Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVDs Causing TV to "Buzz"

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-30-04, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently hooked up at Sony DVD player to my 10+ years old, 25" GE T.V. This TV is in our bedroom and it's not our primary place to watch DVDs. The few times we've used the player, there's an audio "BUZZ" whenever there is a bright scene. I tried lowering the brightness on the set, which only had a minimal effect.
My question is, would using the S-video out/input help? The T.V. does has an S-video input. I don't have a spare cable, but would gladly get one if I thought it would help.
Thanks.
Old 08-30-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it could be because the existing cable is bad or has poor shielding.. i would replace the audio and deffiantely add an s-video cable..
Old 08-30-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does the "buzz" go away when you disconnect either the video or audio cables? Try unplugging one while the other is still plugged in & see which cable is the culprit. Also check your outlet that the TV is connected to. Are there other things plugged into the same outlet? It's all a process of elimination, so try the above.

I'd also use an s-video cable since you have that input available on your TV. Having a better picture is never a bad thing!

Sonic
Old 09-11-04, 05:13 PM

lots of freezing and rolling up and down

Sorry to barge in but I couldnt figure out how to post a new thread.I have an Apex AD 1110W (standalone) and with some DVDs it plays fine and then some freeze up and others roll up and down like the tracking is off or something. I bought a brand new DVD movie and it rolls up and down and moves sidways also. Can anyone help me out?
Old 09-12-04, 09:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: DVDs Causing TV to "Buzz"

Originally posted by GeneralZod
The few times we've used the player, there's an audio "BUZZ" whenever there is a bright scene. I tried lowering the brightness on the set, which only had a minimal effect.
My question is, would using the S-video out/input help?
Don't take this personally, your TV has a weak power supply. Might be the age, or it might be the design. Old TVs used to do this all the time, especially with Chroma Key graphics- you know, the text-only "Call 1-800-GET-BENT" kind of graphics.

Vivid colors will do the same. S-video can't hurt- you should be using it anyway but it likely won't help.

You're overloading the power supply- what you're hearing is EM noise thrown off by a transformer...getting passed into the speaker.

A seperate stereo would probably be the best place to start.

Last edited by PrivateJoker; 09-12-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-12-04, 09:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: lots of freezing and rolling up and down

Originally posted by melinda9723
Sorry to barge in but I couldnt figure out how to post a new thread.
Welcome aboard. You'll have better luck clicking on this and starting a new thread.
Old 09-12-04, 04:00 PM

Groans, I had this problem over a year back when my TV went out...had to use (temporarily) an itty bitty walmart tv with a vcr in it that was cheap as hell, as well as a playstation 2 hookup for the dvds. Talk about a bad mixture there. Most dvds would cause that huge, horrible BUZZZZZ and you couldn't watch them on it. Never figured out the problem, but I never really looked hard into it either. Thankfully the temporary situation was VERY temporary.