Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Recently Finished and Now Playing thread.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-04-04, 09:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a thread like this last year that I though was pretty interesting. I figured it best to start a new rather than bump one that had been dead for months. Plus I wanted to add a couple sections.

Basically, just divide your post into "recently finished," "now playing," "on the docket" (currently available games you plan on playing next), "on the back burner" (games you tired of and put back on the shelf to give another spin later on) and "coming soon" (games coming out in the future you're looking forward to.

I think it's interesting to see what people are playing, plus you can tell which members are into the same type of games as you and put more stock in their reviews/impressions.

Recently Finished:

Ratchet and Clank(PS2)- great game, one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)- great game. Liked Harmony of Dissonance a little better, but still a fantastic game.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike (GC)- unlocked and finished every mission except the last bonus mission
Spoiler:
which is endurance which I didn't bother with as I hated that mission in Rogue Leader
It's a very fun game, but was way easier than it's prequels. I traded it for Halo on the trade forum as I couldn't see myself replaying the single player quest and had no one to do the co-op missions with.

Soul Calibur 2 (GC)- beat every mission in the Quest Mode

Star Wars: KOTOR (X-box)- Finished the light side quest at 100% light with a Soldier/Jedi Sentinel

Madden 2004(X-box)- Not that you can ever finish it, but I won the super bowl and have played sparingly since.
Now playing:

Jak and Daxter (PS2)- not bad, not great. Pales in comparison to R&C.

Now Playing:

These games are listed in the order that they are receiving playing time from greatest to least.

Halo(X-box)- picked this up in a trade on the forum here. It's getting the bulk of my play time now that I finished R&C. Getting ready to start the fourth level. I'm playing on Normal. I read tons of posts saying to play at least on heroic, but I suck at FPS's and am getting my ass kicked on Normal. I'll play through the whole game on Normal and try the harder difficulties afterwards in hopes that I'll get better.

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)- Just picked this up used. Only played for a few minutes.

Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC)Trying to unlock everything. Having fun, but getting frustrated as it seems like it's at least 90% lucky on whether or not you win on 150cc. It all comes down to getting good items at the right time, and not having the computer f you up at the wrong times.

I also have a few classic games like Mario Allstars and Mario World that I'm piddling around with here and there when I only have a few minutes to kill.

On the Docket:

Beyond Good and Evil (X-box)- Picked it up for $20 today. Probably won't touch it until I finish at least one of my other games listed in the now playing sections, but it's definitely the next game I'm playing

Panzer Dragoon Orta- just bought it on the trade forum.

Zelda- Oracle of Seasons (GBA)- I've had a game in progress that I haven't touched in months due to being stuck at a boss. I really need to finish this.

KOTOR- need to do the dark jedi quest some time.

Several games I want to pick up when I can find a deal, including FFX-2, Ratchet and Clank 2, Crimson Skies, PGR2, Prince of Persia, and LOTR: ROTK. FF X-2 is the only one of these I could see paying full price for.

On top of these, there's a several older games available cheap I want to pick up including, Pikmin, Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance, Sly Cooper, and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

On the back burner:

Rygar (PS2)- got this new for $5. It's pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of these type of games. Still, I like it much better than Devil May Cry, I'll probably give it another chance sometime if I can trade it for something on the forum.

Mark of Kri (PS2)- pretty much the same as Rygar, except I got it for $10.

Coming Soon:

Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)- can't wait for this one.

Other than that, I haven't paid much attention to what's coming out this year. I'll be all over any Gamecube sequels to Mario, Metroid and Zelda which are all rumored to be coming, as well as the rumored new GBA Zelda. I'll probably pick up Halo 2, though that is rumored to be delayed until around X-mas now in the newest EGM.

I'll probably mainly catch up on the older games mentioned in my on the docket section.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-08-04 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-04-04, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recently finished
Terminator Dawn of Fate (Xbox): nothing really ground breaking but it was enjoyable enough

Mace Griffin (Xbox): Just another FPS really. Got fed up w/ a couple of levels though so I broke out the cheat codes
Half-Life (PS2): Same comment as Mace Griffin really

On-goingKung-Fu Chaos (Xbox): Just a little over 50% unlocked so far so a long way to go...

