Played any good boardgames lately?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-04-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought i would start up my monthly boardgaming thread here again

Recently i traded for Frag, which while overpriced is pretty fun game that is essentially a FPS shooter boardgame.

UPS should also be bringing me my copy of Duel of Ages: Worldspanner tomorrow which i'm extremely excited to finally get to play. While reviews have called it a bit of a dicefest i'm still pretty jazzed on the theme and the fact that 2-16 players can play it.

So, has anyone else play any good boardgames lately?
Old 08-04-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess there's a world of boardgames that I'm oblivious to. I was thinking 'Cranium'.
Old 08-04-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gromit
I guess there's a world of boardgames that I'm oblivious to. I was thinking 'Cranium'.
Cranium is phenomenal. I recently discovered it and my friends and I play it at least once a week.

On a less "board" but still "game" note...Lightning Reaction is great fun as well. 4-players each hold a remote, a button on the base station is pushed, lights up red and plays "danger sounds". When the light turns green everyone pushes the button on their remote. The last person to buzz is gets shocked 3 times. Its a blast.
Old 08-05-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Our power went out during a storm yesterday and my girl and I got out Monopoly for the first time in ages. Fun, but dull after 2 hours. I offered her free rent on a hotel space if we could quit!
Old 08-05-04, 05:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time some friends and I got together and played we tried:

Powergrid http://www.funagaingames.com/cgi-bin/funagain/14709 which turned out to be kind of fun.

If you liked Frag and you like horror settings try When Darkness Comes http://www.funagain.com/cgi-bin/funagain/13654 It's part boardgame part RPG.

Another one we've tried recently is Warcraft http://www.funagain.com/cgi-bin/funagain/14494 which is surprisingly fun for a "crossover" game.

Right now the one I'm looking forward to trying the most is Pirates of the Spanish Main http://www.wizkidsgames.com/pirates/ although it's not really a board game.
Old 08-05-04, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I still had my Hero Quest and expansions.
Old 08-05-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nemein
Last time some friends and I got together and played we tried:

Powergrid http://www.funagaingames.com/cgi-bin/funagain/14709 which turned out to be kind of fun.

If you liked Frag and you like horror settings try When Darkness Comes http://www.funagain.com/cgi-bin/funagain/13654 It's part boardgame part RPG.

Another one we've tried recently is Warcraft http://www.funagain.com/cgi-bin/funagain/14494 which is surprisingly fun for a "crossover" game.

Right now the one I'm looking forward to trying the most is Pirates of the Spanish Main http://www.wizkidsgames.com/pirates/ although it's not really a board game.
Powergrid does look like a lot of fun and has been recommended to me before so it is one i will eventually try out. When Darkness Comes also looks good but it is 3 players minimum and too often it is just my wife and i playing - that is why i haven't picked up Settlers of Catan or Puerto Rico yet. I do like Twilight Creations though, especially their Zombies!!! line of games.

Warcraft i have yet to physically see anywhere or talk to anyone who has played it so i know very little about it.

As for Pirates..... i've been trying to avoid all the wizkids collectible games as much as possible.... granted it will probably get more difficult for me to avoid when they star wars mini game comes out but after the money sink that was Magic i really avoid collectible games.

And Pixy, I ended up finding a complete copy of Heroquest at a yard sale for 2$! Never have found any expansions yet though.

Finally, if you like collectible style card games but don't like the collection aspect, i would recommend Reiner Knizia's Blue Moon game. Tons of fun and plays like a collectible game but doesn't have the money sink of buying all these booster packs.

Also, in case anyone cares my game collection is listed on boardgamegeek - my username there is miyu.
Old 08-05-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh nemeine, i noticed you posted a link to funagain. com - if you order many games online i would recommend checking out www.fairplaygames.com because they beat funagains prices on each of the games i was looking for including shipping. They are a family run business out of Michigan or Wisconsin and when i placed my first order the owner actually emailed me several times chatting about games and their site.
Old 08-05-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I was never into board games. Besides, I have no friends to play with.
Old 08-05-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ticket to Ride
Puerto Rico
Settlers of Catan
Carcassone

Lot of good boardgames out there. Lately I find them more fun than computer games.
Old 08-05-04, 10:19 AM

Connect Four Rocks!
Old 08-05-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I wish I still had my Hero Quest and expansions.
I feel the same way. I sold mine game and expansion to help pay for books when I was in school.
Old 08-05-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Culdcept?
Old 08-05-04, 12:12 PM

Space Hulk has always been one of my favorites. Not exactly a board game, since you constructed the board from interlocking pieces, but close enough. Talisman (2nd edition) is another one of my favorites. Both can be time consuming, but fun.

