Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you looking forward to the Incredibles? / One and only (Merged)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Are you looking forward to the Incredibles? / One and only (Merged)

Old 06-01-03, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Incredibles! Pixar takes on People!

The trailer for the Incredibles was hilarious! And Pixar has an astounding track record. could they be flirting with disaster with their next movie?

I hope not. But while the Incredibles are very "cartoony" looking, I often wonder if staying away from the human world has been a big benefit to Pixar. If creating the world that goes unseen by humans has been one very big aspect of Pixars success.

Pixar is obviously not trying to go for realism with this movie. And I am sure Story will remain the largest focus for them. But if ever there was a movie company that was due an error, it would be Pixar. And if ever there was a project they might take a misstep on, I imagine it might be this one.

I for one, hope this is not true. But for how long can they bat a 1000?

Hopefully forever, but even i know it isnt possible.

What is your take on this? How long do you think Pixar can keep this great track record going?
Old 06-01-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard somewhere, maybe on this board, that someone at Pixar said they could easily make realistic-looking humans, but they choose to keep them cartooney.
Old 06-01-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Brad Bird (Iron Giant) is directing this... certainly don't think the Incredibles will be PIXAR's misstep... batting average to date=1000....batting average as of November 6, 2004=1000.

MATT
Old 06-01-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000
I heard somewhere, maybe on this board, that someone at Pixar said they could easily make realistic-looking humans, but they choose to keep them cartooney.
Well, I know PDI/Dreamworks made this decision on Shrek. I'm sure has similar capabilities. The human in Toy Story 2 was leaps ahead of the first one.
Old 06-01-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pixar staff members have stated in past interviews that they're not going for photo-realism. They attempt to create what best serves the world they're trying to create. Which is why the ants in A Bug's Life are pastel-colored, for instance.

And just to back up my post, here's a portion of a recent interview with "Nemo" director Andrew Stanton and co-director Lee Unkrich:

You bring up an interesting point: We’ve finally come to the point where you can pull back. There are some people in this field whose ultimate goal seems to be photorealism — but then that brings up the question: “Why bother?” If you can have a team of highly educated technicians rendering a rock, why not just go shoot a rock?

Stanton: Well, that’s been our point all along. The last thing we’re trying to do is mimic reality exactly. Because we don’t get the point.

Unkrich: That’s my feeling exactly. And that’s part of why we’ve never, at Pixar, tried to create realistic humans. It’s far easier and far less expensive to shoot a real actor than to try and re-create a digital actor. The only exception to that — and this doesn’t really apply to what we do in our world — is the case of digital stuntmen.

Stanton: In a way, “Nemo”’s the closest we’ve ever come to the real world — and even that is actually very caricatured.

Unkrich: At Pixar, we want to create a believable world, but it’s not necessarily a realistic world. It’s essential to have a believable world in order for audiences to connect on a much higher level with the story and characters.

Last edited by LBPound; 06-01-03 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 11:22 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else notice the music in the Incredibles trailer? It was the theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Old 06-02-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pixar's choice is wise. I could name a CG movie that went for a photorealistic look and had an empty, boring story and uninteresting characters; and what happened to it? Well Finding Nemo just doubled that film's entire take in it's first weekend.
Old 06-02-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Pixar's choice is wise. I could name a CG movie that went for a photorealistic look and had an empty, boring story and uninteresting characters; and what happened to it? Well Finding Nemo just doubled that film's entire take in it's first weekend.
Well, you hit it on the head there. What if Final Fantasy DID have a good story with interesting characters? It would have been fantastic. If you've seen the Animatrix short Final Flight Of The Osiris, you can see the potential for photo-realistic filmmaking. That 8 minute short was better than the entirety of Final Fantasy and left me longing for more.
Old 06-02-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by Jim
Did anyone else notice the music in the Incredibles trailer? It was the theme from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
Yes. When I heard that, I was immediately transported to a snow-covered slope with George Lazenby escaping on only one ski.
Old 06-02-03, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jim
I noticed too. But it wasn't the music EXACTLY. Notes were changed slightly, probably to avoid any legal problem.
Old 06-02-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Any links to the trailer?
Old 06-03-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
Well, you hit it on the head there. What if Final Fantasy DID have a good story with interesting characters? It would have been fantastic.
I didn't think the story for Final Fantasy was THAT bad, but still nowhere approaching the depth anything Pixar does. I think Pixar does well in touching simple and raw human emotions. If anything, Final Fantasy tried to do TOO MUCH. Pixar appeals to mass audiences whereas Final Fantasy made a story which was too "anime-like" and I think a lot of people didn't really get it (I think the Gaia concept really went over a lot of people's heads).

With said, I'll probably try anything Pixar and I look forward to an "all-human" cast.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 06-03-03 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-03-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep. Noticed the 007 OHMSS theme too. Thought it strange that it would appear in a Pixar trailer.
Old 06-03-03, 09:05 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja
Any links to the trailer?
It's up over at Apple...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/the_incredibles/
Old 06-03-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Warner Bros. will rue the day this comes out and makes oodles of cash, for mistreating Brad Bird's previous film The Iron Giant. This teaser is great. It strikes me as a more lighthearted version of "Watchmen." Can't wait.
Old 06-04-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It doesn't seem to be there anymore

Originally posted by Goldberg74
It's up over at Apple...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/the_incredibles/
Old 06-04-03, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's up at Pixar's site now.

http://www.pixar.com/theater/trailer...les/index.html
Old 06-04-03, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
It seems hilarious, can't wait for this one
Old 06-04-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
It's great having that trailer in quicktime format, since you can freeze on all those headlines on the wall. Some of the more interesting ones:

"Golden Age of Superheros - Men and Women Take to the Skies"

"Mr. Incredible Retires"
Old 06-04-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jepthah
Warner Bros. will rue the day this comes out and makes oodles of cash, for mistreating Brad Bird's previous film The Iron Giant.
Old 06-04-03, 08:35 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Do you think Paul Dini has anything to do with this film?

Old 06-04-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a direct link to the largest size trailer, in case you'd like to save it:

http://a1712.g.akamai.net/5/1712/51/...ibles_p480.mov
Old 06-04-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks good. Can't wait.
Old 06-04-03, 10:32 AM

Argh!!
I still can't download it. When I click on any of the links at Pixars site I get a popup box that says the information the Plugin requested didn't download sucessfully, and when I try to save the direct link, I get a message saying IE couldnt open that internet site.

Help?

Old 06-04-03, 12:20 PM

Is this Pixars last Disney movie? (if they don't re-sign...which I don't think they will do)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.