Halo (Xbox): Only 3 levels left to complete on legendary then I'm done w/ all of it
Baldur's Gate (PS2): Going to replay it on the hardest level

Just starting
Buffy/X-Men (Xbox): Just borrowed them from a friend

The Thing (Xbox): Played it a little as a rental but finally bought it

SW: Bounty Hunter (PS2): Same as The Thing
As you can see I mainly play older games (it's cheaper that way)
Old 01-04-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently Finished - Mario Kart DD. Unlocked everything, Golds in everything in just over a week of play.

Now Playing - Splinter Cell (GC), Rebel Strike

Future - All the Link games that came with my GC. And Manhunt
Old 01-04-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now playing:

1. Empires: Dawn of the Modern World (PC)
2. Ninja Five-O (GBA): It's a pretty good old-school game for $13.
3. Metroid Fusion (GBA)

Recently finished:
1. The Titans (Age of Mythology expansion pack) (PC)
2. Star Wars: KOTOR (Light and Dark Side quests) (Xbox)
3. True Crime: Streets of L.A. (Xbox): Probably my favorite game of the past year.

Upcoming in the next month:
1. Command and Conquer: Generals (PC)
2. Prince of Persia (Xbox)

Who knows when I'll get to the following:
1. GTA Double Pack (Xbox)
2. Warcraft III (PC)
3. Neverwinter Nights (PC)
4. Metroid Prime (GC)

Games I've played and just haven't finished recently:
1. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA): I've beaten the main quest, but not all the side quests.
2. Simpsons -- Hit and Run (Xbox): Pretty fun as a diversion.
3. Serious Sam (PC): I just got bored with it.
4. Soul Calibur II (GC): Not a very fun one player game, IMO.

And that's not counting other games, like Buffy and Splinter Cell that I've bought during one of Toys R Us's sales.
Old 01-04-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently Finished:

Zelda Wind Waker - Finally got around to finishing this game. Wow! Outstanding gameplay, design, graphics, music, story, etc. This is my GotY!

Now Playing:

Animal Crossing (GC) - Finally got this game for Xmas. Like most Nintendo games....addicting! I'm trying to pay off my debt so I can add a second story to my house!

Mario Kart Double Dash (GC) - Unlocked everything in November but still having so much fun playing this game. The best MK of them all. Giant bananas and bob-ombs rule!

Mario Party 5 (GC) - Not only is MP5 much better than the disappointing MP4, but it's also the best MP of the series!

Pac-Man Vs (GC/GBA) - Multiplayer nirvana! A must have for every gamer who owns both a GC and GBA.

Coming Soon:

Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - Remake of the original with new graphics, areas, abilities, storyline etc....holy crap!

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC) - This game looks beautiful plus it comes with a free GC/GBA cable if you preorder.
Old 01-04-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Recently finished:

Deus Ex: Invisible War
Freedom Fighters

Now playing:

Rainbow Six 3
Crimson Skies
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna
Contract J.A.C.K.

Still have to finish, but haven't played in awhile:

Metroid Prime
Zelda: The Wind Waker

Future games:

Harvest Moon
Old 01-05-04, 06:19 AM

Recently Finished:

Ratchet and Clank 2:Going Commando(PS2):
47 hoursish of gaming goodness, I want the sequel now.

Conkers Bad Fur Day(N64):
Rare lost their talent last gen not this gen.

Metal Arms:Glitch in the System(GC):
THE sleeper hit of 2003, there better be a sequel.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy(GC):
If it wasn't for Metal Arms this would be my sleeper of 2003. Zelda gameplay with a jump button,two character system and more puzzles. Shame there wasn't any voice acting to go along with the great facial animation.

Ape Escape 2 (PS2):
Great game but to damn easy.

