Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

999 Covers Being Posted in Newsgroups

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 07-27-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 999 hi-res covers being posted in alt.binaries.dvd-covers and alt.binaries.pictures.cd-covers.

I can download these (if I remember day-to-day) and fill requests. They range from about 1.5 megs to 6 megs each.

Would there be interest in this? They seem pretty mainstream (but there are some others in there too).
Old 07-27-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I've started d/l them, but I hope they're not those crappy scans that have been populating these groups..
Old 07-27-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking for the Die Another Day to match the Bond series box sets, if you happen to see it.
Old 07-27-04, 09:03 AM
Cool New Member

Numanoid,

I have the Die Another Day cover you are looking for. Leave an e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Old 07-27-04, 10:33 AM

I just wished that they could be kept under 5mg in size so that I could use some of the "FREE" A.B.Picture sites that limit the amount of bandwidth that a person can use...

While the newsgroup is listed as part of the "SBC" newsgroups somebody or thing must be blocking a large number of the posts to the group because I almost never receive the files in full....

--David
Old 07-27-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If anyone comes across Monster Legacy covers, I'm still looking for them.

I've seen them on a website, but can't vouch for the quality.
Old 07-27-04, 11:50 AM
Cool New Member

i've got a whole list of covers i need. here are a few:

Bonds to match SE:

Goldfinger, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy who Loved Me

Also, if you can get:
Miracle, windtalkers, Open Range, League of Extraordinary gent.
The kid, Catch that Kid, The great escape, The three musketeers (Disney), Agen Cody Banks 2, The Italian Job (new),
Intolerable cruelty, Space cowboys

sorry if the list is long. any are fine, thanks.
Old 07-27-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What newsgroup service (is that the proper term?) do I need to connect to the alt.binaries.dvd-covers and alt.binaries.pictures.cd-covers newsgroups? I have UsenetMonster, but it doesn't have those newsgroups.
Old 07-27-04, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

how exactly do u get the covers once u sign on to the newsgroup. i can see the messages (although they are not in english but in jibberish/symbols) in the newsgroup, but i dont see any files. im a newbie if u cant tell, but any pointers would be appreciated!
Old 07-27-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What are you using milaka99 to access the newsgroups? If you're using Outlook Express, dump it. Go with something better - I use Powergrab (search google).

I'm downloading all of the other files posted today - we're up to 550/999. A couple didn't come through, but if you let me know what you need, I'll be more than happy to see if I have them and upload them to my space at RoadRunner.
Old 07-27-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
just found all of mine on there. -obfrank-

I don't get the desire to re-distribute someone else's work. I mean, cool, you like one of my covers enough to d/l and print it out. That is great. Why do people feel the need to go one step further and re-distribute against an authors request?

I don't understand.
Old 07-28-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure most people don't read the fine print with the stuff they download and then it just goes from person to person without any sort of copyright in place. For example, I just got everything off the newsgroup, but have no idea what is yours so I don't know what I can and cannot post.

Sorry about yours being on there...but not quite sure what you can do now.
Old 07-28-04, 01:28 AM

Its the urge to share something cool. People naturally like to share good stuff. Because the internet makes the marginal cost of duplication approach zero, people are not constrained by the physical cost of duplication any more and so the natural instinct to share dominates. It is one of characteristic that the old adage that, "Information wants to be free!" tries to describe.

Although I have not seen your work per se, I am relatively confident that it does include images that the original creators would assert copyright on if they were so motivated, in fact that may be one problem that a certain website is currently grappling with at this very moment.

In the long run, the only feasible model of what is currently termed "intellectual property" is something akin to the public domain - once you release a work to the world, you can't expect to maintain any control over it. No matter how hard the RIAA, MPAA and other organizations representing the copyright industry try, ultimately there is no way to win against human nature so adapting is the only sustainable course. Of course this law of nature hasn't stopped the *AA's from trying and they will, and are, doing a huge amount of damage to our society in the process. But ultimately their position is unsustainable -- Smith's invisible hand trumps all comers no matter what arguments, moral or otherwise, they have in their favor.

