Community
Search

OAR of Braindead/Dead Alive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAR of Braindead/Dead Alive?

I just got the R2 UK version of Braindead, and it has a different aspect ratio than my R1 DVD. IMDB lists the AR as 1.66:1. Here are some screenshots:

Region 1:

Region 2:

Region 1:

Region 2:

Anyone know which one is correct?
Old 05-10-04, 07:56 PM

EDIT: Oops, didn't read your original post closely enough.
Old 05-11-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello.....

The R1 version you have is framed at 1:78:1, and the R2 UK edition is 1:66:1. According to IMDB, the R2 version you have is the original aspect ratio. However, ORIGINAL aspect ration, and director prefered ratio can often be two different things.

Personally, I prefer the Albanian R4 edition with the 1.77:1 pulldown sequencing which also has the PAL digital-combing conversion into the current North American floating matte edition. This release also has the Panavision 2.5:1 ratio. However, given the inherent speed increase of PAL video, the company that released this version also added an analog up-conversion to NTSC with increased THX filtering. This one, however, is rare.

Last edited by KillerQ; 05-11-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since 'Braindead' was shot in New Zealand, and most countries other than America use 1.66 instead of 1.85 as the standard, I'd say it's safe to assume that 1.66 is the OAR unless we see evidence to the contrary. (And since the only evidence to the contrary is a version of the film which doesn't even have the correct title, it doesn't look too good. [Though, that said, apparently, Peter Jackson prefers the unrated 'Dead Alive' cut to the 'Braindead' cut.])

I'm even willing to go as far as to infer it's the intended aspect ratio too, but that's a judgement call.

Incidentally, why is 'Braindead' so much brighter than 'Dead Alive'? I've noticed this on my R2 DVD also, it's not just the pictures posted above. I guess it's probably a bad transfer, but it was noticeable because the picture quality *seemed* worse than my old VHS of it, because some parts were so blown out.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 05-11-04 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-11-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by KillerQ
...The Albanian R4 edition with the 1.77:1 pulldown sequencing with PAL digital-combing into the current North American floating matte edition. Trelease also has the Panavision 2.5:1 ratio. However, given the inherent speed increase of PAL video, the company that released this version also added an analog up-conversion to NTSC with increased THX filtering. This one, however, is rare.
. . . mao . . .
Old 05-11-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Incidentally, why is 'Braindead' so much brighter than 'Dead Alive'? I've noticed this on my R2 DVD also, it's not just the pictures posted above. I guess it's probably a bad transfer, but it was noticeable because the picture quality *seemed* worse than my old VHS of it, because some parts were so blown out.
The R1 version looks MUCH better than the R2. The R2 is harsh, grainy, and as you said, overly bright. So I think it's just a transfer issue.