Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Wonder Years on DVD ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder Years on DVD anytime soon?

Why isn't this amazing show on DVD? Has it something to do with music rights or someting like that?

I know there's a couple of Wonder Years DVD's, but I wan't season 1 to come out asap. Anyone agree, disagree?

Last edited by Bookhouseboy; 08-06-04 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, please use a question mark in the thread title when asking a question. Lots of people click on threads without them expecting to find new information.

And yes, music rights are the thing holding up this series. It has a ton of music in each episode, making a DVD release very difficult.
Old 08-06-04, 11:46 AM

I know. I totally thought someone had news about Wonder Years on DVD. Blasted music rights.
Old 08-06-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It also sucks that they don't re-run the show anymore. But yeah, it's the music rights thing. And even if it did come out, it will be expensive as balls because of those rights. Either way, I'd buy it in a second.
Old 08-06-04, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Hi, welcome to the forum, please use a question mark in the thread title when asking a question. Lots of people click on threads without them expecting to find new information.

And yes, music rights are the thing holding up this series. It has a ton of music in each episode, making a DVD release very difficult.
Thanks, and I'm sorry about that. I'll remember that next time.

Music rights seems to be the main problem when releasing a TV show. "Freaks and Geeks" used a lot of popular music, and it almost killed the dream of getting the show on DVD.

I really hope that "Wonder Years" will get a DVD release in the near future.

Go to this address and sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/wyodvd/petition.html
Old 08-06-04, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by dick_grayson
It also sucks that they don't re-run the show anymore.
I know! I had my TIVO set to record the two showings a day that were shown on the Family Channel for a while, and then "POOF!", it was gone.

Life goes on, I guess. Why isn't this show on Nick at Nite?
Old 08-06-04, 06:01 PM

It used to be on Nick at Nite, that's where I first saw it back when I was about 8. Great show, it was one my whole family liked to watch.

Anyone else noticed that Nick at Nite tends to run great classic shows for a few years and then suddenly stops showing them? Right now they're running Rosanne or some BS all the time
Old 08-06-04, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Entertainment Weekly reported this week that acquiring the music rights (for all of the original, broadcast songs) for the single season DVD release of "Freaks and Geeks" cost a million bucks. Can you IMAGINE how much six seasons of "Wonder Years" (with SO many classic songs...) would cost???
Old 08-06-04, 09:14 PM

Well, that's a lot of money for sure, but can't they just replace the original music with some decent and cheaper music?

I know it's not the ideal thing to do, but I can't remember all of the original music, and I rather see a DVD release with difference music then nothing at all.
Old 08-06-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Quantum Leap, thus far, hasn't seem to have any issues and, for the hour of each show, they have used a lot of classic tunes too. Hummm.....
Old 08-06-04, 11:13 PM

Wonder Years was a half hour show.Freaks and Geeks was an hour.So not as many songs per episode I think.Wonder Years season 1 only had 6 episodes and season 2 only 17 episodes.So they can make a reasonable deal on the 1st season.This show will be such a big money maker that they will make money if they spend the money to get the original music.
Old 08-07-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the other thing. I have been watching Knight Rider for the past week, and completely forgot how much period music there was in this show, yet they had no problems releasing this classic, with all music intact, and a standard price ($38.99 at DDD).

Of course, it doesn't have as much as Miami Vice (which as we all know, will be coming out shortly(but about as much as Wonder Years on a per episode basis). Maybe it is an music era difference, but I think it is more about studios taking their sweet time.
Old 08-07-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I would hate if they changed the music like they did with the Dawson's Creek DVDs.
Old 08-07-04, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by outcastja
I would hate if they changed the music like they did with the Dawson's Creek DVDs.
You shouldn't be watching "Dawson's Creek" in the first place, my friend!
Old 08-07-04, 03:45 PM

Knight Rider used popular songs but they were not the original artists songs,they were covers of people they hired performing them so that they didn't have to pay for the original tracks.