Also, for non collectible card games, any of the Munchkin/Munchkin-fu/Star Munchkin games can be pretty fun as well as Killer Bunnies, although these games seem to play better with at least 3 players . .

Last edited by burninator; 08-05-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by xmiyux
And Pixy, I ended up finding a complete copy of Heroquest at a yard sale for 2$! Never have found any expansions yet though.
Aha.. well if you ever want to get rid of it.. I know somebody interested.
Old 08-05-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Duran
Ticket to Ride
Puerto Rico
Settlers of Catan
Carcassone

Lot of good boardgames out there. Lately I find them more fun than computer games.
Carcassonne is an incridbly fun game that even non-gamers enjoy - my wife in particular likes it a lot. Didn't Ticket To Ride just win a game of the year award? The other two games i also want to play but never have 3 players to really get a game going.
Old 08-05-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by burninator
Space Hulk has always been one of my favorites. Not exactly a board game, since you constructed the board from interlocking pieces, but close enough. Talisman (2nd edition) is another one of my favorites. Both can be time consuming, but fun.

Also, for non collectible card games, any of the Munchkin/Munchkin-fu/Star Munchkin games can be pretty fun as well as Killer Bunnies, although these games seem to play better with at least 3 players . .
Talisman is another one that was recommended to me and several people have said they preferred the 2nd edition to the newer third. The munchkin line of games i found to be fun for a game or two at max and then the humor kind of lost its lustre. Chez Geek on the other hand continues to be hilarious to me... If only Steve Jackson Games weren't so out-of-line when it comes to pricing.

Giantrobo, i am with you on the not having people to game with. The only person i have is my wife and she isn't much of a hardcore gamer. I really wish i could find a gaming group in my area but the nearest one is like 1.5 hours away. This i think is why i also play video games and have xbox live.... need to find opponents.
Old 08-05-04, 12:51 PM

Talisman is another one that was recommended to me and several people have said they preferred the 2nd edition to the newer third. The munchkin line of games i found to be fun for a game or two at max and then the humor kind of lost its lustre. Chez Geek on the other hand continues to be hilarious to me... If only Steve Jackson Games weren't so out-of-line when it comes to pricing.
With the third edition of Talisman, they changed the rules around a bit and it just seemed to me that it became watered down some. There were some issues with the rules in teh second edition, especially when you started adding the expansions, but it was nothing you couldn't solve with some house rules up front.

If you played the Munchkin games with less than 3 people, then I agree that the game wouldn't really do it. To me, the appeal of the games is the 'do your best to screw your opponents' factor, which to me works better with more than 2 people, since you can go back and forth, teaming up against whoever is winning, then team up with the other person(s) to exact your revenge after getting beat down.
Old 08-05-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Carcassonne is an incridbly fun game that even non-gamers enjoy - my wife in particular likes it a lot. Didn't Ticket To Ride just win a game of the year award? The other two games i also want to play but never have 3 players to really get a game going.
Yep, Ticket To Ride won game of the year. Very simple, yet fun to play.

If you're looking for opponents for Puerto Rico or Settlers (two of the best games ever made, IMO), try http://www.brettspielwelt.de. It's a German site that lets you play a good number of boardgames online for free. You can get more information on it by going to http://www.brettspielwelt.info.
Old 08-05-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgot to add - another game I've been enjoying lately is Attika. Fun, and good for two players.
Old 08-05-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Risk, baby... Risk.
Old 08-05-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Duran
Yep, Ticket To Ride won game of the year. Very simple, yet fun to play.

If you're looking for opponents for Puerto Rico or Settlers (two of the best games ever made, IMO), try http://www.brettspielwelt.de. It's a German site that lets you play a good number of boardgames online for free. You can get more information on it by going to http://www.brettspielwelt.info.
I've looked around the site before and ran into 2 problems. First off i have never played settlers so i would need to find all the rules online as well and secondly the site is so ridiculously complicated and cumbersome to figure out. I assume it is because most of it is in german but i couldn't puzzle any of it out.

I have played cosmic encounters online at www.cosmicencounter.com but just with the free account that lets you be 6 races. also for single player you can play Hive online which is a pretty fun chess like game.
Old 08-05-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Risk, baby... Risk.
They just came out with a new Risk called Godstorm that i would love to play. The pieces for it look beautiful.
Old 08-05-04, 05:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Awful Green Things From Outer Space
Old 08-05-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow... talk about a blast from the past! i used to love talisman and had all the expansion packs.

that could be a pretty easy port to xbox live.

--
i just called my brother and he says all the games are in storage! man, next time i visit him, i'm grabbing them all.

Last edited by young; 08-05-04 at 06:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.