Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-07-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not another one of those public domain crap issues, but the real thing.

I'd always heard that Ted Turner had snipped the beginnings and endings off for more commercials and the missing parts were gone forever.

Hopefully this is not true and the whole episode will be on the disc. I taped all of them on VHS about 19 years ago before he started snipping them.

They'd better get going on those extras. The cast was looking pretty old at the TVLand awards ceremony.

Anyone here want the show on DVD?

From http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

Andy Griffith Show, The - Now wait just a minute, folks! It's coming!

Posted by David Lambert
4/06/2004

It seems that all the attention which has been heaped upon The Andy Griffith Show - by way of TVLand's Legend Award, great ratings on the reunion show from last year, and general fan demand - not to mention a pretty good ranking here at TVShowsOnDVD to boot! - has not been lost on Paramount, the studio which officially owns this property.

Even though more than a dozen DVDs are on the market featuring episodes from that series, all of them are part of the same small group of "public domain" episodes which feature bad video quality, due to lack of remastering (since the companies involved don't have the right to access the original material and do restoration work on it). Those meager releases don't even begin to touch the legacy of this beloved series, which ran for 249 episodes over 8 seasons.

Now it has come to our attention that Paramount Home Video has got this show in their sights...and are determined to aim at it better than ol' Barney Fife. A DVD package for The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 is in-the-works, and could possibly even reach store shelves before the year is out. That last part is unsure, but the fact is that this IS coming.

And that's all we can tell you for now. Stay tuned, and we'll bring you more on this just as soon as we can. Get ready to party, Mayberry-style!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1364
Old 04-07-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I'd always heard that Ted Turner had snipped the beginnings and endings off for more commercials and the missing parts were gone forever.
Hope that's not true. Otherwise someone should trim Turner's beginnings and endings, and throw out the missing parts. But I would love to purchase at least all the black and white episodes of the Andy Griffith Show if they are not butchered..
Old 04-07-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

[/i]
What a ridiculous rumor, as though billionaire Ted Turner has nothing better to do. First of all no one with his amount of money has ever done as much for film RESTORATION as he has. Those old arguments that he colorized classics and otherwise butchered film are old news. Never once were the black and white copies of colorized films ever unavailable unless your store chose not to carry them. Turner Classic Movies, now owned by Time-Warner, was started by Ted Turner and it is the greatest network in the history of television. It has exhibited and preserved films long thought lost to the ravages of time.

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW has been edited and snipped since it went into syndication in the mid-60's, in order to squeeze more commercials in. The series was NEVER owned by Ted Turner, it is a Viacom property and in the last twenty years they have been using little unobtrusive edits to still fit in more ads, but make it seem like it flows better. It's still unnecessary and awful and for those of us familiar with the shows, the missing lines of dialogue and reaction shots take all the nuance out of the show. Every show on that airs on TV LAND is missing at least six minutes from its original presentation, so if you care about vintage tv, you will support it on DVD.

Turner doesn't need me to defend him, but I think all that crap about colorizing was a tempest in a teapot and unfairly categorized him among film buffs and loudmouth directors like Joe Dante. I'm not the biggest fan of Turner, but his creation of TCM was a dream come true for me, having the opportunity to see films I never thought I'd see, and I'm grateful to him for that.
Old 04-07-04, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... this is the news I've been waiting to hear for a few years now!

What's Paramount's history with TV-on-DVD releases? Do they typically get every season of a show released fairly quickly, one after the other? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they aren't a "release one season, and that's it" type place. Hopefully sales will be strong on these sets.... I want every season on DVD! :-)
Old 04-07-04, 07:23 AM

This is great news. I can't wait!!!
Old 04-07-04, 07:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They should get that kid who played Opie to do commentary. Whatever happened to him?
Old 04-07-04, 08:36 AM

Great news!!! I thought this would never happen!
Old 04-07-04, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Couldn't be happier, thanks for the news! I've probably seen every episode of the series half a dozen times, but I'll be at the store early Tuesday morning to buy this if they're cleaned up and unedited.
Old 04-07-04, 02:51 PM
Wag

This is one of my Holy Grails, I hope much love and care is given to it.
Old 04-07-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news, for sure.
Old 04-07-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll most likely pick this up when it's made available
Old 04-07-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ProfessorEcho, although I agree on TCM as being a great station, let's not raise TT up on too high a pedestal.

I don't think anyone has forgotten the colorized It's a Wonderful Life debacle. True, the film was not permanently ruined, as the B&W edition is back in full force, but just the fact that he had the audacity to do that and retain and sell the rights to his newly coyrighted version (when the film fell, temporarily, into Public Domain) is really a black mark on his record.