Now Playing:

Beyond Good and Evil (GC)

On the Docket:

All recently purchased/received except MP

Prince of Persia (GC)
Splinter Cell (GC)
I-Ninja (PS2)
Ninja Five-O (GBA)
Fatal Frame (PS2)
Fatal Frame 2 (PS2)
Kya: Dark Lineage (PS2)
Ico (PS2) *Finished before just going through again.
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Space Channel 5:SE (PS2)
Metroid Prime (GC)*Going through again on Hard, got side tracked in the middle because of R&C2 and other games.

On the Back Burner:

Chu Chu Rocket (GBA)
Ikaruga (GC)
Resident Evil:Remake (GC) *Played the original, in no hurry to finish this one.
Skies of Arcadia:Legends (GC)
Sonic Mega Collection (GC) *Played most of the originals, no hurry to finish them again.
The Legend of Zelda Collection (GC) *Finished the originals except for Majora's Mask.
The Legend of Zelda:OoT Master Quest (GC)
Wave Race:Blue Storm (GC)
Baldur's Gate 2:The Shadows of Amn (PC) *Have owned since release day, I'm in an RPG rut as you'll see here.
Fallout 2 (PC)
Icewind Dale (PC)
Arc the Lad Collection (PS1)
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Final Fantasy 8,9,10 (PS1,2)
Grandia (PS1)
Legend of Legaia (PS1)
Star Ocean:Second Story (PS1)
Suikoden 2 (PS1)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Xenogears (PS1)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
Wizardry:Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2)
Tenchu:Wrath of Heaven (PS2)
Socom 2, single player (PS2)

Think that's all of them.. heh

Coming Soon: *First half of 2004
This isn't a complete list, only the ones I'm most interested in. 98% chance I'll own all of these.

Maximo Vs. The Army of Zin (PS2)
R-Type Final (PS2)
Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel (PS2) *Have a feeling this one isn't gonna turn out good though.
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 (PS2) *Same as Fallout:BoS.
Champions of Norrath:Realms of Everquest (PS2)
Gradius V (PS2)
Metal Slug 3 (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC)
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GC)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
River City Ransom (GBA)
Metal Slug Advance (GBA)
Growlanser Generations (PS2)
Old 01-05-04, 06:23 AM

just got my cube so MKDD, Mario Sunshine and Metroid

also for xbox - Armed and Dangerour and Beyond Good and evil with some PGR2 when I need to race
Old 01-05-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Recently Finished:
None

Currently Playing:
Fire Emblem (GBA)

To be played next:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Silent Hill 3 (PC)
Broken Sword 3 (PC)
Old 01-05-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Recently finished: SW: KOTOR
Now playing GTA III (X BOX)
Old 01-05-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recently Finished:
Midtown Madness 3 - Undercover missions, didn't bother with sprints, etc. fun on Live though.
Crimson Skies - Excellent single-player campaign. Fun on Live as well.
Deus Ex: Invisible War - Not bad...Not great either, well worth a rental though.
KotOR - First computer RPG I've ever been able to play. Look forward to running through this one again.

Currently Playing:
GTA 3 (XBox) - Trying to get 100% since I never did with the PS2 version.
Super Monkey Ball - Off and on, having a hard time sticking with this game, just not my cup of tea it seems.
Top Spin - Still trying for that #1 ranking and Grand Slam win.

True Crime and Dead to Rights (XBox) - rentals. Neither not holding my attention very well, would rather play through GTA3 again.

To be played next:
FF 7 - Since my only play through was on the PC and I cheated to complete that.
FF 8 - I'm committed to getting through this one at least once.
FF Tactics - Also committed to getting through this one although I've never gotten more than two battles in before I lose interest and play something else.
(long list of old-school RPG's to finally play through)
Old 01-05-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now Playing:
Mario & Luigi (GBA): I just beat all the Koopalings, so I'm at the end, Level 47.. want to level up some more before I crush the last boss(es).

Tales of Phantasia (SNES): Finally able to play the english translation on my actual SNES. Games like this remind me of how bland most RPGs are today.

YS VI: The Ark of Napishtim (Windows): If all new games looked and played like this, the world would be a better place. Rumor is this may actually come out in English for all 3 consoles in 2004.