On the flip side, there are opportunities to make money in such an environment, plenty of money to sustain artists of most, if not all, mediums. You can get compensated for releasing to the public domain, you just can't exert much control once the work is out there. And the role of middleman in a distribution network, like the way the *AA's fit into the picture prior to the Internet, has gone the way of the horse and buggy manufacturer.

Last edited by Jah-Wren Ryel; 07-28-04 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-28-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
"intellectual property" isn't that what disney said?
Old 07-28-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Its the urge to share something cool. People naturally like to share good stuff.
I can go with that explanation, but when 1 user posts 1000 covers, it is no longer about something that is cool, it is about sharing them for the pirates. That and the fact that probably more than half of those aren't 'cool.' Just something to put in that blank pirated dvd case.
Old 07-28-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rocinante67
Numanoid,

I have the Die Another Day cover you are looking for. Leave an e-mail address and I will send it to you.
You've got mail.
Old 07-28-04, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I can go with that explanation, but when 1 user posts 1000 covers, it is no longer about something that is cool, it is about sharing them for the pirates. That and the fact that probably more than half of those aren't 'cool.' Just something to put in that blank pirated dvd case.
Not necessarily. When the marginal cost to share approaches zero, one side effect is that the threshold at which the perceived value justifies the cost of sharing also approaches zero.

Posting to usenet has few secondary costs (i.e the poster does not pay for storage, he generally doesn't pay for upload bandwidth, mainly just the opportunity cost of his time online and if he would otherwise have turned the computer off then that time is effectively free). From the poster's perspective, his entire collection is "cool enough" to justify his cost in sharing (i.e it costs him nothing to share, so he might as well share it all because somewhere, someone might find value in this or that obscure cover).

Another less academic point in support of the urge to share is the Subject line the poster used, "My DVD Cover Collection - 98% Hi-Res - Please Post Yours Too! " which suggests his enthusiasm and pride in being able to share his entire collection. That kind of expressed attitude is a hallmark of gift-economy markets.

FWIW, it is interesting to note that while the cost to the person sharing is negligble, the cost to the people receiving is measurable and will have an impact on their behaviour. The primary cost is storage space - is the value of a whole wad of indiscriminate DVD covers worth the amount of disk space it will consume? For most people, the answer is no and they will more than likely pick and choose rather than downloading the entire batch. For some people, merely having the entire batch so that they can share it at will may be worth the disk space it consumes. People who are miffed at the behaviour of the copyright industry in going after dvdcoverart may also feel that the value of stashing away a huge collection is worth the cost in disk space.
Old 07-28-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

more valid points Jah. Mostly the title of the posting. Seems friendly enough and seeking more that he doesn't have. I would bet all of them would fit on a few dvds. That cost isn't that high, unless you count the price of a burner if you don't have one.
Old 07-28-04, 10:16 PM

bump
Old 07-30-04, 06:02 AM
Cool New Member

The whole world should have a rule that a scan has to be identified as such, and a custom likewise.
The amount of bandwidth, and wear and tear on the delete button, that would be saved would be enough to feed a small nation.
Old 07-30-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Beyond_Doubt
The whole world should have a rule that a scan has to be identified as such, and a custom likewise.
The amount of bandwidth, and wear and tear on the delete button, that would be saved would be enough to feed a small nation.
Scans should be banned PERIOD.

And while I didn't agree with Michael Corvin's initial assessment of that poster putting stuff up for "pirates", now that he's posting disc "labels", i'd have to agree with him.

There's no reason for that.
Old 07-30-04, 12:49 PM

Do you really think that a 'Pirate' would use the low res scans?? I guess you guys have not seen some of the bootleg DVD's being sold at flee markets...

They are either full blown 'reproductions' or only have handwritten name and in a jewel case...
Old 08-05-04, 07:27 AM

I agree, the labels are only useful for anyone burning a disc, who don't have access to the original so almost certainly they have not paid for their copy.

DEC29111 -- We aren't talking large-scale commercial pirates who will buy their own original copy of the disc and artwork, just casual copiers who will download the bits from somewhere on the net and make their own physical copy never having seen or touched the original disc and case.