Andromeda, Mutant X Cancelled

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-26-04, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from http://filmforce.ign.com/

Production company Fireworks shutters.

April 26, 2004 - Andromeda and Mutant X will be coming to an end, thanks to the closing of Canadian producer Fireworks. In an announcement on Friday, Fireworks owners CanWest Global Communications made public its plan to close the doors of the Toronto based producer and sell its library of productions. According to a CanWest spokesman, discussions were underway with a number of interested parties.

Fireworks was the primary producer for a number of series, mostly action / adventure shows for the U.S. syndication market. As the demand in the U.S. for such programming has declined over the past few years, Fireworks was faced with rising debt. While there could be potential for the series to continue with another producer, that possibility seems unlikely. Karen Cliche, who plays Lexa Pierce on Mutant X, announced that the series was cancelled on her personal website over the weekend, so the future doesn't look too bright.

Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda was recently part of a large sale to the U.S. Sci-Fi Channel which added the series to its Friday night lineup several weeks ago. A deal for the next season to air exclusively on Sci-Fi may save that series from extinction but the possibility is remote at best. According to a number of industry insiders, Sci-Fi Channel would not have the money required to take up the slack from losing Fireworks as a co-production partner.
so what we have here are two shows that were doing well in their syndicated outings, but the production company shuts down. Will be interesting to see if anyone other company steps forward, or the dumbing down of the viewing public continues with more 'reality' to take the place of creative expression..
Old 04-26-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sci-Fi kills another one.
Old 04-26-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
if someone is smart they'll come in and help sci-fi with the costs
although I rarely watch andromeda and have missed way too much to start watching now, it's not a bad show
Old 04-26-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Well, at least I have the sci-fi channel when I need my Lexa Doig fix.
Old 04-26-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only real casualty here is that Victoria Pratt wont be on TV every week. Other than that, I can't say I'm sad to see these two shows go. They both tried to change focus a couple of years ago and never recovered.

Somehow, I know SciFi can be blamed for this.

D
Old 04-26-04, 03:49 PM

The last episode I caught of Andromeda featured Dylan whining about the Common Wealth at least twenty times before being kicked out and was putrid at best so I won't be crying any tears over a once decent show getting the axe. Can't say the same for Mutant X, never liked that to begin with.
Old 04-26-04, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Andromeda was pretty dumbed down to begin with- at least it has been the last couple of seasons.

Still, nice DVD box sets for
Old 04-26-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric F
[B]Andromeda was pretty dumbed down to begin with- at least it has been the last couple of seasons.

Still, nice DVD box sets for
Old 04-26-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Andromeda, Mutant X Cancelled

Originally posted by Londo

so what we have here are two shows that were doing well in their syndicated outings, but the production company shuts down. Will be interesting to see if anyone other company steps forward, or the dumbing down of the viewing public continues with more 'reality' to take the place of creative expression..
Hey, we're DVDTalk, we're all for kicking reality TV, because we're soo much better than those that watch reality TV.....hey! Reality TV has nothing to do with the decline in popularity of action/adventure sydnicated shows.

All I ask for in rants on reality TV is a little bit of common sense.
Old 04-26-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
How many Mutant X threads have there been in the TV forum-not many?
Old 04-28-04, 02:55 AM

There is a god!

Thank goodness Kevin Sorbo will be out of a job ever since his coup against Robert H Wolfe this show went down hill fast last I heard about this show Keith Hamiliton Cobb left the show because he was unhappy his character was dumbed down. As for Mutant X lets just say that I have no opinion.