Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Stephen King Book?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: What's the worst Stephen King book?
Bag of Bones
2.76%
Dolores Claiborne
2.76%
Dreamcatcher
17.13%
From a Buick 8
6.63%
Gerald's Game
23.76%
Insomnia
6.08%
Rose Madder
6.63%
Tommyknockers
19.89%
Gunslinger (any)
5.52%
Other (please specify)
8.84%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Stephen King Book?

Old 05-05-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Stephen King Book?

I'm a pretty big SK fan (haven't read them all, but well over half). And I've always wondered if he's ever mentioned what his least favorite is?

So that piqued my curiousity - what does everyone think the worst Stephen King book is that they've read - not including novellas/short stories. For me, I think I'd have to vote for Insomnia. I remember buying that thinking: "A book about a guy who's insomnia gets worse and worse? Cool!" But I thought the story turned in an odd direction after the main character started doing his investigative work.

Thoughts? And I could only list nine (plus "other") so I tried to list the titles that I've heard fans/people say what they considered the worst most often.

And on a side note, am I the only fan who thinks that The Long Walk is one of his best? I doubt that, but I think I AM the only person who thinks that TLW would translate into a great movie. I heard there was brief discussions about doing that, but the idea just went away. What a tense movie that'd be!

Last edited by modfather; 05-05-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been ages since I read it, but I thought The Tommyknockers was pretty awful. I think that gets my vote.
Old 05-05-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tommyknockers had such potential, but good god, man, edit.
Old 05-05-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dreamcatcher, and the movie is even worse.
Old 05-05-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I picked Gerald's Game, but after thinking about it a few moments more, I should have chosen Rose Madder.
Old 05-05-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Tommyknockers...or Dreamcatcher (but I picked Tommyknockers).

Basically, any Stephen King book featuring
Spoiler:
aliens
sucks.
Old 05-05-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Carrie is my least favorite. I can't believe there is a poll for worst SK book though. I really liked Tommyknockers, the movie on the other hand blew, I really dug how he stuck James Sawyer from the Talisman in there. The Long Walk is excellent and Insomnia is as well (IMO) and about putting the Gunslinger on that list, for shame!

Have you read the Dark Tower books? About a dozen of SK's non-Dark Tower books are tied in with the Dark Tower series.
Old 05-05-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read the first book. I got stuck around page 40-50 once or twice before I finally got over the hump and I really liked it. It's been years though. From what I remember, it's definitely a departure for SK, but he seems to like writing them... I wish he'd get back to some non-Gunslinger stories, but oh well.
Old 05-05-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Just wanted to add that The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is worthy of this list, IMO.
I picked Dreamcatcher, though.
Old 05-06-04, 09:00 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I voted Dreamcatcher.
Old 05-06-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I voted the Dark Tower books....I just could not get into them.
Admitted, I haven't read many of the ones in the poll--perhaps because I've heard the general opinions
Wasn't Carrie his first novel written? I wonder if what many people call 'bad' is simply 'inexperience'.
From a Buick 8 wasn't all that bad--it was different, but not bad, imho.

And I agree, I loved The Long Walk--actually, a lot of the Bachman Books I really liked. It certainly wouldn't be as eye-catching or 'fun', but I would have liked to see a more accurate 'The Running Man,'...Actually, of those first four Bachman Books [TLW, TRM, Rage, Roadwork], they all have that in common--very good at quickly setting a level of tension, immovable object versus unstoppable force type tension, and staying there. Good reads.

I did like the Eyes of the Dragon, which somewhat refers to the Dark Tower books.
Old 05-06-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny, though, because the only SK book I've NEVER been able to complete is Roadwork. I love the other "Bachman Books", but I just find Roadwork to be too slow at the building tension. I think I even got half way through it last time I tried reading it, but just set it down eventually...
Old 05-06-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I'd have to say "Dreamcatcher" of the choices given. I actually really dug "From A Buick 8," the first truly SCARY SK book in a long time and a short, smart read.
Old 05-06-04, 03:37 PM

Yeah, Dreamcatcher was bad. I could never get into Gerald's Game, but of course I was like 12 when I first tried to read it ....
Old 05-06-04, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ginwen
Basically, any Stephen King book featuring
Spoiler:
aliens
sucks.
Spoiler:
IT was an alien
Old 05-07-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
Spoiler:
IT was an alien
Well that was a good book, but that aspect of it was pretty lame (just that everything else about was good enough to make up for it).

Actually, I forget that
Spoiler:
IT was an alien
, but that aspect, and the end in general, definitely wasn't the best aspect of the book.

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-07-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-07-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
come on people this should be a landslide here. Gerald
s Game. I mean a 300+ page book about someone strapped to a bed? The idea has potential... if he were to shave it down about 250 pages.

Almost voted Insomnia. I read this ties into the Dark Tower somewhat. I may have to go back and re-read it. And agreed, the Dark Tower series does not belong anywhere near this list.

I thought Bag of Bones was excellent, as well as Tom Gordon.

sidenote: I have read EVERY SK book except for Tommyknockers. And I never finished Dreamcatcher, Buick 8 or Dark Half. So that may say something about those books.
Old 05-07-04, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went with dreamcatcher. i can't believe you even put the dark tower series on the list.
Old 05-07-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put Dark Tower on there because I assume that some fans might not appreciate the departure for SK. It's been awhile since I read the first DT book, but it's definitely different than his mainstream horror/drama.
Old 05-08-04, 01:21 AM

Thinner. Worst book ever by King (even though published under Bachman). Hated the story. Hated the end. But that's just me. On a side note, Insomnia shouldn't be on the list. It's a VERY important Dark Tower novel...

EDIT: The Dark Tower books are King's crowning achievement. They combine all the elements within all his books. I love them and I am even re-reading them all in anticipation for the last 2 due out this summer. After that, King is probably done (he has said so in a few interviews). If you don't like them, then you don't. But I suggest trying to pick them up again, and finish the first three. If you aren't hooked by then, well....stick to his other books.

MG26

Last edited by MovieGuy26; 05-08-04 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-08-04, 07:26 AM
Banned

Dreamcatcher sucked but Gerald's Game was even worse. A whole book about a woman handcuffed to a bed? Umm no.
Old 05-08-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gerald's Game was absolutely freakin' horrible. Almost turned me off King entirely.
Old 05-08-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Thinking about it harder I would have to say "Needful Things" is my least favorite, and I've read all his books. It reads like someone trying to imitate King and failing.
Old 05-08-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by MovieGuy26
On a side note, Insomnia shouldn't be on the list. It's a VERY important Dark Tower novel...

EDIT: The Dark Tower books are King's crowning achievement.
I agree. It is his swan song. Everything else is small potatoes.

Anyway, how important is Insomnia in the scope of the Dark Tower. I really didn't like it at the time. Should I re-read before Song of Susanna comes out.
Old 05-09-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't figure out how Bag of Bones and The Dark Tower books made this list- I loved them all. I also really liked Rose Madder, but I may be the only one.

The Regulators was one book of his I could never finish so I guess that'd be my vote.

I still haven't read Dreamcatcher though (been avoiding it) and I haven't read From a Buick 8 (haven't gotten around to it) and I'm currently stuck at the beginning of Black House and don't know if I can continue. The "We" narraration style in that book really is annoying me ('We look over her shoulder and see...", "This is the person we came to see", "We can't linger on this scene, though, because time is running short and there's other place we still need to see...") Ugh, stop telling me what "We" think or know and tell the damn story!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.