Coming Up:
Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny 2 (aka Tales of Eternia), Tales of Phantasia (PSX): Might as well play through the rest of the series while I'm at it!! Phantasia PSX is Japanese only but that's okay, I'll really like to see the new version, plus the battle system is more like ToD. If my friend actually gets her Japanese PS2, I will buy the REAL Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Destiny 2 here was really Tales of Eternia in Japan).

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SNES): English translation doesn't work on my copier, so I'll have to suck it up and play it on my PC.. what a bunch of crap.

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (Turbo Duo): I don't care if it's in Japanese, this game kicks ass and is so much cooler than the other Ys IV. Feena and Lair give me the hot.

Secret of Mana 2 (aka Seiken Densetsu 3) (SNES): Started playing the English translation but got sidetracked by Tales.. I'll get to it eventually.

Dragon Quest V (SNES): Better refresh my memory and play through this again so I can compare it to the upcoming PS2 remake.

Waiting Impaitently For:
METROID ZERO MISSION (GBA)
Old 01-05-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Recently Finished:

Um, nothing. Been out of gaming for a while, and the few things I've been playing have been open-ended [Heroes of Might and Magic III: SoD]

Now Playing:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance [PS2]
fun dungeon crawl, playing co-op with my wife since our computers aren't networked anymore and we can't play Diablo II. Plus, it's a little different playing on a 60" screen ; )

Final Fantasy X: While I wouldn't buy a console for one game, this is the game I had in mind when I was asking for a PS2 for Christmas. I'm only a couple hours into it, because I can only play for decent periods of time when the baby is asleep, and when he's asleep, the wife wants to play BDA. But I do really like this one so far, I like the sci-fi/future aspect of it. Plus, by the time I get done with it, FFX-2 might be a Greatest Hit.

ATV Offroad Fury 2: Came with the PS2 online pack. Not my type of game normally, but pretty fun. Although I suck; I think I'm stuck on like the third race.

Grand Theft Auto III: Bought the Double Pack from Target for 32$; going to see how far I get on this one before getting into Vice City. It's definitely 'mature', but also very intense.

Back Burner:

Grandia II [DC]: I was replaying this one before I got my PS2. Don't know if I'll go back and continue it, at least for a while.

Popful Mail [Sega CD]: Unpacked the old Sega Gen/CD/32x monstrosity and realized that what I had remembered as being a PITA to setup, was actually very easy. So I hooked this up in the bonus room, and started playing Popful Mail again for when the missus claims the big tv. Harder than I remember, or else I just lost the reflexes.

Coming Up:
Not really a whole lot, I just started all of the above, and my problem is dabbling in a bunch of games and never finishing any of them. I know GTA is pretty wide open, but BGA is linear and completeable. When we beat BGA, Champions of Norrath looks pretty good, and has the random dungeonmaker.

New-release wise, Disgaea is tempting [I like the strat/rpgs, and have enjoyed Atlus's previous work.]

Grandia 1 on PS1, I wanted to like--I played GII on DC first, and loved it--but G1 after about 25-30 hours seemed to start dragging and get boring.

Previews for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 have it being 'more of the same', which while not necessarily a bad thing, make Champions of Norrath look a little better.
Old 01-05-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recently Finished:

Dungeons and Dragons Heroes (X-box) finished before starting KOTOR. It was okay, held my attention to finish it.

Star Wars: KOTOR (X-box)- Finished the dark side quest at 100% dark with a Soldier/Jedi Guardian. My Opinion: Great game, better storyline than the recent movies. Ugly glitches that actually stop gameplay until you go back to a previous save file and in at least one case, even going back to a save file right before the glitch required playing through a couple of hours again (the Carth glitch), but probably to be expected in a RPG (I have not played too may RPGs)

Now Playing:
Just finished KOTOR over the weekend, but have a game going in Crimson Skies.

On the Docket:
Rainbow Six 3 (received as Christmas present)
Picked up GTA double pack (X-Box) this weekend.
More Crimson Skies
More X-Box Live.

