Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queensryche tour info - Mindcrime in it's entirety

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-02-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. August 02, 2004, 4:00 PM ET

Queensryche Brings 'Mindcrime' Back To Life

Sixteen years after the release of "Operation: Mindcrime," Queensryche is writing the next chapter to the 1988 concept album that broke the progressive rock band into the mainstream. Tentatively titled "Operation: Mindcrime II," the set is due next year via Sanctuary.

To prime audiences for the event, Queensryche will perform the original "Mindcrime" in its entirety on its upcoming tour, which kicks off Oct. 5 in Seattle and will be presented by VH1 Classic. The finale will be a live preview of material from "Mindcrime II."

Cinematic videos that were shot for "Mindcrime" singles such as "Eyes of a Stranger" and "I Don't Believe in Love" sparked fan demand for a movie to be made of the album. The clips were utilized when Queensryche performed the album in its entirety on a 1990-91 world tour.

On this tour, the album will be recreated in full with enhanced production, including new and expanded video footage. Onstage and off, live actors will help tell the story of Nikki, a street junkie turned into an assassin by an anarchist movement.

Vocalist Pamela Moore, who toured with Queensryche recently, will again provide the vocals of Sister Mary, a tragic nun with a haunting past of her own. Moore provided this character's vocals on the first "Mindcrime" album.

The show will open with a "greatest hits" set and will feature accompaniment from local orchestra string sections in select cities. Michael Igor Delassandra, formerly an official composer for the Vatican, will accompany Queensryche on keyboards.

"The band is so excited to be performing 'Operation: Mindcrime' in its entirety again after not having done this in 15 years," lead vocalist Geoff Tate says. "We are presenting it in a whole new way that finally does justice the intricacies of the story and the personalities of the characters."

Following the fall tour, another run of dates is scheduled to begin in January 2005.

Here are Queensryche's tour dates:

Oct. 5-6: Seattle (Moore Theater)
Oct. 7: Vancouver (Commodore)
Oct. 8: Portland, Ore. (Schnitzer)
Oct. 9: Spokane, Wash. (Big Easy)
Oct. 10: Boise, Idaho (Big Easy)
Oct. 12: Denver (Fillmore)
Oct. 13: Albuquerque, N.M. (Kiva Auditorium)
Oct. 15: Dallas (Nokia Live)
Oct. 16: San Antonio, Texas (Sunset Station)
Oct. 17: Austin, Texas (La Zona Rosa)
Oct. 18: Houston (Verizon Theater)
Oct. 19: New Orleans (House of Blues)
Oct. 21: Jacksonville, Fla. (Florida Theater)
Oct. 22: Pompano Beach, Fla. (Pompano Beach Amphitheater)
Oct. 23: Orlando, Fla. (House of Blues)
Oct. 24: Clearwater, Fla. (Ruth Eckerd Hall)
Oct. 26: Tallahassee, Fla. (The Moon)
Oct. 27: Atlanta (Tabernacle)
Oct. 29: Myrtle Beach, S.C. (House of Blues)
Old 08-02-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I hope Mindcrime II doesn't suck as much as I'm expecting it to.
Old 08-02-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mordred
Man, I hope Mindcrime II doesn't suck as much as I'm expecting it to.
If they continue in the pathetic direction they have gone recently, it surely will.
Old 08-02-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
If they continue in the pathetic direction they have gone recently, it surely will.
I agree, but i would like to see them do Mindcrime live...i have the Livecrime cd and love it, but doesnt look like they're coming around here.
I dont expect Mindcrime II to be worth it.
Old 08-02-04, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Mindcrime Live the first time around, but no Philly dates for this time

I'm a diehard Queensryche fan but I do agree their newer stuff is pretty weak compared to the older stuff. But I also think Tribe was a step in the right direction so maybe they'll finally get back to the good stuff with the sequel.
Old 08-03-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
The prospect of Queensryche doing "Mindcrime II" is frightening.

I saw them perform the whole thing live back in 1991. Suicidal Tendencies was the opening act. Awesome show, I caught a drumstick.
Old 08-03-04, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I saw them perform the whole thing live back in 1991. Suicidal Tendencies was the opening act. Awesome show, I caught a drumstick.
I remember seeing them on that tour, but forgot who opened. It was very good. I would love that album to be released on DVD-A.
Old 08-03-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Queensryche going back to the old style:

Mindcrime II:

But since they have screwed the fans for almost a decade of mediocre albums, are they just pandering to them to generate album sales?
Old 08-03-04, 08:13 AM
Banned Scot1458

This is such bull****. After that horrible cd called Tribe and those two mediocre discs called HITNF and Y2K, they suddenly think they can do Mindcrime II?

They can't! That's my .02. Whatever magic they had dried up after Promiseland. This is going to be an insult to their past cataloge.

Time to go put on Rage for Order.
Old 08-03-04, 08:50 AM

The only way for Mindcrime II to be any good would be for DeGarmo to write every song on the album. Wilton is a fair writer on his own but nothing compares to the collaboration of DeGarmo and Wilton together.
Old 08-03-04, 11:28 AM
Banned Scot1458

Originally posted by corbin dallas
The only way for Mindcrime II to be any good would be for DeGarmo to write every song on the album. Wilton is a fair writer on his own but nothing compares to the collaboration of DeGarmo and Wilton together.
I disagree. Check out Chris's work on Tribe and he stunk up the joint on HITNF. Then there is Bridge from Promiseland.

