Reload this Page >

Bad News for Nick@Nite fans...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-22-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As if their horrendous editing (i.e. butchering) of our TV classics wasn't bad enough. Now they're producing a lineup of NEW shows that will start airing as early as this year. They will debut during the popular 9-10pm slots, but knowing N@N, they will probably creep futher past that. Granted, some of the shows do sound interesting... but they don't belong on N@N, "the home of Modern TV Classics." Not to mention, some of them sound like outright Nickelodeon daytime programming.

Here is a list of shows currently in production/development:

Fatherhood
Bill Cosby serves as executive producer of an animated series based on his best selling book, Fatherhood (Doubleday/Dolphin). Blair Underwood ("LA Law," "Sex and The City") stars. Charles Kipps ("Little Bill," "Cosby Mysteries," "Law & Order") is executive producer and David Brokaw ("Little Bill") is producer. (30 min.). Premieres: June '04

Exploding Baloney
Taking a cue from classic gags like the joy buzzer and hot pepper bubble gum, this hidden camera show features parents and teachers playing good-natured practical jokes on kids. Executive Producer Joe Boyd. (30 min.)
Series in Development

Alf's Hit Talk Show
TV's popular alien makes his triumphant return to prime time - this time as host of a television talk show who interviews celebrity guests. Executive Produced by Paul Fusco ("Alf") and Burt Dubrow ("The Tom Green Show," "Christopher Lowell," "Jerry Springer"). (30 min.)

Zen & Buster
Kelsey Grammer stars - in voice-over - in this animated series about Hollywood pets who navigate their way through life, as seen through the eyes of dogs. Series is being produced by Grammer's Grammnet Productions. (30 min.)

Kids Say The Darndest Things
Inspired by the famed Art Linkletter's House Party segment and the Bill Cosby edition of the same name, this American TV classic returns. Produced by Art Linkletter, Eddie Kritzer and Irvin Atkins. (30 min.)

Return Engagement
Actor and director Peter Bonerz ("Just Shoot Me," "Friends") is set to produce and direct this comedy about retired actors who inherit a Melrose Place-type apartment complex. (30 min.)

Take 2
Family sitcom about a classic TV star who becomes a psychologist and, despite being successful, is never able to escape the fact that he used to be a famous TV star. Created by Dan Schneider ("Big Fat Liar," "All That," "Kenan & Kel," "The Amanda Show"). (30 min.)

My Man Marty
A long lost, ahead-of-its-time sitcom is found in a television network vault and finally gets a slot on the network schedule. Executive Producers Kevin Kopelow and Heath Seifert ("Kenan & Kel," "Stripperella") (30 min.)

The Tommy Lynch Project
A behind-the-scenes comedy about a hidden camera dating show. Executive Producer Tommy Lynch (Nickelodeon's "Alex Mack," "Romeo"). (30 min.)

Read the press release here:
http://www.tvland.com/nickatnite/press/dec16_03.jhtml
Old 01-22-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly, Nick-at-Nite gave up on their mission long ago.

das
Old 01-22-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is it with all of these 'projects' and 'experiments'?

D
Old 01-22-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So basically, everything is either a sitcom about TV, a cartoon about TV, or some crappy reality TV.

Well, at least TVLand is still repeating some shows. Better than nothing.
Old 01-22-04, 09:10 PM
Suspended

This was the only channel I watched before I went to bed damnit!
Old 01-22-04, 11:59 PM

<shrug>

Every time I ever pass Nick at Night when channel surfing, they're always showing Full House. I guess I just assumed that that's all they ever showed....
Old 01-23-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Bad News for Nick@Nite fans...

