Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Trilogy DVD --- is a sub-forum in DVD Talk possible?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 09-13-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are about 10-12 active threads on this it seems at all times. I've seen about 3 new ones today.

I think a good preemptive move would be to create a sub-forum now. When its released, there'll be threads started daily on A New Hope, then on Empire Strikes Back, then on Return of the Jedi, then on the bonus disk. There will be sub threads for all of these movies. Some threads will discuss the changes, some the movie, etc. All will be threadcrapped to hell (I'll be guilty of it myself).

To prevent general threadcrappers and complainers from whining about the amount of Star Wars thread, I think this would be a good idea.

It is one of the most anticipated (if not THE most) DVDs of all time; yet it's 3 DVDs at once so naturally there is 3 times the excitement and information to discuss.

If there is a more "formal" way for me to propose this, please let me know.
Old 09-13-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good to me.
Old 09-13-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I concur. This is STAR WARS on DVD.
Old 09-13-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

a subform with threads all locked.....that's what it will look like. I would say close to 90% of all Star Wars threads end up closed.
Old 09-13-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully this would prevent that. In my opinion, threads should be locked when there are personal attacks and/or threadcrapping (which I have been guilty of in the past).

The point of a sub-forum is to discourage bashers and crappers from entering, thereby making locking unnecessary.

100% of all Star Wars threads have been in either Movie Talk or DVD Talk, where lots of anti-Star Wars people hang out. We have yet to see what percentage would be locked if the DVDs are given their own, albeit temporary, space.
Old 09-13-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Thread crappers and bashers will still run wild in there discussing how their childhood was raped and they are walking funny. It will just make it easier for them to find the threads.
Old 09-13-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And easier for those who don't have to wade through all the Star Wars threads on the general page.
Old 09-13-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Please do this. I don't want to wade through 38 threads like "Is the wookie hairier in the SE than in the originals" and "What was the first thing you ate after watching your new Star Wars DVDs?"
Old 09-13-04, 04:56 PM

c'mon you don't like threads such as "how will you watch star wars on DVD?"

What I think should happen is that a thread needs to be open for the people who love star wars blindly and star wars haters threads for those who feel "raped". This would split up the groups so each can talk about star wars in there own fashion.

I created a favorite actor/actress bashing thread which was structured in in a way where you and pin point where the hate started and vent about it. I thought it was a succuss, wasn't closed...and looking back, it was really funny.

Having these threads could reduce the clash with the fanboys with the "Lucas raped boys"

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 09-13-04 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the "How will you watch star wars on dvd" is one of the dumbest threads around. Do we really need to know or even care about what the actions of each other will be around the event of watching a god damn dvd? ugh.

GET ME COFFEE, That thread already had been tried with the haters only thread and the Lovers only thread. It didn't work because it's a discussion board, not a circle jerk.
Old 09-14-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I appreciate everyone's input, but am surprised a moderator hasn't responded to my request one way or the other.
Old 09-14-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
The dark side is strong in these moderators.
Old 09-14-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You sure they're not suffering from a low midiclorian count..?
Old 09-14-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
moderator$ raped the $ubforum
Old 09-14-04, 04:42 PM

They sure work fast with locking threads and suspending.
Old 09-14-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're probably discussing it over with Geoff. It's different with locking threads and suspending. This isn't really something that's time-critical. We still have a week. When they learn about a problematic thread or member, it's probably almost always past the point of "redemption" so they have to act quickly.

Last edited by Kal-El; 09-14-04 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 05:10 PM

I have my eye on you Kal-EL

Old 09-14-04, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
The dark side is strong in these moderators.
Shouldn't that be....

"Strong in these moderators, the dark side is"

Old 09-14-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to thread locks. Locks lead to... banning.
Old 09-14-04, 10:46 PM

give it to those scruffy-looking nerf-herders
Old 09-15-04, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can I just restate that making threads for haters and threads for lovers only is a terrible idea. the whole point is that it's a discussion and not a circle jerk. Folks just need to learn how to express their anger differently then "Luca$ rap3d my childhood"
Old 09-15-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And can I further restate that your reason is not the sole reason for creating a sub-forum (not a thread). The chief reason for doing so is that I believe the DVD Talk forum will be overrun with Star Wars threads in the coming days. A secondary reason is to deter threadcrappers.

I'm not familiar with the distinction of a thread as a circle jerk - but I do know that many times when people think they are having a "discussion" is leads to a locked thread. Which then inevitably leads to a re-opening of that thread.

Will a sub-forum stop this? No - but as I said, it may deter it. Again, that's not the chief reason. The main reason is benefit all the people who don't care about Star Wars but aren't bored enough to click on the threads. They won't be overwhelmed by the number of hypothetical threads if they're invisible.
Old 09-15-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I vote for a sub forum.
Old 09-15-04, 10:57 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Toad
And can I further restate that your reason is not the sole reason for creating a sub-forum (not a thread). The chief reason for doing so is that I believe the DVD Talk forum will be overrun with Star Wars threads in the coming days. A secondary reason is to deter threadcrappers.
Exactly.

Threadcrappers need to be immediately suspended if they thread crap in that subforum, the mods should post a thread stating so as soon as the forum goes up.

There can be debate threads in there, where haters can say what they don't like about the movies, and others can defend them, etc.

Just suspend anyone that takes bashing outside of these threads into more general threads not actively debating the quality of the movie (which is the very definition of a thread crap).
Old 09-15-04, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Exactly.

Threadcrappers need to be immediately suspended if they thread crap in that subforum, the mods should post a thread stating so as soon as the forum goes up.

There can be debate threads in there, where haters can say what they don't like about the movies, and others can defend them, etc.

Just suspend anyone that takes bashing outside of these threads into more general threads not actively debating the quality of the movie (which is the very definition of a thread crap).
Wow that would make dvdtalk such a great place

You guys just need to ignore the damn threadcrapper! You only make it worst when you engage in pointless debate with the troll. The threadcrapper leaves the shit, but you step in it and drag it through the thread.

You just need to act like the post isn’t even there. Can you do that?

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 09-15-04 at 11:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.