I think the well dried up too. Sucks, cause they were at the top from 86-92.
Old 08-04-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I might catch this, simply because I missed Livecrime the last go around....and then I could consider Mindcrime 2 to be a free preview.

Even if the well dried up, I don't think they can botch the classic stuff. I could be wrong though. I hope not.
Old 08-04-04, 10:33 AM
Suspended

No matter how bad their recent albums have been, they've always been awesome in concert. I saw em a couple years ago in the halford/quensrych/iron maiden tour and it was prolly the best show I've ever seen. All they played was older, heavy stuff, except for 1 song from Q2K and they made it heavier. Maybe it was cuz they knew that peticualr audience was there for heavier stuff? Either way it was still an awesome show. So if you get the chance to see Livecrime this time around, I suggest you go
Old 08-05-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, they kick ass live.
Old 08-05-04, 11:17 AM

I was reading the full "official" release on the Queensryche site and noticed the following:

One of the most exciting parts of each concert will certainly be the finale -- the preview of 'Operation:mindcrime II.' Fans have wanted a sequel ever since 'Operation:mindcrime' exploded and earned the band critical acclaim and commercial success. In particular, fans have always asked one burning question in relation to the 'Operation:mindcrime' plot: "Who killed Sister Mary?" The new album, scheduled for release in 2005, will address that question.

If anyone has watched the Operation: Mindcrime VHS release in its entirety then we already know who killed Mary! What are they getting at here?!?

For those of you who still have the VHS release and don't know what I'm talking about, when I say entirety, I mean keep it rolling until ALL the credits are done. You will be treated to another version of "I Don't Believe in Love" which answers the question.

I will definitely try to check them out if they come to CT. Personally, I think Mindcrime II is either going to be really, really good or really, really bad. I don't think there will be any middle ground with this one. BTW, is it safe to assume that DeGarmo will not be colaborating with them on MC II like he did on Tribe?
Old 08-05-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If they are premiering OM:II on tour starting in Oct., does that mean that it is already written/recorded? Going in the studio soon?
Old 08-06-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hopeful, but Tribe only went a little way to dig them out of the chasm they've gotten into since Promised Land in my book.

No Minneapolis date as of yet. I can only hope they'll add one, but who knows.

OT: when I saw Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour, queensryche was incredible. the opener, however (Suicidal Tendencies) sucked royally.

worst. pairing. ever.

Last edited by edclem; 08-06-04 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by edclem

OT: when I saw Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour, queensryche was incredible. the opener, however (Suicidal Tendencies) sucked royally.

worst. pairing. ever.
I couldn't agree more. I also saw them on that tour; everyone around us were just baffled at the lineup. QR was absolutely amazing, tho. That was in my top ten favorite concerts I've been to (and I've been to many shows!)

...although it was amusing watching the mosh pit for Suicidal Tendencies....
Old 10-28-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alright, they have been on this tour for about a month. Anyone go? Hear any of the Mindcrime II material? Is it up to par?
Old 10-28-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Alright, they have been on this tour for about a month. Anyone go? Hear any of the Mindcrime II material? Is it up to par?
THey played a little part of one of the new songs during Mindcrime and it sounded pretty good. At the end of the show they played a commercial for the new album in which they played a song called "Hostage." The guitar on it sounded good but the vocal and structure seems more like latter-day Queensryche. We'll see how good it is when it comes out.
Old 10-29-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So that's it? They promote it as if they will play a few songs. You get part of a song and a commercial? Lame. I guess we wait until next year to hear something substantial.
Old 10-29-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't give a crap about Mindcrime II but thought I'd pipe in and say that I saw Mindcrime in its entirety on the Empire tour. I was excited for it and it was cool, but there's something a little disappointing about knowing what the next song is going to be throughout a show. Not having that excitement of the band kicking into your favorite tune at just the right moment did suck some of the energy out of it. And it's not like the story is so interesting that it made up for it.
Old 04-06-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just read this on Queensryche's website regarding Mindcrime II:

After weeks of debate among the band, Queensryche has finally decided to put the kabosh on Operation: Mindcrime II. Geoff Tate explains, "It was a very easy decision to make amongst the five of us. We know none of our fans wanted to see this album made, let alone talked about, so why even bother? We write music that the media wants us to write, not what's in our hearts. And now that Bush is back in the White House, we're lacking for material." Michael Wilton went on to say, "Hell, I've been debating on leaving this band now for the past 5 years... Mary's dead, get over it!" Eddie concludes, "We were doing a sequel to Mindcrime? Get the F**K out!"

So what's in store for Queensryche now you ask? Well as Scott Rockenfield describes it, "We've always wanted to go back and rekindle the love we had while making Hear in the Now Frontier. Now is the perfect time for that. We just finished laying out the drum track to a follow up to the song 'All I Want' and it's sounding killer! We can only hope that DeGarmo will come back not only as a song writer, but play the triangle on it as well. Bet you all didn't know that Chris is a magnificent trianglist?"
Had me going. It was posted on 4/1.
Old 04-06-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad its a joke.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-06-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those guys were always known for their sense of humor.