Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

[POLL] Arnold's Replacement

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Next Arnold
The Rock
77.59%
Vin Diesel
8.62%
Ben Affleck
2.59%
Will Smith
0.86%
Hugh Jackman
1.72%
Other
8.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of the many wanna be's that seem to be clamoring to take over as the next uber action star, who will actually pull it off?
Old 04-03-04, 07:46 PM
SeeNo Member

Charlie Sheen
Old 04-03-04, 07:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Will Smith already IS an uber action star, but he's not the next "Arnold."

I wouldn't say Hugh Jackman, either, because he's been doing non-action stuff, as well.

I would say that Vin Deisel is trying to be the next Arnold, but he's failing.
Old 04-03-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still waiting for the next good action star. None of those guys have made a great movie (i.e. Die Hard, T2, First Blood, Dirty Harry) to push them over the hump of average action movie guy.
Old 04-03-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Rock. I really enjoyed The Run Down
Old 04-03-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The Rock
Old 04-03-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The rundown and walking tall are two great examples why the rock has that charm arnold had back in his early days.
Old 04-03-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The rundown and walking tall are two great examples why the rock has that charm arnold had back in his early days.
Old 04-03-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, after watching 'The Rundown', I've got to say The Rock.
Old 04-03-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed Walking Tall....and I've never been a big fan of The Rock.

I may even go see it again.
Old 04-03-04, 10:01 PM

Phanom Yeerum.... or at least if I had my way he would be
Old 04-03-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, who voted for Ben Affleck. Seriously, just step forward and admit it...we won't hurt you too badly.

Heh, regardless, it absolutely is The Rock. He's got charisma, he's fun to watch, and he can carry a movie. Is he an amazing actor? No, but he's a lot of fun. And moreso than any other person making movies, you REALLY buy the fact that this man could whoop the living daylights out of the people he's beating the crap out of.

What Rock needs is a really great movie. Rundown was solid entertainment, but I think the Rock needs to lose the softened image and go all out. I love the fact he's sticking to a more 70s 80s asthetic with his films, but he needs to go the route of Arnold and give us some rollickin good R rated action flicks.

Honestly the idea of Rock doing a Predator 3 is fabulous. IF they could make a good movie, that would be a great start. Set it in the middle east, and let's have a duel. Skip Terminator (come on, that one is Arnie's leave it alone). But he needs to get into R rated territory. I understand he has some strange need to appeal to everyone, but he's an action star. And action stars really don't need to be held back by the almighty pg-13. I know, I know, R rating doesn't = better. But when the point of the movie is to see one man beatup, maim, kill, decapitate, and all out destroy everyone else, you need to give us what we want. So Rock...give us that insanely cool action movie we want! But he's definately got whatever it is to be the next great action star. Here's hoping his movies do better BO wise so he gets to stick around.
Old 04-03-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think The Rock himself would be hesitant to star in an R-rated picture. I think I read on IGN that he realized a lot of his fans were younger and was still looking to cater to them. Did a little looking, here's the quote:

Despite the abundance of fisticuffs in Walking Tall, The Rock asserted that he enjoys tailoring his films for an adolescent-friendly audience to avoid alienating the core of his fan base. "If you're able to capture the story, to keep it PG-13 is really important because I've got a lot young fans out there and I realize that."

Then again, it's hard to say no when the money is in front of your face.
Old 04-04-04, 12:41 AM

There was actually a discussion on NPR last year, I believe, that talked about Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone future replacements in the action world. The film critics mentioned Vin Diesel and (I think) the Rock.

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 04-04-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Van Diesel isn't worth the title. His works seem to fall flat. He just doesn't have the charm to carry it.
Old 04-04-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
The Rock has charisma and is actually a really nice guy. He will be the next Arnie and he actually has better comedic timing than Ahnuld.
Diesel just comes off as a tough guy with no real appeal. He seems to be full of himself. But he seems to be a more believable actor.
Old 04-04-04, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Corvin
I think The Rock himself would be hesitant to star in an R-rated picture. I think I read on IGN that he realized a lot of his fans were younger and was still looking to cater to them. Did a little looking, here's the quote:

Despite the abundance of fisticuffs in Walking Tall, The Rock asserted that he enjoys tailoring his films for an adolescent-friendly audience to avoid alienating the core of his fan base. "If you're able to capture the story, to keep it PG-13 is really important because I've got a lot young fans out there and I realize that."

Then again, it's hard to say no when the money is in front of your face.
No doubt this is self imposed. But, nonetheless, I think Rock is hurting himself by avoiding this segment of filmmaking. Seriously, think of all the best Ahnold and Stallone action films, the best Bruce Willis action films, heck the majority of most action films (I'm talkin pure action films) and you'll notice that in general, they ain't family friendly. While I admire The Rock for sticking to his guns, I still want to see him do some serious hardcore stuff. Beating people up is fun and all to see, but if he wants to truly be the next great action star, he's going to have to open himself up to some stuff that's not really for everyone. IMO. Action films need a good story, but come on...let's admit it, we also enjoy gratuitous violence.
Old 04-04-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely The Rock, though he does need to get into some R-rated stuff.
Old 04-04-04, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by jaeufraser
What Rock needs is a really great movie. Rundown was solid entertainment, but I think the Rock needs to lose the softened image and go all out. I love the fact he's sticking to a more 70s 80s asthetic with his films, but he needs to go the route of Arnold and give us some rollickin good R rated action flicks.
Amen! Dwayne is about where Ah-nold was in 1983, just before The Terminator came out and he made a REALLY big splash. If Rock gets a break-out movie like that, he could be HUGE.

The problem is - he *REALLY* needs to get away from Vince McMahon's clutches. He will never really shine as a actor until then.

Also - for further discussion: is the era of the Big Action Movie Star over? The 80's is undeniably the Golden Age of Action Movies - but it's time unfortunately is over. Is it possible for a star to hit the heights of someone in the 80's these days? Can the Rock ever be as big as Ah-nold was at the height of his powers?
Old 04-04-04, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the Rock sucks. So not him. Rundown bombed and now Walking Tall looks like it's headed for bomb city as well, unless it has some serious legs. So he won't see one tenth the success Arnold did. His starring roles are going to dry up because none of his movies have really been successful. Scorpion King was decent, but by no means hugely successful. I just don't think the general movie-going public wants to see a movie with a wrestler as the main star. Only wrestling fans and Rock fans are interested.

Hugh Jackman is the best out of all of those, but he's not just an action star. I'd have to say nobody on that list. Vin Diesel's 15 minutes of fame are almost up. I'm still trying to figure out how he got 15 minutes of fame to begin with.

Last edited by Terrell; 04-04-04 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll third that.
Old 04-04-04, 02:57 PM

...charm arnold had back in his early days.
Conan charming?
Terminator charming?

You gotta be kidding me... Maybe in Twins and Kindergarten Cop...

But he certainly had a presence in front of the camera...
Old 04-04-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ughh, more people are starting to like "The Rock". What's this world coming to? Oh, and Arnold is way cooler than Rock will ever be.
Old 04-04-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Ughh, more people are starting to like "The Rock". What's this world coming to?

It must be the apocalypse!
Old 04-04-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Conan charming?
Terminator charming?

You gotta be kidding me... Maybe in Twins and Kindergarten Cop...

But he certainly had a presence in front of the camera...
Dutch, Hercules, John Matrix, Ben Richards, John Kimble

All roles that have charm, wit, charisma, and -ness oozing out of it. Arnold has on screen pressence and it shows. The Rock has the same type of "charm"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.