In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the TCM station created in part due to the backlash he received from the IAWL problems? Remember that Capra on his deathbed and Stewart before Congress raised hell that didn't fair to well with him publicly.
Old 04-07-04, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
They should get that kid who played Opie to do commentary. Whatever happened to him?
I Know you Must be Kidding But just in case your not..

that kid who played Opie
Old 04-07-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also hope they get the guy who played Floyd the barber for the commentary track. Although, since he's been dead for many years, maybe they could just get Eugene Levy doing his impersonation of the guy who played Floyd the barber.
Old 04-08-04, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
ProfessorEcho, although I agree on TCM as being a great station, let's not raise TT up on too high a pedestal.

I don't think anyone has forgotten the colorized It's a Wonderful Life debacle. True, the film was not permanently ruined, as the B&W edition is back in full force, but just the fact that he had the audacity to do that and retain and sell the rights to his newly coyrighted version (when the film fell, temporarily, into Public Domain) is really a black mark on his record.

In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the TCM station created in part due to the backlash he received from the IAWL problems? Remember that Capra on his deathbed and Stewart before Congress raised hell that didn't fair to well with him publicly.

Actually, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE had been in the Public Domain for many many years and I don't believe it was Turner who was able to copyright it, and certainly not based on it being colorized. They were able to copyright the MUSIC in the film, which then led to its current restricted state. After all, how can you show a movie that has music in it without the music? Technically, it's still a public domain film, but no one can show it without contacting those who own the music copyright on it. Since IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE does not air on any Turner stations, I am guessing he was not the one to copyright it. NBC has or at least had exclusive rights to broadcasting it and they are not affiliated with Turner or with Time/Warner. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as to who does currently own the rights.

TCM may in fact have been a reaction to the colorizing incident, as I believe CNN was a response to criticism that he did not have newscasts on TBS. Who cares how either came about as long as they have? The knock on Ted Turner is always the same: COLORIZATION. But to me that's old news. He's more than redeemed himself for that grevious error in judgement, even though I felt the reaction was as greviously overstated.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I do like the way he does some things. He once proposed that every millionaire in the world be required to state how much they have given to charity in a given year. His goal was to prove that he gives more than anybody. Self-serving? Sure, but think of all the good it would do to show the hypocrisy of all these millionaires who don't give a dime to help anyone. Revealing this for the whole world to see would FORCE them to donate! Once again, his motives may be suspect, but the results are usually worth it.

And, lest we forget, TCM is the greatest network in the history of television.
Old 04-08-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally!
Old 04-08-04, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
One of the funniest things I'd ever heard was a joke where someone said they watched the newly Turner-acquired "The Wizard of Oz" and said he'd colourised the Kansas scenes.

Of course, Orson Welles also said to "Keep Ted Turner and his goddamned Crayolas away from my movie!" after Turner had bought the rights to Citizen Kane.
Old 04-08-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best. Show. Ever.
Old 04-09-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: The Andy Griffith Show will make it to DVD!

Originally posted by ProfessorEcho
What a ridiculous rumor, as though billionaire Ted Turner has nothing better to do. First of all no one with his amount of money has ever done as much for film RESTORATION as he has.

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW has been edited and snipped since it went into syndication in the mid-60's, in order to squeeze more commercials in. The series was NEVER owned by Ted Turner, it is a Viacom property and in the last twenty years they have been using little unobtrusive edits to still fit in more ads, but make it seem like it flows better. It's still unnecessary and awful and for those of us familiar with the shows, the missing lines of dialogue and reaction shots take all the nuance out of the show. Every show on that airs on TV LAND is missing at least six minutes from its original presentation, so if you care about vintage tv, you will support it on DVD.

Maybe it was Viacom that snipped the episodes? I just hope they didn't lose the footage.

They usually found it easiest to cut the opening and ending segments since they usually had nothing to do with the storyline. But these were often some of the funniest or most poignant parts of the episode.
Old 04-09-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great news. My father will be one happy boy. First M*A*S*H, now Andy Griffith. Woo!
Old 04-09-04, 02:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Old 05-18-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Latest update today from tvshowsondvd.com

Andy Griffith Show, The - From Paramount: The Andy Griffith Show Season 1

5/18/2004

Earlier today information went out to various retailers about upcoming Paramount releases, including many TV sets. Please keep in mind that these dates are probably correct, but since nothing has been officially announced by Paramount they may change. Among the announcements is The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1, scheduled for release on October 12. All we have at this time is the date; once we get more information it will be posted to the site.

Old 05-18-04, 07:51 PM

Great! Let the countdown begin!

(Hopefully that date is correct!)

Sarah? Get me Juanita down at the diner!
Old 05-18-04, 08:08 PM
Suspended

This is my all time favorite television comedy. The first 5 seasons are classic. Can't wait!
Old 05-18-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, are you serious? That kid you speak of is Danny Bonaduce, who now stars in CSI Miami, one of the most popular shows on NBC.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.