Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ROTK: Extended Edition details (SPOILERS!)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already, just when you thought you were satisfied with what we got (and we got something great) you learn that there is something even better to come. Even if you've seen ROTK by now you should consider these spoilers, although not as big as the ones for the released film.

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16689

- Word is that New Line are balking at the price for another Extended Edition, and may be farming out the FX to El Cheapo American FX House Inc rather than the high-quality excesses of WETA... our scooper (Toss the Dwarf) pointed out that this is strictly rumour-mill stuff, but remember who told you first.

I don't believe this. They have made so much money from the films and the DVD releases, and Jackson could never be so careless as to give this work over to people who don't have the experience WETA does on this project.

- This one isn’t going to come as a surprise, but for the record: we’ll be seeing Gandalf and his Power Rangers confronting Saruman after the Helm’s Deep battle, followed by the multi-coloured one falling to his death.

- Merry will pledge his allegiance to Theoden in a scene similar to the Pippin/Denethor bit. Toss points out that shots from this scene have appeared in an early ROTK teaser, as well as a *very* early LOTR teaser from way back in the beginning.

- Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen’s sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.

- From the horse’s mouth: ‘Remember the scene in which the Witch King is asked what he’s going to do with Gandalf, and he says I will break him? This pays off big time in a battle between the Witch King and Gandalf as Gandalf and Pippin ride to save Faramir from the pyre. At the end of the battle, the Witch King breaks Gandalf’s staff and then the Rohirrim turn up and the Witch King gets distracted. The beginning of this confrontation is one of the $$$ shots in the ROTK trailer: the Witch King’s fell beast landing on the ramparts in front of Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax.’

- ‘We see Gamling die on the Pelennor Fields theres a quick shot of Eomer bawling in the ROTK trailer.’ [sic]

There should be an AND in there, Eomer is NOT going to be bawling over Gamling. Eowyn maybe.

- ‘In the Houses of Healing, Aragorn heals Faramir, who then meets Eowyn and they fall in love. Aww.’

- ‘A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom. Their master is a ferocious orc captain with a whip. Remember the line heard over the sweeping shot of the orcs marching down through Mordor right after the Cirith Ungol sequence? That’s him, yelling Come on you slugs!.’

- ‘The Mouth of Sauron scene changes the emphasis of the entire final battle between men and orcs at the Black Gates. In the theatrical cut, Aragorn and Co. ride up to the gates, they open, and orcs come out to fight. In the extended version, they are greeted by the Mouth of Sauron (played by the Matrix’s Train Man, Bruce Spence), who has pointy teeth and a pointy helmet that covers his eyes (he doesn't need them, see? He's just a mouth). He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron. Aragorn believes him, and the heroes despair. Going into battle at the Black Gates, the heroes have no hope at all it’s their last stand for sure, and Aragorn’s line for Frodo refers to his sacrifice, not to buying time.’

----

These additions, plus others probably, will make ROTK monumentally incredible. I also expect more Denethor/Pippin/Gandalf material so that Denethor's character will undergo the same coolness redemption that Faramir did in TTT and Celeborn did in FOTR when they received their extended treatments. Damnit I want this now!
Old 12-19-03, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call me a cynic but I'm not sure how much of this I believe. The whole Aragorn and Co. originally thinking Frodo is dead at the sight of his mithril, this is a rumor that has never been substantiated but some have taken as fact. And frankly I think it would be a mistake at this point to completely change the meaning of Aragorn's line so drastically. Eomer crying over Gamling? Riiiiiiight.

Last edited by Rivero; 12-19-03 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-19-03, 06:05 PM
Banned

Also, how is it that Frodo's mithril vest can stop the spear of a vicious cave troll but can't stop the sting of Shelob?
Old 12-19-03, 06:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Shelob's stinger is really, really pointy while the cave troll's spear is rudimentary and dull? I haven't watched FOTR in a while, though.
Old 12-19-03, 07:05 PM
Suspended

maybe she stung him in the leg and you can't tell cuz it's off camera

I figured th bawling Eomer part was him crying over Theoden. I thought I remembered something like that from the book....
Old 12-19-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Also, how is it that Frodo's mithril vest can stop the spear of a vicious cave troll but can't stop the sting of Shelob?
Did you notice where the sting wound was on him when he was stripped of the shirt in Cirith Ungol? I think she got him where the vest didn't cover, near the collarbone. Either that, or her stinger really is worse than anything else.

And as I pointed out, the Gamling confusion is probably the result of bad grammar by the original reporter. Eomer is either mourning Theoden or Eowyn after a battle wound that causes her to need treatment in the Houses of Healing alongside Faramir.

The Mouth of Sauron material was shot, so it makes sense that they would show the mithril shirt just like the book, to psych out the Gondorian enemy.
Old 12-19-03, 08:41 PM

sting was on the neck
Old 12-19-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah
Did you notice where the sting wound was on him when he was stripped of the shirt in Cirith Ungol? I think she got him where the vest didn't cover, near the collarbone. Either that, or her stinger really is worse than anything else.

I thought the writers were really paying attention and the circular wound on Frodo was the still existing bad bruise from when the troll TRIED to impale him, but the mithril saved him.

The other wound of course, was the Witch King's stab.

Shelob's wound/sting was into Frodo's back, and it could have been in a place other than through mithril.
Old 12-19-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
As for the EE aintitcool report - I had trouble even reading it - bad writing and probably not totally accurate reporting. I could have written about the same, actually.
Old 12-20-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Most of these are common sense or are already known. Merry giving his service to Theoden was in the first promo trailer released very early in production.