On the back burner:

Metroid Fusion. Got stuck at the boss battle against the SA-X and have not went back to it.
Metroid Prime. (bought an X-Box and got sucked into Halo, etc Need to go back to it.)
Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
DOA III

My son got a GBA (I already had one, but haven't been playing much) with one of the Mario Advance games & the PacMan collection, so I'll probably play a little of each of those. When my son is not playing the Mario game, my wife is, so it may be a while.

Coming Soon:

Eagerly awaiting RE 4, and of course Halo 2.

Last edited by sniper308; 01-05-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-05-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Currently Playing:

HALO- beat it on Easy and Normal, trying Heroic next.

Viewtiful Joe-- This game is so fun, might be my favorite of 2003

On Deck--

Harvest Moon

Mario Kart
Old 01-05-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Recently finished:
None

Currently Playing:

Final Fantasy X--fought the last boss once but didn't quite make it, so back to running around doing little side quests and building up a bit.

Animal Crossing--rental game, totally stupid yet addictive; I'll probably end up buying it.

Last edited by Ginwen; 01-05-04 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-05-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Cuurently playing XIII
Old 01-05-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Recently finished
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Now Playing
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Medal of Honor: Breakthrough
NCAA Football 2004

Back Burner
TimeSplitters 2
MechAssault

Next Up
Metroid Prime
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
Old 01-05-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished -
Batman Rise of Sin Tzu (I like brainless fighting games)
Got to last boss in Alter Echo then got bored but finished 98% of the game.
ESPN NCAA Bball (2 seasons, won championship both times)

Now Playing -
NCAA Basketball by EA
LOTR the Two Towers (surprised on how much I like this game!)

Always Playing -
World Series Baseball 2k3 (I can't put this game down. Besides player models I don't know how Sega is going to top this one!)
Old 01-05-04, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Recently finished: Zelda Wind Waker

Now Playing: Halo pc multiplayer...endless fun.
Castlevania AoS on GB Player
Prince of Persia (GC)

Docket: Socom 2
Call of Duty pc

Back Burner: Mario Advance SMW (taken over by AoS)

Getting BG&E (gc) when I can find it cheap.

Most wanted: Metroid Zero Mission, Metal Gear Twin Snakes, RE 4, RE Outbreak
Old 01-05-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Getting BG&E (gc) when I can find it cheap.
one word... GAMECRAZY ... 20 bucks (all versions) at the hollywood video videogame store that is around certain HV stores

Anyways

Now playing: Beyond Good and Evil (xbox) and XIII (xbox)
Recently Finished: Nothing recent
Old 01-05-04, 01:28 PM

Recently Finished:

Splinter Cell (PC) - finished 2 days ago!
Jak & Daxter (PS2) - I loved the final boss battle.
Runaway (PC)
Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)

Now Playing:
Final Fantasy X-2 - having fun - in chapter 5 now.
Mario Golf (GC)
Mario & Luigi (GBA)
Post Mortem (PC)

On the Docket:
Elite Force II (PC)
Indiana Jones (Xbox)
Starfox (GC)

Too many games to list for upcoming that I have but haven't had a chance to get to yet...
Old 01-05-04, 05:47 PM

Just got my GameCube and love it so far;

Recently Finished

Zelda - The Original

Now Playing

Metroid Prime
Old 01-05-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recently Finished:

FFX
KOTOR
Return of the King
Gitaroo Man

Now Playing:

Xenosaga
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
Root Beer Tapper (Midway's Arcade Treasures, Xbox)
Otogi
Old 01-05-04, 07:24 PM

Recently finished:
Madden NFL 2004 (GC)
Treasure Planet (PS2)

Now Playing:
Burnout 2 (GC)
Lemmings (SNES)
Rayman 3 (GC)

On the Docket:
Final Fantasy IX (PS)
Metroid Prime (GC)
Ultimate Brain Games (PS)
Virtua Racing (Genesis)

Coming Soon:
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (GC)
Gradius V (PS2)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.