All dvd recorders that I've seen (either in a computer or a stand alone recorder) make region free DVDs.

Do you want a stand alone dvd recorder (like a vcr) or do you want a dvd burner you put into a computer?

/Benjamin
Old 09-30-04, 08:16 PM

That shows how little I know about these things...LOL !!! Is your type of machine something that would be very good for what I may need?
Old 09-30-04, 08:18 PM

Your big worry isn't region free, it's that you're NTSC and they are PAL. If you want to keep cost down then you're going to have to go to the PC side instead of the set-top side of things. The dvd burner itself doesn't care about the NTSC or PAL. That's gonna be on the software (encoding) side of things. You'll need a burner, a breakout box (an A/V input device which connects to your PC via either FireWire or USB 2.0), and a good piece of encoding software. And then your gonna have to do everything twice (One tape you make into an NTSC dvd for yourself, same tape again you make into a PAL dvd for them.) Haven't read any reviews for any of the stuff in a while though. This is where someone else should chime in.
Old 09-30-04, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by btbrossard
All dvd recorders that I've seen (either in a computer or a stand alone recorder) make region free DVDs.

Do you want a stand alone dvd recorder (like a vcr) or do you want a dvd burner you put into a computer?

/Benjamin
Definitely stand alone!!!
Old 09-30-04, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Kimiakane
Definitely stand alone!!!
In that case I think you may be SOL on the PAL conversion. Post your question here: AVS DVD Recorder Forum The folks there would know for sure if they're are any stand alone's that can do the conversion. Good luck.
Old 09-30-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Region coding won't be a problem, but you might have to contend with differences in video standards. The U.S. uses NTSC, while most of Europe uses PAL. Your family will need a player that can convert NTSC to PAL, or a TV that can display NTSC.

I'm not sure of the technical requirements, so maybe someone else can help fill in the details.

You might get more help if you e-mail a moderator and ask him to change your thread title to something more descriptive that will attract the attention of someone who has dealt with such issues.