Originally posted by vivarey
As if their horrendous editing (i.e. butchering) of our TV classics wasn't bad enough.
I havent seen the shows on Nick at Nite enough to know where something has been edited...I see things that feel a bit odd, but I havent noticed anything too out there, though Im sure if I knew some of these episodes by heart I would. I do hate how they run a promo overtop of the end of Wings (and even moreso that its ALWAYS the same one). Can anyone point out some examples, and is their version of Cheers any different than if I see the same episode on my local FOX affiliate which airs Cheers sometimes?
Old 01-23-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by xVladx
Every time I ever pass Nick at Night when channel surfing, they're always showing Full House. I guess I just assumed that that's all they ever showed....
That's odd, because it's only from 9-10pm. It's a good lead-in for the kiddies still watching.

Originally posted by ENDContra
I havent seen the shows on Nick at Nite enough to know where something has been edited...I see things that feel a bit odd, but I havent noticed anything too out there, though Im sure if I knew some of these episodes by heart I would. I do hate how they run a promo overtop of the end of Wings (and even moreso that its ALWAYS the same one). Can anyone point out some examples, and is their version of Cheers any different than if I see the same episode on my local FOX affiliate which airs Cheers sometimes?
N@N does their own in-house editing, and it's MUCH heavier than most networks (can't speak for TV Land). Many of their shows only have 1 commercial break during the show. I don't have any side-by-side comparisons, but I've noticed from my memory that sub-plots are often left unresolved, or even completely cut-out. Other jokes and material unnecessary to the main plot are shortened or left out too. It varies from show to show, though. I wish I had more evidence.
Old 01-23-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
looks like a barrel full of suck
Old 01-23-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Didn't Cosby's book come out, like, fifteen years ago?
You can tell N@N is owned by the same morons who own MTV.

It's weird, when I first started watching N@N, they were showing shows that were easily 20-30 years old. Stuff like Dennis the Menace, Hazel, Leave it to Beaver, etc. But now the average viewer has such a short attention span, they're playing stuff from maybe 5-10 years ago. And then these 'original programs'....
Dreck. And I just finished Season 1 of Mary Tyler Moore, so I'm stuck for classic tv....
Bring back Patty Duke!
Old 01-23-04, 11:42 AM

Anyone notice tvland is showing Cheers and Family Ties? I wonder if TVLand will take over for the Nick at Night Audience?
Old 01-23-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CaptStormy
Anyone notice tvland is showing Cheers and Family Ties? I wonder if TVLand will take over for the Nick at Night Audience?
Some time ago, TV Land supposedly promised viewers that it wouldn't turn into another Nick@Nite. But the word on the street is that many N@N shows (from the 80s and 90s) are being dumped on TV Land to cash in on the increased viewership of these programs. If you browse the N@N usenet group, which at this point is basically a TV Land group, you'll see most people are complaining and calling for a new classic TV network. There is one called the GoodLife TV Network, but I don't know much about it.
Old 01-23-04, 01:22 PM

Re: Bad News for Nick@Nite fans...

Originally posted by vivarey

Alf's Hit Talk Show
Say no more. This horrible idea for all this crap is worth it...
Old 01-23-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Phooey!
Old 01-23-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll give Alf a shot. But the rest of that sounds like a big stinking pile.
Old 01-23-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on ALF... if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Old 01-24-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should show some episodes of "ALF" and cross-promote the new show and the new Nick at Nite!
Old 01-26-04, 12:40 AM

I just hope the cosby show will be dropped in there somewhere...
Old 01-26-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This new schedule sounds kind of weird, but there is still TV Land. As long as they don't take the Wings hour away (3-4AM), I'll be happy. Whenever I'm still awake that late and I turn it on, I just have to watch it. Show still cracks me up.
Old 01-26-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^Same here if Im not watching a movie...theyve played the more recent episodes for so long, I forgot how great the opening credits for the show was when it first started. Now if I could only figure out the name of that Schubert piece.
Old 01-26-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With this new programming, I am sticking with TV Land much more solidly now.

It has always been the predominant channel in our house (coupled with GSN, and Travel Channel), so no new surprises, but I do not like original programming on cable, and Family Ties is a personal fav, so all is good.

Still waiting for FT on DVD!

--LVM