Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD War Looms As Advancements Draw Closer

Old 04-19-04, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this on Yahoo News. It has quote from Geoff/DVDTalk.

Old 04-19-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
I must agree, I'm not clamoring for something new. I know that technology must advance, and eventually will. However, DVD really has just taken hold and to release a new technology aimed at the mass public would be DIVX-ical.

Admitted, I am not (yet) into the whole tech side and have not even made the steps beyond a 27 inch TV, my trusty APEX that has lasted through the years and given nary a lick of trouble, and a pieced together surround sound system (I don't even have cable TV!). I expect that soon I will be venturing into the big screen realm and building a home screening room, but even then I would not be willing to scrap everything that I have. Hell, VHS is still hanging strong (not in my house, but as an industry). How long have we been predicting recordable DVDs? Nah, another Chicken Little article.

Old 04-19-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well Abob, I do hope you realize that we do in fact have recordable DVDs, and have for some time now. Think of it as a little piece of sky hitting you in the head
Old 04-19-04, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll throw in my $0.02. I too feel that there is not a large enough perceived difference between High Def dvd's and regular dvd's (like there was between dvd and vhs).

DVD vs. VHS you had:
better image quality
multi-track sound
chapter skipping
special features
more?

High Def DVD vs. DVD you have:
better image quality
more?

After a few weeks of watching my HD-Projector I DO see a difference in image quality between HDTV and DVD however I have 2 final points.

1. I don't know that the difference warrants another entire format.

2. While new movies have looked better (Pearl Harbor, Mummy Returns) I don't think older movies look all that much better. Film transfers and restoration can only do so much to a non-new release movie.

MHO.

edit: Something else that I (and the article) overlooked was DVD players that upconvert to HD signals. I think this could be a big market as people would rather fork over $250 for a new dvd player than replace their entire collection.

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 04-19-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the sooner hd-dvd (or blu-ray) comes the better. especially when you consider that many early releases will be crappy dvd transfers and bare bones, just like the early dvds use ld transfers and touted 'animated menus'.

the sooner hd-dvd comes, the sooner studios get their act together and start doing proper releases.

technology advances way too slow because too many people try to hold it back.
Old 04-19-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
Well Abob, I do hope you realize that we do in fact have recordable DVDs, and have for some time now. Think of it as a little piece of sky hitting you in the head
OK, I was a little vague in that statement! What I meant was that while we do have recordable DVDs, they still are not as mainstream as they were supposed to have been by now. It still is not a "mass consumer" (or Joe Sixpack if you prefer) product. (Ducking the falling sky.)
Old 04-19-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Abob Teff
OK, I was a little vague in that statement! What I meant was that while we do have recordable DVDs, they still are not as mainstream as they were supposed to have been by now. It still is not a "mass consumer" (or Joe Sixpack if you prefer) product. (Ducking the falling sky.)
I see. Probably the price point, and the usefullness factor. The best mass consumer usage for them would be television recording, but as long as the VCR works just as well, they'll never take off, as practically everyone owns a VCR.
Old 04-19-04, 03:21 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the studio's buy into this, I wonder how many re-releases there will be?
Old 04-19-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best mass consumer usage for them would be television recording, but as long as the VCR works just as well, they'll never take off, as practically everyone owns a VCR.
I think most people realize that if they record onto a DVD, there'll be no degredation over time, which is a huge advantage.
Old 04-19-04, 03:46 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Abob Teff
I must agree, I'm not clamoring for something new. I know that technology must advance, and eventually will. However, DVD really has just taken hold and to release a new technology aimed at the mass public would be DIVX-ical.
I agree. I think DVDs will be the dominant format (i.e. what Joe Six Pack buys at Wal-mart and Best Buy) for a long time to come.

CDs have been around for over 20 years, and nothing has seriously challenged them. People aren't going to buy new equipment and rebuy their music library just for better A/V quality. CDs offered a lot more over cassessetes and records than that, like track selection, more durability etc.

I believe the same will be true with DVDs. Joe Six Pack isn't going to upgrade to HD-DVD just to get better picture quality. Not to mention most of them don't have HD sets.
Old 04-19-04, 03:53 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Originally posted by Rubix
the sooner hd-dvd comes, the sooner studios get their act together and start doing proper releases.

Oh, my! If I could only express, how I agree with you here!
Old 04-19-04, 04:14 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Rubix

I disagree. I buy DVDs because I love moves, and wanted OAR, instant scene access and no re-winding.

I'm happy with what I have, and have no reason to upgrade ever as far as I'm concerned.

I think some people are just too wrapped up in having the latest technology and/or care more about marginal A/V improvements than just enjoying films.

But to each his own I guess.
Old 04-19-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The only other advantage I could see with a newer format is the slimming down of boxed sets, especially TV shows. For example, I'd love to be able to fit a whole season, or more, of a show on one disc (with a 'play random episode' option too!). If anything, it would be a little more economical.
Old 04-19-04, 06:45 PM

Bring it on! Death to DVD! DEATH TO DVD!!!!

heh :P

I liked the random episode idea by the way.
Old 04-19-04, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
The only other advantage I could see with a newer format is the slimming down of boxed sets, especially TV shows. For example, I'd love to be able to fit a whole season, or more, of a show on one disc (with a 'play random episode' option too!). If anything, it would be a little more economical.
Egads yes.

PEACH