As for the Mouth of Sauron, he gives Gandalf the mithril shirt and says something about the halflings being Gandalf's "spys". While the company thinks that the ring is lost, the Mouth never says anything about it.
Old 12-20-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Seeker
As for the EE aintitcool report - I had trouble even reading it - bad writing and probably not totally accurate reporting. I could have written about the same, actually.

haven't been to AICN before?
Old 12-24-03, 05:39 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goddam I hope those scenes (and many more) are in the EE.

And **** New Line if they dont pay WETA what they deserve.
Old 12-24-03, 07:24 AM

Actually, yes, the Mouth Of Sauron scene was shot, If I recall it was played by Bruce Spence, the guy who was the Gyrocoptor captain from Road Warrior. This was one (of many) scenes I was really looking forward to, and was disappointed to not see in the theatrical release. I think it will add alot of power to an already powerful scene. But since it changes the meaning of "For Frodo", it may seem kind of odd for some people.
Old 12-24-03, 09:57 AM

re read the mouth of sauron part of the book, seems like gandalf reasons that if frodo really was captured (mouth tells them that he has been captured, shows the mithril, etc), then sauron would have the ring back.

but since mouth is trying to "negotiate" with them, gandalf concludes its all a bluff.
Old 12-28-03, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just watched the National Geographic "Beyond the Movie" disc for the Return of the King, and they showed a few brief excerpts of scenes that were NOT in the theatrical cut of the film (probably because they needed a cut early enough to release their disc the day before the film opened theatrically).

In any case, two scenes that I noticed were Merry's swearing allegiance to Rohan and Theoden telling him to get up, and Legolas joining Gimli and a bunch of rough men in a drinking game.

I'd imagine these would be in the EE eventually.
Old 12-28-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jough
Just watched the National Geographic "Beyond the Movie" disc for the Return of the King, and they showed a few brief excerpts of scenes that were NOT in the theatrical cut of the film (probably because they needed a cut early enough to release their disc the day before the film opened theatrically).

In any case, two scenes that I noticed were Merry's swearing allegiance to Rohan and Theoden telling him to get up, and Legolas joining Gimli and a bunch of rough men in a drinking game.

I'd imagine these would be in the EE eventually.
That sounds cool, should I watch that? Is it a good program or is it kind of lightweight and boring?
Old 12-28-03, 04:37 PM
Banned

It'll likely be in the Gift Set of ROTK...
Old 12-29-03, 02:30 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

from another poster, this website has shots from trailers that were not seen in the TE of ROTK.

http://www.freewebs.com/lord_ofthe_...LostScenes.html

its clear that at least the following scenes were cut:

Gandalf vs. With King

Merry pledges allegiance to Theoden

Houses of Healing

The Crossroads

...and hopefully more to come.
Old 12-29-03, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The National Geographic special was a little weak.

For those complaining about the lack of one in the Two Towers: EE set, though: This disc comes with a $5.00 MovieCash certificate to see Return of the King in theatres.

I guess you'd have to go see it in one of those second-run ghetto theatres though to see it for free.
Old 12-30-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Always glad to see Spence get more work. Just hoping the Aussie accent doesn't come through too strong.
Old 01-02-04, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Jepthah
- Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen’s sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.
Although Aragorn's use of the palantir is in the book, I wonder how they'll make it work in the movie -- considering that we already see the palantir knock Aragorn on his ass when he wrestles it from Pippin. Maybe as another way of showing his growing acceptance of his Kingship?
- ‘A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom.’
Although I know this was filmed, it's the only rumored addition I think I can do without. Nothing really comes of it -- the Orcs still move off to confront Aragorn et al at the Black Gate -- and I fear it'll slow the momentum of Frodo & Sam's final push to Mount Doom.
Old 01-02-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Skorp
Although Aragorn's use of the palantir is in the book, I wonder how they'll make it work in the movie -- considering that we already see the palantir knock Aragorn on his ass when he wrestles it from Pippin. Maybe as another way of showing his growing acceptance of his Kingship?
Maybe it was because the palantir was already "on" and Aragorn hadn't properly prepared himself to use it.

Although I know this was filmed, it's the only rumored addition I think I can do without. Nothing really comes of it -- the Orcs still move off to confront Aragorn et al at the Black Gate -- and I fear it'll slow the momentum of Frodo & Sam's final push to Mount Doom.
At least it will help to lengthen their journey through Mordor. With all the time it takes them to actually enter mordor, the trip to Mt. Doom seems to only take an afternoon.

There's one brief scene in Mordor I hope will be in the EE:
Spoiler:
Frodo is sleeping and Sam in keeping watch, looking up at the dark night sky. A patch of the perpetual clouds opens, and a single star is shining. This gives the nearly exhausted Sam the will to continue for the final leg of the journey.

I also hope they show them getting rid of the orc-garb, and it's there in on scene and gone the next.
Old 01-02-04, 11:14 AM
Banned

Yeah...Frodo and Sam's journey to Mt. Doom should be longer...its way too quick in the Theatrical...
Old 01-09-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TheOneRing.net is reporting that this is going to be 4hr and 15 mins, not 4hr and 50 as previously reported.
Old 01-09-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the National Geographic disc there's a scene with Gimli and
Legolas in the celebration in Rohan. Gimli and Legolas are about
to enter a drinking contest and Gimli describes what a drinking
contest is to Legolas.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.